By Isabella Erestain
What Is an Interior Designer?
Interior designers transform a space to make it practical, safe, and attractive by analyzing floor plans and choosing various decorative items.
Important Qualities of an Interior Designer
- Artistic ability
- Detail oriented
- Interpersonal Skills
- Problem solving skills
What Do Designers Do?
- Determine what a clients wants and needs for a space.
- Understand how the space will be used and how people will move around.
- Sketch design [plans.
- Choose materials, furnishings, etc.
- Oversee construction and work with the contractors.
Types of Interior Designers
- Healthcare designers design/renovate doctor's offices, clinics, hospitals,etc.
- Sustainable designers create energy and water efficient spaces using Eco-friendly products and concepts.
- Universal designers create spaces that are easily accessible to anyone, especially the elderly and those with special needs.
- Corporate designers design small workplaces or large corporate offices.
Architectural, engineering, and other related services industry.
$48,840 annually or $23.48 per hour
4% (slower than average)
Education, Certification, & Experience Required
- Bachelor's degree in interior design
- Pass the National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) exam
- Have at least 2 years of experience
The National Council for Interior Design Qualification recognizes expert interior designers and represents their eligibility.
MAJOR DESIGN ASSOCIATIONS
- Promotes the value of interior design
- Provides knowledge and experience
- Helps a designer to advance and excel
- Designers can take advantage of products, services, programs, and opportunities
- Being a member of this society provides recognition and shows that you're qualified.
- Education is available
- Members receive discounts on many products