La tour Eiffel
Fun Facts about the Eiffel Tower
- Gustave Eiffel designed the Eiffel Tower, and it was built in 1889.
- Standing at 984 feet tall, the Eiffel Tower weighs 10,100 tons, or 20,200,000 lbs!
- About 7 million people visit the Eiffel Tower every year.
- Temperatures can change the height of the Eiffel Tower up to 6 inches.
- For 41 years, the Eiffel Tower was the tallest man-made structure - until it was surpassed by the Chrysler Building in New York.
- The Eiffel Tower was going to be demolished in 1909, but was saved when it was re-purposed as a giant radio antenna.
- Almost 250 million people have visited the tower since it's opening in 1889.
- There is a replica of the Eiffel Tower in Las Vegas and Tokyo.
- It was made to be wind resistant and only sways a few inches in the wind.
- Around 50 tons of paint are added to the tower every 7 years to protect it from rust.