Desert Sage Newsletter - March 2023
AASA Testing Schedule
Each year much time and vigilant planning is done when scheduling the AASA (Arizona’s Academic Standards Assessment) and the AzSCI (5th grade Science test) testing dates within the allotted assessment windows. We work diligently here at Desert Sage to ensure each student is fully prepared to be successful on all assessments. We value as much instructional time prior to testing as is possible. Click on the "Testing Dates" picture for this year's testing dates for each grade level.
Testing attendance matters, and we ask for your support. On-time attendance on the dates listed for your child’s grade level is imperative. Children assess with greater focus and less stress when surrounded by the comfort of their classmates and teacher. Please do not schedule any appointments or trips that will cause your child to be tardy or absent on their scheduled testing dates.
Additionally, during the above testing dates Desert Sage will be a closed campus. This means that classroom visitors/volunteers will not be allowed on the testing dates. Having the school operate as a closed campus limits interruptions, maintains the testing environments, and fosters a strong attention to task to perform at our best.
If you have questions about the testing for your child’s grade level please contact their teacher or our school office.
Thank you for your continued support.
Family Science Night was a hit!
Message from Nurse Gretchen
We are entering the dreaded cold and flu season. In order to keep our students and staff healthy, we need children who are ill to stay home. A student who is ill will not perform well at school and can spread their illness to others. Please keep your students home when they present with illness-like symptoms.
School is no place for a sick child. Please do not send your children to school if:
They have a fever (District policy defines a temperature as 100.0).
Have vomited within the last 24 hours.
Have any diarrhea in the last 24 hours.
As well as any of the symptoms listed below. Children should be free of fever for 24 hours, without the use of acetaminophen or ibuprofen, before returning to school, regardless of how they feel. If your child has been diagnosed with a communicable disease such as strep throat or pink eye, they must have been on antibiotic treatment (and free of fever) for 24 hours prior to returning to school. Also, always notify the school nurse of any diagnosed communicable disease.
Signs/Symptoms of Illness:
- Fever (oral temp of 100.0 or more)
- Red, watery eyes, pus in corners
- Diarrhea, any loose stools
- Unexplained rash
- Constant sneezing
- Constant deep cough
- Constant runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
- Swelling of the neck or face
- Flushed face or paleness
- Very sore throat
- Painful earache
PLEASE DO NOT send a sick child to school for the school nurse to decide whether they should be in school. If in doubt, call your family physician. School nurses can assess and refer, but we do not diagnose, and will always refer to your physician.
Thank you for helping us keep everyone healthy. If you have any questions or concerns please Nurse Gretchen at 623-445-XXXX, email@example.com.
Battle of the Books School Representatives
Desert Sage had 22 teams this year participating in Battle of the Books! Thank you to everyone who participated and for sharing your love of reading with others.
Congratulations 6th grader, Mia W!
Mark Your Calendar - Important Dates
- Wednesday, 3/29: Kindergarten Cap & Gown Picture Day
- Wednesday, 3/29: 5th & 6th grade Mandarin Speech Competition
- Thursday, 3/30: Kindergarten - 3rd grade Field Day
- Friday, 3/31: Dismissal at 2:00 p.m.
- 4/3-4/7: National Assistant Principal Week
- Tuesday, 4/4: School Librarian Appreciation Day
- Wednesday, 4/5: Paraprofessional Appreciation Day
- Thursday, 4/6: Kindergarten Field Trip to Children's Museum
- Thursday 4/6: 2nd grade Field Trip to World Wildlife Zoo
- Thursday, 4/6: Virtual PTO Meeting at 4:30 p.m.
- Friday, 4/7: No School, Spring Break Day
AZ School Tax Credit for Desert Sage
Your school tax credit donations can provide Desert Sage students with opportunities to after school and summer programs, field trips, music and athletic programs or any other extracurricular activity.
- The Arizona tax credit program (A.R.S. 43-1089.01) allows a tax credit of up to $200 for individuals and up to $400 for married couples, filing jointly, in support of extracurricular activities.
- The tax credit reduces your tax burden to the state of Arizona, dollar for dollar.