THINK, CREATE, SHARE, GROW
- Odyssey 4th Grade: Utah Diversity
- T.O. Smith 6th Grade: Planets
- Wasatch 5th Grade: U.S. History
- Library Spotlight: Shadow Valley
Odyssey 4th Graders Get to Know Utah's Diverse Cultures
A 4th grader and her family look at her work at family night.
Mrs. Bell, Mrs. Tonnies, and Mrs. Dyson display the large print newspapers and essays their students wrote.
4th graders display the copies of their articles that families could take home.
T.O. Smith 6th Graders Check Their Sources
Wasatch 5th Graders Think Like Historians
A group of 5th graders at Wasatch Elementary were asked to "think like historians." Students worked in partners to research U.S. history topics ranging from the American Revolution to the Civil Rights Movement. Instead of just presenting the facts, Mrs. Mathewson and a DTL asked the students essential questions to guide their research. Questions included:
- What were the lasting effects of the Lewis and Clark expedition?
- What were the causes and consequences of westward expansion?
- In what ways is the United States a nation of immigrants?
- How did technological innovation change the way people worked?
- How did the Great Depression impact the lives of ordinary Americans?
- What are some turning points (major events) that helped the civil rights movement?
Students worked collaboratively in Google Apps to keep track of their sources, write their essays, and create their presentations. What’s next for these students? They’ll soon interview a history professor from Weber State University to learn more about “thinking like a historian.”
Students begin their presentation about the American Revolutionary War.
Mrs. Mathewson and students celebrate their hard work.
Students teach the class about industrialization.
Library Spotlight: Shadow Valley Elementary
Ogden School District Teacher Librarians
We are excited to co-teach with you in your classroom. Please contact both your principal and one of the DTLs about co-teaching opportunities.
Also, if you have questions or comments about the district library program, please feel free to contact us:
Katie Kilts -- KiltsK@ogdensd.org
Daniel Mauchley -- MauchleyD@ogdensd.org
Shelly Ripplinger -- RipplingerS@ogdensd.org
Elaine Shelburne MLS / M.Ed - ShelburneE@ogdensd.org
Avan Thayn -- ThaynA@ogdensd.org
Amy Jamison -- JamisonA@ogdensd.org
"Think, Create, Share, Grow" are used with permission from the American Association of School Libraries, a division of the American Library Association. www.ala.org
Background image from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Terrestrial_planet_size_comparisons_right_to_left.jpg by NASA.