Fabick's Friday Flash
Classroom Update for Room 107
Dates to Remember
October 29th - Chick Assessment
October 31st - Halloween Parade and Party
The Halloween Parade will be begin at 1:45. Third grade as well as the rest of the school will parade around the building before returning to their homerooms for a Halloween Party.
Since the third grade recess ends at 1:30, I am asking that you send your child to school dressed in his/her basic Halloween costume. Finishing touches can then be added to the costumes in the classroom.
Looking forward to seeing all of you on Thursday! Happy Halloween!
Homework - Week of October 28th
Read for at least 60 minutes.
Spelling: Unit 6 due Friday (p. 45, 46, 48, 49).
Math: Home Links 3-1, 3-2. Practice your math facts on X-tra Math.
Language Arts: Common and Proper Nouns p. 6 in booklet.
Chick Study Guide
- Embyology is the study of the devlopment of an embryo.
- An egg needs to be fertile to hatch.
- The chalaza cords keep the yolk in the middle of the egg.
- The yolk provides food and energy for the chick.
- The shell provides calcium and protects the embryo.
- The germinal disc is the spot of fertilization.
- The shell is a shock absorber for the embryo.
- It takes 21 days for a chicken egg to hatch.
- An incubator is a human made container for hatching eggs.
- The temperature in the incubator is measured with a thermometer.
- The eggs need to be turned 3 times a day.
- Turning the eggs prevents the embryo from sticking to the shell.
- Add water to the incubator to increase moisture during incubation.
- The chicks are weak and look wet after they hatch.