Bay Creek Beat
February 9, 2016
It was a great weekend for Bay Creek! Our Orchestra department and Ms. Whitney Duncan hosted Violapalooza at Bay Creek on Saturday. It was a great event for students and orchestra teachers across the district to spend time at Bay Creek enjoying and exploring their orchestra talents. More great news from our girls’ basketball team! They beat Crews Middle School and will advance to the semi-finals this Wednesday, February 10th. The game will be at Brookwood High School and the girls take the court at 5:00 pm. We’re playing Five Forks Middle School this round. Go Lady Rams!
Spring Picture Day
Wednesday, February 10th
Remind your child to bring their best smile to school on Wednesday!
Early Release – February 24th and 25th
Spring early release days are coming up in a few weeks. Students will be dismissed at 1:30 pm on Wednesday, February 24th and Thursday, February 25th. Classroom teachers will be scheduling conferences with parents throughout the week of early release. Teachers prioritize conferences based on how students are performing in their classes. This means that students that are in danger of failing one or more classes are top priority for conferences. If you are concerned about your child’s academic performance, and would like to request a teacher conference, please reach out to your child’s homeroom teacher to schedule that conference.
Dates for your Calendar
- Talent Show: The next big event for Bay Creek is the annual Talent Show on February 13, 2016 at 6:00 pm. The event will be held at Grayson High School in the auditorium. Students are currently trying out for the Talent Show, and this year the Bay Creek teachers and administration will also be on stage to show our talent too! Tickets are $5.00 and will go on sale Thursday and Friday during homeroom. Tickets will also be sold at the door. Plan to get there early to get a good seat!
- Annual Career Day – February 25, 2016 – We are currently looking for volunteers to present information about their careers to our students. A link to sign up is located on our school webpage.
- 3. School Dance Updated Dates:
a. 6th Grade: March 18, 2016
b. 7th Grade: February 19, 2016
c. 8th Grade: May 13, 2016
- Fine Arts Night: Last year we held our first Fine Arts Night, and we have the date for this year’s Fine Arts Night set for April 14, 2016 at 6:30 pm. Student art work will be on display in a gallery set up and we will have several performances from our band, chorus, orchestra, and guitar programs. This event is sure to be another great community event! Mark your calendars and plan to come and enjoy our world-class arts programs.
Bay Creek Communication Tools
If you are looking for ways to locate updates and upcoming events at Bay Creek, there are several different ways we communicate with parents. Please refer to the list below. As the district has moved to the eCLASS platform, teachers no longer have individual webpages. Parental access to eClass is not yet available; therefore we encourage parents to log into their child’s eCLASS page and review homework and upcoming classroom assignments.
a. The Bay Creek Beat – a weekly newsletter sent out via email, you can sign up to receive the Bay Creek Beat on our school webpage.
b. The Bay Creek Webpage: www.baycreekrams.com/home.html
c. Like our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/bcmsrams
d. Download the Connect 2 Grayson App for your iPhone or Android device.
The seventh grade school dance is just around the corner. The date for the dance is February 19th from 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm. Payments are now being accepted on Meal Pay Plus. We will also sell tickets in the morning next week. Tickets are $8 and students must have a signed permission slip to purchase a ticket. Permission slips are available online and in homeroom. No tickets will be sold at the door. Students must purchase tickets in advance.
If a student receives a referral, he/she will be unable to attend the 7th grade Rock Eagle Field Trip. A reimbursement will be made to the parent if the parent has paid and the child is unable to attend to due to a referral.
February 29 - Save the date! This is the Grayson High School Rising 9th Grade Parent night. All students and parents of current 8th graders are invited and encouraged to attend this evening. The meetings are tentatively planned as follows:
5:30 PM Parent Meetings
6:00 PM General Session
6:15 PM Course Rotations
7:30 PM All sessions end
The music department is in the midst of preparing their students for the annual LGPE (Large Group Performance Evaluation) concerts. LGPE is an evaluation process for musical performance and sight-reading abilities for individual students, performing groups, and teachers. Performance Evaluation participation affords valuable opportunity and motivation for learning during an extended period of time prior to the event as part of regularly scheduled school work. Last year all of our music programs received great results and we look forward to another year of great results!
This week is FBLA week! Students in FBLA will be taking the FBLA State On-line test in a variety of business categories on Wednesday and Thursday. FBLA members are also selling candy grams to spread joy and smiles to others. Candy grams will be delivered on Friday to students' homerooms. In addition, there is a dress for success homeroom contest on Wednesday, February 10th. The winning homeroom will receive a Krispy Kreme donut party on February 26th.
Helping Your Child Build Positive Social Relations
For our children to succeed in life, they need to finish school and master work skills. But the most important skill they’ll need is the ability to get along with their supervisors, co-workers, neighbors, friends, relatives, and family members. Parents and teachers need to help young people master proper social and relationship skills before they enter the world of work. Several strategies for strengthening social relations are listed below.
- At a young age encourage your children to interact with children of different races, religions, cultures, and socio-economic levels. Invite their friends into your house.
- Adults must model proper social skills.
- Teach children kindness. Just because someone is rude to them, they shouldn’t return the rudeness. Revenge doesn’t work!
- Tell your child the cold but true fact, “Not everyone is going to like you.”
- Tell your child not to believe everything they hear their classmates say. Adolescents love to gossip, and much of what they say is greatly exaggerated.
- Parents should encourage their children to get involved in clubs, church, sports, and other activities that bring children of all races and cultures together. A good coach, club leader, or youth pastor can be a great teacher of relationship skills.
- Remind your child to carefully monitor who he or she “hangs out” with. If others are being rude, it is okay to walk away.
“The friends you keep determine the trouble you meet.”
Do you know you can disable certain features on apps so they are no longer a problem for your child? CNN posted a great article on "What parents need to know about Social Media" by author Christine Elgersma, Common Sense Media blogger. Even when new apps come along, adding new features such as the ability to disappear or track your location, they're often not that different from other apps that you are already familiar with, however, you need to know what to look for. Click here to read the informative article.
Spring Intramural Sports will resume on Monday, February 22. We will meet at 8:20 am. Mondays are for 6th graders, Thursdays are for 7th graders, and Fridays are for 8th graders. Running Club, which is part of intramural sports will meet on Tuesdays and is open to all.
Dr. Maggie Fehrman
Bay Creek Middle School