Blue Valley North's Parent Newsletter - February 11, 2022
In this Newsletter …
A Letter from Your Principal
2nd Semester Elective Course Fees Now Due
Parent/Teacher Conference Info
NHS Student Blood Drive - 2/24
Kudos and Celebrations
BVN Bell Schedules
Mark Your Calendar
- New Winter Activity Guide
Durham Bus Information
A Letter from Your Principal
Hello Mustang Community,
We are looking forward to Parent-Teacher Conferences are next week, February 14 - 18. Sign-ups will be open through Feb. 11, at 2:30 p.m. Please mark your calendars when there is no school on Friday, Feb.18, and Monday, Feb.21.
Given the virtual nature of these conferences and the time available, I would encourage you to talk to your child, check grades on Canvas, and decide if a Parent-Teacher conference is necessary. If you and your child are happy with how things are going and with your student’s progress in class, a conference is not necessary at this time. Feel free to drop the teacher an email with any extra questions that you might have.
Conference Signup: To sign up for a conference please follow these directions. If you encounter any problems with the Conference Sign-up, please contact the teacher.
Preparing for your Zoom Conference:
- If you have never used Zoom on your device--you have 3 options:
- Prior to the conference time, download the Zoom Client
- When joining the meeting. Use this link https://zoom.us/join and enter the meeting code. The meeting code is in the Zoom link found in your Confirmation email.
- Consider using your student’s MacBook. Your student must update Zoom (Directions)
Thanks to you all and have a great weekend!
2nd Semester Course Fees due 2/11- ACTION NEEDED
High school 2nd Semester course fee payment for the 2021-22 school year is open and online now. Your ParentVUE login and password are required to pay 2nd semester course fees.
- Required fees were assigned during Registration in August. Please review your account in ParentVUE for outstanding fees.
- Course fees are assigned based on your student’s enrollment.
- Currently, elective course fees are assigned for the second semester only.
- If your student dropped a course after the January 19th course drop deadline, they are responsible for paying any fees associated with that course.
Questions regarding fee payment should be directed to Lori Freeman, BVN Bookkeeper, at email: LFreeman@bluevalleyk12.org .
Please pay your course fees by Friday, February 11.
Conferences will be held the week beginning Monday, February 14. Teachers will be available at varying times to meet with families. The teachers look forward to speaking with as many parents as possible. Given the virtual nature of these conferences and the time available, we encourage you to talk to your child, check grades on Canvas, and decide if a Parent-Teacher conference is necessary. If you and your child are happy with how things are going with your student’s progress in class, a conference is not necessary. Feel free to drop the teacher an email with any extra questions that you might have.
Attending your Conferences
The Zoom link and password can be found in your email confirmation. Please do not share. When you arrive to the conference, you will be in a Zoom waiting room until the teacher finishes with the previous parent. Please try to be a minute or so early as our clocks vary and teachers will need to stay on schedule.
The teachers look forward to the opportunity to visit with you in our “virtual” conference setting.
BVN Student Blood Drive – 2/24, 7:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
National Honor Society is hosting the Spring Blood Drive on Thursday, February 24, from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. There is a huge shortage of blood at many facilities locally and around the country. BVN Students, take an hour out of your day and help save a life.
Students can Make an Appointment here:
Parents/guardians, please consider going to one of the local blood centers to donate. Here is a link you can use so that BVN gets credit for your donation:
Kudos and Celebrations
Athletic Signing Ceremony Honorees (new)
On February 1, four Mustang football players signed Letters of Intent to continue their athletic careers at the collegiate level. A signing ceremony and reception were held in the commons after school for the players and their families.
The players and their universities are:
Lucas Bullock-Hines ~ Columbia University
Wayna’ Crofton ~ Mid American Nazarene University
Myzelle Law ~ Mid American Nazarene University
Henry Martin ~ Northwest Missouri State University
Congratulations to these student-athletes, and good luck next year!
Boys' Swimming and Diving Team (new)
Congratulations to BVN Swim and Dive for winning top honors at the 2022 EKL Meet.
It was BVN’s first league title in three years with a strong margin of victory as the team won 6 of the 12 events. Individual first place winners include:
Spencer Eyen- Diving
Sam Peterson- 200 and 500 Freestyle
Alex Houts- 100 Freestyle
Michael Mayo- 200 IM
Two BVN relay teams also took first place, including:
Alex Houts, AK Klaus, Sasha Siomades and Sam Peterson- 200 Free Relay
Sam Peterson, Alex Houts, AK Klaus, and Michael Mayo- 400 Free Relay
Congratulations also go out to the following BVN swimmers for state cuts:
Davis Wetmore, 100 Back and 100 Fly
Bowling Team (new)
On February 3, Eric Silva had a personal high game: 178. Rory Place also had a personal high game: 189. Megan Meyer had a personal high game 194, and placed 3rd overall with a 498 series. On February 4, Miller Brown had a personal high 165, and then in his 3rd game scored 173! Way to go bowlers!
Art Show Awards - February 2022 (new)
The Art Department would like to congratulate our students for their outstanding artistic achievement, in both the End of Semester Art Show and the regional Scholastics competition. Congratulations to all those who won awards, and to senior Garrett Parish for winning Best in Show.
BVN Grease All-School Musical BRAVO! (new)
After 3 Months of Rehearsal, 72 students came together (42 Cast Members, 23 Crew Members, and 7 Musicians) to put on 3 incredibly successful performances of Grease! They did so amidst the uncertainty of a third COVID wave, snow closures during tech-week and opposite an important basketball game. If you get a chance, please congratulate the following students on their impressive work.
Olivia Keller ~ Tess Moeller ~ Brenden Kelly
Ellie Goldberg ~ Sydney Kauphusman ~ Scarlett Jones
Brady Fisher-York ~ Sebastian Gonzalez-Layton
Miguel Cornwell ~ Ty Eubanks ~ Jonas Beyer
Christopher Dennis ~ Lily Canent ~ Isabelle Vansykle
Andrew Flekier ~ Jack Hancock ~ Eva Girard ~ Gabby Fulford
Sage Henson ~ Kierscha Moon ~ Claire Henderson ~ Anne Henderson
Laci Olberding ~ Margaret Wilkinson ~ Katherine Goodwin
Ardyn West ~ Madi Bishop ~ Charlie Accurso ~ Simone Brown
Mae Tuschman ~ Allyson DuVall ~ Riley McConnell ~ Ava Moran
Isabelle Holtorf ~ Greysen Williams ~ Liliana Sachen
Cassandra Pyle ~ Julia Shumate ~ Katie Beck
Addison McRae ~ Ella Grant ~ Emma Mindnich
Tatum Warren ~ Bibi Igbaseimokumo
Vishnu Bolla ~ Liam Kille ~ Addie Fullwiler
Lukas Wiggins ~ Daniel Fowler
Reese Hirschler ~ Hea Sadagopan ~ Valeria Alonzo
Molly Ramsey ~ Christian Pyle
Aggie Allen ~ Annika Zmijewski ~ Aubrey Stone
Gabriella Kern ~ Supriya Bolla
Will Hadel ~ Joscelyn Gimenez ~ Libby Skid
Natalie Christensen ~ Leah Candelario
Carolyn Scott ~ Grade Waldron
Nash Rosado ~ Keaton Lewis
Gabriel Decker ~ Hary Wang ~ Brennan Bates
Hyesoo Song ~ Dakota Raper
Thank you for your support!
Counseling, Academics & Testing
Click Here For BVN's Counseling Webpage for information about:
- Enrollment for 2022-23 is underway. Information has been distributed to students and emailed to parents and guardians. Questions may be directed to your student’s counselor. If your incoming Freshman is not a current Blue Valley 8th grade student, please contact Sarah King, email@example.com.
- The schedule change period for this semester has ended. Only level changes and drops to a study hall are now allowed. Students may pick up a schedule change form in Student Services to request these changes.
- Senior parents must submit the Diploma and Transcript Authorization Form before the school is able to send transcripts to colleges for your student.
- Junior College Planning Information here - College and Career Planning
- Visit the Counseling Virtual Calming Room
- Visit the Counseling Home Page to find additional resources or contact information for Counselors and other Student Services staff.
Questions? Contact Sarah King @ (913)239-3016 or SKing@bluevalleyk12.org .
2022-2023 Enrollment Important Dates
How to Have a Mental Health Check-In with Your Teen
BVN Bell Schedules ~ North Time cancelled on Fridays
When there are five days in the school week, the Bell Schedule will be Odd, Even, Odd, Even, Traditional Day. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday, school begins at 7:40 a.m. On Tuesday and Thursday, school begins at 8:25 a.m. (see below). If you want a copy for home, ask your student to stop by the BVN main office. It's also posted on the BVN website. When there are schedule changes due to a shortened school week, during finals, etc., it will be announced in North Notes and listed on the EKL calendar, BVN’s school calendar.
Update: On Tuesday & Thursday, North Time is now called Academic Support Time (AST).
Here is a link to the Bell Schedule which is on the BVN website: BVNBELLSCHEDULE .
Mark Your Calendar
February 14-17: Parent-Teacher Conferences
February 18: NO SCHOOL/due to after school conferences
February 21: NO SCHOOL/Presidents' Day
March 1: ACT Testing for Juniors/NO SCHOOL for 9th, 10th and 12th grades
March 11: NO SCHOOL/Professional Learning
March 14-18: NO SCHOOL/Spring Break
March 21: NO SCHOOL/Professional Learning
Upcoming All School Events
All BVN events, activities, sporting events and additional calendar adjustments are found on the EKL calendar: www.easternkansasleague.org
Spring Sports Physicals due Friday, 2/25, at 3:00 p.m. (new)
Spring sports include Boys’ Baseball, Boys’ Golf, Boys’ Tennis, Girls’ Soccer, Girls’ Swimming and Diving, Girls’ Softball and Boys’ & Girls’ Track and Field. In order to try-out and begin practicing on February 28, physicals and completed, signed paperwork must be turned in. If your student played a fall or winter sport, their physical and all paperwork will already be on file. Forms are available in the main office by the receptionist desk, or can be downloaded from the BVN website>School Information>Activities & Athletics>Athletics>Useful Links>Participation Packet. Here is a link to the packet to print at home: Participation Packet .
The physical and participation packet has been updated for the 2021-22 season. Every student needs a new physical, every year, completed, signed and dated (May 1, 2021, or after) by a physician (Note: There are TWO places where the doctor has to sign and date the physical. Check this BEFORE you leave the doctor’s office!).
All forms need to be printed, read, signed by a parent and student, and returned to BVN. Completed forms can also be scanned together (no photographs accepted) and emailed to Teresa Anderson, BVN Athletics, firstname.lastname@example.org , dropped off to the main office by your student or mailed to: Teresa Anderson, Blue Valley North High School, 12200 Lamar Avenue, Overland Park, KS 66209. (Please remember that visitors, including parents, are not allowed in the school building this year.)
If you have questions, please call Teresa Anderson at (913) 239-3011.
BVN Athletic Hall of Fame Nominations Needed - due 2/11
The Blue Valley North Athletic Hall of Fame was established in an effort to recognize individual(s) who have significantly contributed to the traditions and reputation of the athletic programs at Blue Valley North High School. Individuals recognized will have exemplified the character and ideals promoted by Blue Valley North through the use of their talents, time, dedication and energy. The establishment of this Hall of Fame will hopefully encourage others to follow their example.
Blue Valley North High School will be accepting nominations for the Athletic Hall of Fame through Friday, Feb. 11, 2022. You, as a community member, are entitled to nominate a former BVN athlete you feel is deserving of this honor.
The guidelines for selection are as follows:
- The candidate distinguished him/herself by outstanding achievement in a sport.
- The candidate displayed good citizenship, sportsmanship and leadership.
- Candidates should have attended BVN at least their junior and senior years.
- Candidates should have graduated between 2007 - 2017.
- Parents and other relatives may not submit nominations.
Please click on this link, print the form and complete it, BVN Athletic Hall of Fame Nomination Form , and return to Kelli Kurle at email@example.com. If you have any questions, please call 239-3011. Thank you!
Track and Field Team
BVN Track and Field pre-season workouts continue at BVN. Please look over the PowerPoint for training info CLICK HERE. The workouts are 100% optional but will be beneficial for the upcoming season.
Please sign up for the Spond App. Anyone can join this group for track and field info by using the link https://group.spond.com/UGXMK
Any questions, students should see Coach Fancher, after school, in Mobile 1.
Girls' Softball is a spring sport, and pre-season conditioning has begun. The schedule is Tuesday & Thursday at 7:00 a.m., and Wednesdays at 6:45 a.m.! Please reach out to Coach Stevie if you have questions: firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you have questions, contact Teresa Anderson, BVN Assistant to the Athletic Director, at 913-239-3011 or by email, email@example.com .
Please take a look through the BVN Mustang Club's Winter Activity Guide! Here is a link to the on-line edition: https://anyflip.com/qzkqi/xqsn/
This is a great way to see photos of the athletic teams, activities & performing arts students, find out more about their coaches and directors, and read a greeting from the BVN Principal & the Mustang Club Presidents. Please take time to see the advertisements from our corporate partners and give them your business whenever possible. We thank them for their support of the Mustang Club and our Blue Valley North students. Enjoy!
Fostering A Safe School Environment
Blue Valley Schools is committed to promoting and fostering a safe environment in and around all of our schools. Through the convergence of physical and intellectual security measures, we are continuously working to prevent, mitigate, respond to and recover from a wide range of emergencies. Please check out available ways to report safety concerns.
Are you moving? Have you moved?
Please contact the BVN Registrar, Suzy Doherty, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Boys Team Charity
Senior Information for the Class of 2022
Save the date for 2022 Graduation: Sunday, May 22, at 7 p.m. at the District Activity Center, 13310 Switzer, Overland Park, Kansas 66213. Rain date is Wednesday, May 25 at 6 p.m. There are no tickets required and there is no limit on seating.
Senior Info page: Click HERE to access:
- Info about ordering your cap & gown--Seniors can check the list at Mrs. Miller's desk to confirm if they have/have not ordered yet.
- Info about the Senior Class Picture to be taken on February 22 between 7-8:30 a.m. Check the schedule on the Senior Info page.
- A link to authorize the release of your student's transcript for college applications
- Info about the Balfour shipping schedule
Seniors: Check out these BVEF scholarship opportunities available only to BV students
Deadline: February 11
- The Tom Leathers Communications Scholarship – given to a senior planning to major in journalism or communications
- Dave and Megan Leathers Basketball Scholarship – given to a senior female participating in basketball
- Kerry Layton Memorial Scholarship – given to a senior participating in Band
- Dr. Anise Burki Memorial Scholarship – given to a senior female demonstrating core BV values and academic excellence
- Bill Davis Memorial Scholarship – given to a senior who participated in at least 2 semesters of Debate, Forensics, Drama or Philosophy
We will update this info page as decisions are made in the new few months.
Questions? Contact BVN Activities: Lisa Miller @ email@example.com .
BOYS STATE 2022 JUNE 5-11! “Boys State is a practical opportunity to learn leadership skills through role play civic exercise.” Applications are available for high school sophomores and juniors to attend Boys State 2022. You can find more information at https://ksbstate.org/. Boys State will take place on the Kansas State University campus. If cost is an issue, please contact the KS Boys State Main Office (see FAQs). Questions? Contact Catie Bosch, firstname.lastname@example.org .
COVID Close Contact Options updated (new)
Is Your Child Sick? Please read on....
Winter, colds, flu, and other viruses often come together. Germs from colds and other illnesses make their way into our workplaces, schools, and homes. If you have a child who is sick, we ask for your support by keeping them at home. District protocol requires students stay home until they are fever free for a period of 24 hours and or at least 24 hours since symptom resolution. If your child has been diagnosed by a physician with Influenza, please keep them home for five days following onset of illness or for the duration of illness if the case is immune compromised.
As you know, the health of our students is important to us. Thank you for your continued partnership as we work together to keep our kids healthy and in school.
School Nurse Information and Clinic Hours
The Nurse's office is open M – F: 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. It closes for lunch 10:00 - 10:30 a.m. except in the case of an emergency. Nurse Amanda Collichio is available to assist students with their health needs, first-aid and medical conditions. For help, contact Nurse Amanda at (913) 239-3013 or AJCollichio@bluevalleyk12.org .
Prescription Meds at BVN - Action Needed
This is reminder to parents: All prescription medications must be accompanied by this written authorization from a physician or other person licensed to prescribe medications, for the administration of that medication at school. All prescription medications to be administered at school must be in their original containers with the label intact. Students shouldn’t be self-carrying unlabeled prescription medications or any prescription medications. Questions? Email Nurse Amanda Collichio at email@example.com.
JOCO COVID-19 Updates
Please follow this link to the Johnson County COVID-19 website for current information.
COVID-19 Testing and Resources for BV Staff, Students and Families
Throughout this school year, Blue Valley’s priorities have been the safety of our students and keeping students in school and in person as we know this is critical to their long-term success and well-being. MAWD Labs is offering a local COVID-19 testing option that is available for students, staff and their family members. This option is available through a Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) grant provided directly to MAWD Labs.
Online scheduling and registration now available for COVID-19 Testing
Throughout this school year, Blue Valley’s priorities have been the safety of our students and keeping students in school and in-person as we know this is critical to their long-term success and well-being. MAWD Labs offers a local COVID-19 testing option available through a Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) grant provided directly to MAWD Labs.
New! Online Scheduling and Registration for MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic
The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic now can accept online appointments and registrations.
- Step 1: Book an appointment online (up to 6 people per appointment/car)
- Step 2: If you have not done so already, create an online account for parent/guardian. Please note that to login into the account in the future, username is the parent/guardian email address.
- Complete a form for the child needing COVID-19 testing and submit. Create forms for additional household members by clicking “Add Individual.”
- Receive a QR code via email for each family member needing testing. Keep this code as it will need to be shown upon arrival for each appointment.
- Call (913) 239-4371 and leave a message if you have questions. Calls will be returned in the order received.
- Due to the high volume of testing, only current household members of Blue Valley students and staff are eligible to test at the MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic.
MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic: 14950 Newton Drive, Overland Park, KS 66223 (Northwest of CAPS on the Blue Valley School District Campus)
- Hours of Operation
- Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Friday 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Sunday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Inclement Weather Schedule
- The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will be closed whenever school is cancelled for inclement weather.
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will operate on regular hours if there is an emergency closing for other reasons, such as high staff or transportation absences.
Additional information about MAWD’s Drive-In Testing Clinic is available on the district website. General COVID-19 resources from Johnson County Department of Health and Environment, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy can be found on the district website.
Blue Valley families can find a variety of COVID-19 resources on the district website including general COVID-19 information, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy.
What are the Symptoms of Depression in Teenagers?
Teens are often moody. That’s why it’s easy to miss signs that they’re actually depressed and need help. Symptoms of depression in teens include things like avoiding hanging out with friends and family and being sad or angry. Not doing well in school, sleeping a lot and eating more or less than usual can also be signs.
If you notice that your teen has been down a lot and lost interest in things they used to like doing, they may be depressed. The teen may not even be aware they are depressed.
To learn more about depression, please click on this link: DEPRESSION .
Durham Bus Riders
Durham will continue to transport our bus riders in the 2021-22 school year. If you have questions, please call Durham at 913-681-2492. The best time to call is between 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. when more staff are available to answer questions.
Durham Bus Services has three helpful tools for families with bus riders. Registration is required each year for families as bus routes and participants change:
- Bus Tracker: The Blue Valley Durham location will be using the Bus Tracker mobile app that is available for iOS and Android devices. To use the app, users will create an account that is tied to an email address of the user’s choice. The tool will allow account users to follow the route of a specific bus. Durham is updating daily when a scheduled backup bus is being used for a planned maintenance activity. If a bus is replaced with a quick turnaround due to an unforeseen event, Durham dispatch will make the switch on Bus Tracker at their next opportunity to update the app.
- Text Messaging: Families are still encouraged to sign up for Durham Text Messaging. The system is designed to share the “why” as Bus Tracker is designed to tell the “where”. To sign up for Durham Text Messaging visit www.bluevalleydurham.com.
- E-Link: Allows for verification of a student’s transportation information (i.e., stop location, bus # and pick-up and drop off times) based on the input of grade and home address. To access E-Link, go to www.bluevalleydurham.com.
We are Mustang Proud!
North Notes is published most Fridays during the school year. North Notes is a newsletter for the parents and students of Blue Valley North High School. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal, at JRoush@bluevalleyk12.org .
BVN Main Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday - Friday
The Office will be closed on February 18, due to evening P-T Conferences during the week, and will be closed on February 21, in honor of Presidents' Day.