TPCA NIFTY NEWS - MERRY CHRISTMAS!
December 18, 2015
Our varsity boys basketball team serving with Special Olympics at Woodland Bowl
Our 1st snowman of the year
Staff Christmas Party gingerbread house contest
Happy Hallidays - what was that all about?
What, you ask, is that all about?
The last day of class before Christmas break is tough for everyone, but especially for our students. Focus on academics is not at the top of the list. Several years ago we began the tradition of Happy Hallidays to help everyone focus on Christ at the start of that last day. (It also helps to calm the younger children a bit!) Staff, students and parents gather in the hallways intersecting with the Eagle's Nest to sing Carols, pray together and hear a reading of Christ's birth from the book of Luke. In general, we worship together!
It's so moving and wonderful fun - the favorite event of the year for many of our families. Yes, it can be crowded and have it's challenges. But those are minor compared to the chance we have to thank and praise God for His gift of Jesus. For those of you who joined us, we hope it was a blessing to you. For those of you who weren't able to be here, put it on your calendar now - next year it is on Thursday, December 22nd.
Prepared Parenting: Equipping You to Equip Your Child to Face Today's World
But our culture is complex and there are many dangers and distractions that can interfere with our best intentions as parents. In the coming months we will be sharing tools and information to help YOU reach YOUR highest potential as parents.
Our first offering is a video series by Focus on the Family titled, 7 Essentials of Parenting. This is available via our partnership with RightNow Media through Traders Point Christian Church. The series presents practical plans for dealing with dangers including internet porn, alcohol, drugs, eating disorders, and premarital sex. You'll see how to resist the impulse to overprotect your child - and gain insights to help you prepare him or her for the world of today and tomorrow. While these topics sound like they apply to all the "older kids", we encourage parents of preteens to start now to prepare.
In order to access this series, and a WEALTH of other resources including movies, devotionals, book studies and more for all ages, you must sign up for a FREE account with RightNow Media, through Traders Point Christian Church. Simply click the link below to set up your free account. Did we mention it is Free? Once logged in, search for the series title.
Please watch upcoming NIfty News and TPCS Blog posts as we learn together as a school community, strengthening our partnership for the good of our children and the glory of our Lord, Jesus Christ.
SAT & ACT Prep - it's time well spent
These two tests carry more weight than you might realize. Scoring well takes more than knowing the answers. Students must have a tool-belt of strategies to understand how the tests are designed in order to reach their highest scores. They need to practice the tests. While this is unfortunate, this is reality. There are test prep books, classes and lots of folks ready to take your money and guaranteeing success. So how should students prepare?
Here are a few of the best ideas, and they don't have to cost an arm and a leg (just some good, hard work by students - productive struggle, yes?).
- Through our partnership with Sevenstar Academy, TPCS offers online ACT and SAT prep courses that are integrated with a biblical worldview. That's cool - test prep AND faith growth. If they take the course as part of their class schedule the only cost is the student registration fee. If students take a course in summer, Sevenstar often runs specials that reduce the cost - we will let you know.
- CollegeBoard online produces the SAT test. They offer a number of free practice tools on their website: SAT question of the day; practice test questions at all difficulty levels and more. You may also purchase practice books.
- Khan Academy has partnered with CollegeBoard to offer free prep programs through their website for both the current (through the Jan 2016 exam) and the new SAT tests. Students can take practice tests and score them to see what areas need further practice.
- ACT offers test preparation tools, as well, though the ACT website.
- There are a number of outside companies that offer prep courses for a fee. A little online research will yield names and reviews.
Students can begin practicing for these exams well before they actually sit for them, which should be no later than their junior year. A seemingly small point difference on the tests can mean tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship level.
The New Traders Point Christian High School Knights Field is Almost Done!
Take our quick survey here: TPCS Communication Survey
Have You Seen Our Manger Scene?
Mr. JK Stevens (namesake of our JK Stevens Commons) was Headmaster of Traders Point Christian Academy for over 20 years. In the late 1970's his father found this manger scene in a trash dumpster behind the bank where he worked in downtown Indianapolis. He rescued it and the bank used it in their front window for a number of years. When he retired, he brought the manger scene home to the Stevens household and at some point gave it to his son - our former Headmaster, JK. So JK used it in his home for several years. When TPCS moved into our current facilities in 2007, JK gave the nativity to the school with one condition: that it be cared for and never see the inside of a dumpster again. I think we can manage that, don't you?
Our Manger Scene is a daily reminder to all that this season is about the Christ Child above all the glitter and glitz we see. We hope it touches your heart each year!
Rapid Reminders (things we really want you to remember)
- Happy Hallidays - Friday, December 18 @ 8:30 am
- Christmas Break - December 19 - January 3
- Kindergarten Info Night - January 26 @ 6:30 pm
- Early Childhood NEXT STEP Open House - February 2 @ 6:30 pm
- K-12 NEXT STEP Open House - February 9 @ 6:30 pm
- 2016-2017 Enrollment for current students - February 15 - 29