September 13, 2019
The Maplewood Monthly
Student safety is our number one priority. Dismissal is the one of the (if not THE) busiest times of the school day. It is important to dismiss all of our students in a timely and safe manner. Therefore, knowing what bus to put them on far ahead of time or whether there is a note that your child is a pick up, helps makes this process run smoother and calmer. Please read below the reminders below about bus passes that were issued earlier this summer from Dr. Glasspool, Superintendent of PENNCREST School District:
Bus passes will not be issued as a matter of convenience or for visiting with classmates. Bus passes will be issued to a student for child care purposes, only if they bring a note to school. Bus passes should include the following information: Name of child (first and last name), bus #, where the child is going with first and last name and full address of destination and if the pass is for the day, week or year.
Your child will need a bus pass if he/she is picked up in the morning or dropped off after school at a different destination than their regular stop. If there is no note, your child will be sent to their usual destination on their regular bus. Occasionally, emergencies arise during the day. In those rare situations, the office will accept a phone call prior to 2:00 PM; otherwise, a written note is required. No changes will be made in a child’s bus routine without a bus pass.
Thank you in advance for your partnership in helping us maintain a safe and orderly dismissal.
Main Office Hours
Class Dojo Communication
- Your child's teacher will be accessible on Class Dojo from 8:00am-6:00pm Monday-Friday.
- You should expect a response back from your child's teacher within 24 hours.
- If there is a time sensitive message that must be read by the end of the school day, please call the front office at (814)337-1659 rather than Dojo your child's teacher to ensure it gets taken care of. Our teachers are busy teaching and learning with your children during the school day and may miss a time sensitive message.
- If you need to make a transportation change (pick-up, bus drop off change) please call the front office at (814)337-1659 to notify us. For the safety and security of everyone, classroom teachers are not able to make student transportation changes. Or, better yet, send in a note.
- If you need to speak to a Maplewood staff member that works with every student in the building (Mrs. Fonzo, Mrs. Johnson, Mr. Baldwin, Mrs. Bancroft, Ms. Eckstein or Mrs. Shaffer), please email that staff member or call the school at (814)337-1659 rather than Dojo them. It is not as easy for the staff with school-wide Dojo access to check parent messages. An email or phone call will get their attention much quicker.
Our annual Title I Parent Expo will be held at:
Cambridge Springs High School from
Wednesday, September 25, 2019
There is no cost to attend this event and we provide dinner, free books, door prizes and free presentations! This year we have Jungle Terry and his animals and local author and former MES teacher, Nancy Stover, visiting as our guest presenters! To attend, just fill out the registration form coming home with your child and return it to school by September 17, 2019 so that we are fully prepared for our guests. The registration form is also linked to this post just in case the form didn't make it home in your kids backpack. Please print it out and send it back to school to your child's teacher or call the MES main office at (814)337-1659 to register.
Hope to see you there!
Maplewood Elementary School knows the importance of attending school every day as it leads to higher achievement and success for all students. Parents/guardians are essential in helping students arrive on time with parental/doctor excuses.
The goal this year is to decrease the number of students arriving late by 20% and rewarding students with at least 95% attendance (3 or fewer legal absences) each quarter. Illegal absences (absences without a parental/doctors note, or exceeded 10 parentals within a year) will disqualify the child for recognition that quarter.
We will work hard to make phone calls and remind parents to turn in excuses, or make contact when students have missed/arrived late on multiple occasions. We are here to help! Don't hesitate to reach out and ask us for it!
Wednesday, September 25, 2019 - Title I Expo from 5:15pm-7:45pm at Cambridge Springs High School
Friday, September 27, 2019 - PBiS School Review Assembly
Tuesday, October 1, 2019 - AG Encounter Field Trip for Grade 5
Friday, October 4, 2019 - Picture Day
Friday, October 4, 2019 - NEDs Kindness Challenge Assembly
MES is on Twitter
Click on the Twitter logo to find us on Twitter and follow us! We use the hashtags #MESROARS and #MESVIPS to organize the great things happening at Maplewood in the Twitterverse.
Check out our building website for upcoming events, news, information, lunch menu and much, much more!
MES is on Facebook
Click on the Facebook logo to "Like" our MES Facebook page to get updates right in your news feed. You will stay connected to news, events and important information straight from MES!