January 28, 2019
Time is Running Out —
Get Your SkillsUSA Week T-shirt NOW!
The SkillsUSA Store has created a SkillsUSA Week T-shirt for $18. Visit www.skillsusastore.org to order your shirt and other SkillsUSA products to support your week of celebration. Use the promo code GIFT4U to get your free gift, too!
SkillsUSA Week, Sponsored by Channellock, is Coming Soon! Here’s How to Celebrate Effectively with Your Chapter
You can participate in SkillsUSA Week (Feb. 3-9) many different ways: hold an open house, invite local media to tour your programs, conduct a community service project, work with area businesses to build more meaningful partnerships, or engage with policymakers to talk about the value of technical education.
For a complete calendar of events, and resources including a sample proclamation, go to: www.skillsusa.org/events-training/skillsusa-week
We encourage you to plan activities to follow the daily schedule of events that will be celebrated in chapters nationwide:
- Monday, Feb. 4, is Appreciation Day. Plan an event to celebrate and honor the support of advisors, teachers and administrators.
- Tuesday, Feb. 5, is Advocacy Day. Plan local or state public relations activities including presentations to legislators, school board members, administrators and community group leaders.
- Wednesday, Feb. 6, is Member Outreach Day. Involve members in the recruitment of middle and elementary school students into your CTE programs, or plan appreciation activities that honor current members.
- Thursday, Feb. 7, is SkillsUSA Serves Day. Rally around your community by focusing on a day of giving through service projects or fundraisers.
- Friday, Feb. 8, is SkillsUSA Day. Celebrate SkillsUSA by wearing your favorite SkillsUSA shirt, planning a celebration and posting the event to social media.
Special thank you to Channellock as the lead sponsor of SkillsUSA Week and to Toyota for its additional support of this program.
Bundle and Save MORE! Three Awesome SkillsUSA Framework Products
SkillsUSA Framework made easy for your classroom! This bundle-trio is all you need to get yourself and students started on the workings of the SkillsUSA Framework. It’s fun, it’s easy and it’s all right here. Save $14.90 on this bundle through Jan. 31, 2019.
Bundle Price $49.95
- SkillsUSA Framework Thumball And Teacher’s Guide (P08) - Looking for a fun and engaging way to get your students physically involved in discovering the SkillsUSA Framework? Look no further, the SkillsUSA Framework thumball has arrived. Using the ball will help students better process and reflect on the essential elements. The thumball is 4" in diameter with 32 content panels. A teacher’s guide accompanies this item and offers 25 creative ways to assist students in making the framework their own.
- SkillsUSA Framework Integration Strategies (P125) - The SkillsUSA Framework Integration Strategies equips teachers with the tools to incorporate the framework into every aspect of school, chapter and classroom life beginning with their first day. Formatted as a book, these 8.5"x11" pages detail integration strategies to include from the start, ensuring students are acclimated to the environment and ready to take an active role in developing the Essential Elements of the SkillsUSA Framework. Additional strategies deliver tangible ways to integrate the framework into your classroom and laboratory setting, chapter meetings, field trips and more.
- SkillsUSA Framework Fundamentals: Teaching Strategies for the Essential Elements (P123) - Take the guesswork out of the Essential Elements. This product delivers exactly what the name implies: It’s the ideal way to introduce the Essential Elements to your classroom. Now all students can articulate the definition, outcomes and behaviors of each essential element as well as prompt questions to take their learning to a deeper level. Ideal for classroom use, the set consists of 17 cards. Each 6"x10.25" card covers the definition, outcomes, behaviors and guided questions of each essential element. A teacher’s guide is included with each set of cards.
Attention, Advisors in Building Trades! SkillsUSA Launching National Signing Day
We are excited to announce that May 8 will be SkillsUSA National Signing Day, presented by Klein Tools!
This day will celebrate and publicly acknowledge high school seniors who are committing to careers in the building and construction trades. Whether they are starting an apprenticeship, entering a more focused technical education or entering the field directly, we want to reinforce our support for their decision to help close the skills gap and promote positivity for the trades.
In partnership with Klein Tools, SkillsUSA will host National Signing Day events at approximately 500 schools throughout the country — but we need to hear from you first!
We are looking for Class of 2019 students who are committing to careers or continuing education in:
- Residential Wiring
- Building Trades and Renovations
If you have graduating high-school seniors who fit these criteria, please use the link below to start the conversation with the National Signing Day team.
Participation will be limited to the first 500 eligible programs to express interest.
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE IN BY MARCH 1 FOR CONSIDERATION — DON’T DELAY!
Chapter Excellence Program is Waiting for You! Get Started Now!
You know you are having a great year in SkillsUSA, so why not be recognized for it? Did you elect officers, hold chapter meetings and engage in chapter activities? Then take it to the next level: Complete the Chapter Excellence Program Quality Chapter application and receive the recognition you have earned as a chapter.
Start your SkillsUSA Chapter Excellence Program (CEP) application today and earn
recognition for your chapter. The online application is on the main page of the membership registration site once you log into your school account (www.skillsusa-register.org/Login.aspx).
The Building a Successful SkillsUSA Chapter Teacher’s Guide can be downloaded at: https://www.skillsusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/cep-Teachers-Guide-2018-v2.pdf. The guide offers simple and easy steps to follow on completing the application, engaging students in the process and infusing the SkillsUSA Framework into chapter activities.
For questions or help, call or email the SkillsUSA Hotline: 844-875-4557 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do You Want Your Students To Grow In Their Professionalism, Communication And Leadership Skills?
Consider budgeting for you and your student leaders to attend the Washington Leadership Training Institute (WLTI) held in the nation’s capital Sept. 21-25. This conference offers advanced training for students and advisors that focuses on professionalism, communication and leadership. During the conference, participants will demonstrate the use of these key essential elements while advocating for SkillsUSA and career and technical education. Additionally, participants will have the opportunity to tour Washington, visit the SkillsUSA National Leadership Center and watch the changing of the guards along with a wreath ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns.
Conference registration opens Aug. 1 and is $450 per participant. Visit the following website for additional information: https://www.skillsusa.org/events-training/washington-leadership-training-institute/
Schedule a One-on-One Demo with a Career Essentials Coach
To learn more about the SkillsUSA Career Essentials curriculum and to gain a greater understanding of how to implement it within your program, we encourage you to sign up for a one-on-one, 15-minute demonstration of the curriculum. To sign up, click on the following link, complete the short information form, and a coach will contact you to set up your demo: https://goo.gl/forms/jIS73zAkkDXSl80d2.
For additional questions and assistance, please contact us at 844-875-4557 and ask to speak with a SkillsUSA Career Essentials coach.
To visit the website, go to: www.careeressentials.org.
Help is Only a Call, Email or Chat Away!
Hotline operators are ready to answer your questions on how to start a new chapter, engage chapter members and strengthen an existing chapter. Operators are on call from 8 a.m.–5 p.m. (Eastern time) Monday, Wednesday and Friday and from 11 a.m.–7 p.m. (Eastern) Tuesday and Thursday. Call the hotline toll free: 844-875-4557.
Don’t have time to call? Send the operators an email at email@example.com or chat with them online at the membership registration site.