Barry 5th Grade Team Black
September 11, 2020
Wednesday, September 30th: PLC-Early Release (2-hour early dismissal)
- Please check your child's planner to monitor their behavior chart, and keep updated on what we are doing in class.
- Please make sure to only clean out a trapper with your child as there may be pieces of work that they are working on throughout multiple days and don't want to have those thrown away.
- We recommend that you child have a sweatshirt or jacket kept in their lockers at all times if possible for those days like this week that get unusually chilly.
What's Happening in 5th Grade?
- Patterns with exponents and powers of ten
- Understanding whole number place value (through the billions)
- Decimals to the thousandths
- Understanding decimal place value
- Comparing decimals
- Rounding decimals
We will be taking the STAR reading assessment next week and determining the student's AR goals based on their results. I will be also giving running records to get an updated reading level on each child.
For writing, we are focusing on parts of speech, sentence writing, and paragraph writing. These foundation points will make writing larger pieces more manageable and enjoyable.
Once these units are complete we will begin our first reading unit focusing on making inferences using fiction text. Our focus is supporting thoughts citing from texts. The kids will be asked to write a SMART answer. This is using a strategy called RACE (restate, answer, cite, explain). We will practice this all year.
For homework, the kids will have a nightly requirement of reading for 30 minutes. Check with your child occasionally about how they are doing with meeting their goals. To ensure meeting that goal, consistency is important. Please help to remind them to be responsible and take the time needed to complete this homework expectation.