What is Enlightenment ?
How did it begin?
What were the major ideas of the Enlightenment?
· Every social, political and economic problem could be solved through the use of reason.
· Governments are created to secure an orderly society
· Separation of powers is the best way to protect human liberties
· All men are created “free and equal”A free market should be allowed to regulate trade.
How did the Enlightenment impact the economy?
How did the Enlightenment impact Society?
· Detested the slave trade and slavery
· Deplored religious prejudice
· Defended freedom of speech
· Attacked divine right theory
· Urged education for all
· Hated unequal distribution of propertyBelieved governments should be freely elected.