DHS Collegiate Academy Newsletter
December 18, 2020
Collegiate Academy Family,
I'm so proud of what our scholars have accomplished during these unprecedented times. Scholars have shown tremendous strength and perseverance and have earned this holiday break. Take this time to relax, rejuvenate, and recharge for the new year.
― Pamela Thomas
21 - 25 - No School (ALL SCHOLARS) - Winter Break
28 - 31 - No School (ALL SCHOLARS) - Winter Break
1 - No School (ALL SCHOLARS) - Winter Break
4 - No Classes (ALL SCHOLARS) - Teacher Work Day
4 - Learning Preference Change Form Opens
5-6 - No School (MVC ONLY) - Winter Break
7-8 - High School Classes Only (MVC) (US History)
11-15 - High School Classes Only (MVC) (US History)
18 - Learning Preference Change Form Closes
18 - No School (ALL SCHOLARS) - MLK Holiday
19 - MVC Classes Begin
29 - End of Marking Period 2
30 - Saturday School (By Invitation Only) 8am - 12pm - Virtual
Collegeboard Opportunity Scholarships
Greetings Class of 2022,
The College Board Opportunity Scholarships program is now available for all juniors. Since 2018, nearly one million students have joined this program, which provides students with a digital college planning guide and chances to earn $500 for each action they complete. When students complete all six steps, they earn a chance at a $40,000 scholarship. Students whose families earn less than $60,000 per year have double the chances to earn scholarships.
High school juniors can visit cb.org/opportunity to join. This year, the College Board Opportunity Scholarships is introducing some changes, all to support more students with planning and paying for college, especially in these challenging times:
- More Winners: Starting with the class of 2022, the program will recognize even more students. More than 7,000 students will earn a scholarship each year, nearly double the number of winners recognized in previous years.
- New Explore Scholarships Step: There is a new step to help students find other scholarships that may be a good fit for them. Students can earn chances at $500 scholarships by exploring a personalized list of scholarships and other aid on College Board Scholarship Search.
- Practice for the SAT Step: This simplified step guides students to get started with personalized skill recommendations, a best practice behavior associated with higher score gains. Students can become eligible for $500 scholarships by completing one Timed Mini Section or one Diagnostic Quiz on Official SAT Practice on Khan Academy.
The earlier juniors get started, the more opportunities to earn scholarships! Between January and March, we will award $500 scholarships to 3,000 juniors who build a college list or practice for the SAT. All students can earn one of these scholarships, even students who never dreamt they could get a scholarship.
- Access Educator Resources: Visit this page to find resources for educators, including this student flyer, educator flyer, and presentation deck.
- Promote the Pledge: Counselors and other educators who take this Pledge will receive our free digital toolkit and monthly tips and resources to support students with each scholarship step.
- Spread the Word: Share this video with juniors and their families to introduce the program. Once juniors sign up, they can become eligible right away for $500 scholarships by building a college list and starting practice on Official SAT Practice on Khan Academy.
The program is also still available for seniors through February 28, 2021. Seniors can still become eligible for College Board Opportunity Scholarships by joining the program, completing the FAFSA and applying to two or more colleges.
Parent Information Meetings
Do you have a scholar heading to 9th grade? Are they interested in the opportunity to earn an associate’s degree when they graduate high school? Come check out Collegiate Academy during our parent information meetings! Find more info at duncanvilleisd.org/dhscollegiate!
Learning Method Changes
All families will have the opportunity to change between in-person and virtual learning at the end of each nine-week grading period. The second nine-week grading period begins Monday, November 9, 2020. To make a learning preference change starting with the third nine-week grading period, parents can do so using the Duncanville ISD Enrollment Webpage.
Parents,Please partner with us to ensure scholars are logging in at the appropriate time and completing all assignments in their high school and college courses. Teachers have communicated their distance learning expectations for scholars. Scholars will have at least two assignments per week in each class. Please support us in checking your scholar's grades in Skyward Family Access and eCampus ensuring they are completing their assignments by the established deadlines.
Our staff wishes all of our Collegiate Family a happy and safe holidays!