The Tiger Times
A Note from your Principal
Happy December to all of our West Newton families! Thank you for all of the generous donations to our school’s Thanksgiving food drive; our families donated 1,779 items to the Goodwin Center’s Pantry which provided delicious meals for families throughout Decatur Township. Doing service for others is a great way to begin the holiday season.
The middle of the school year is a great time for families to check in with students on goals. The staff of West Newton supports our students in setting goals to show growth as they begin their winter assessments in NWEA for reading, math, and language arts as well as their winter math facts and writing assessments. Setting academic and personal goals helps to motivate, energize, and focus students, and it is a valuable skill that will benefit learners throughout their lives. Noted in this newsletter are 2 links that parents will find very valuable to use at home - one is for ISTEP for grades 3-6 and the other is for IREAD3 for grade 3.
December is a busy month full of special events so please make sure to keep these dates in mind:
· Sat., Dec. 2 = Winter Wonderland + Breakfast with Santa 9am-1pm
· Dec. 4-8 = Santa’s Secret Shop from 8:30am – 1:30pm
· Thurs., Dec. 14 = Grades 3 & 4 Music Program at 7pm
· Fri., Dec. 15 = Movie Night from 6:00-8:00pm
· Wed., Dec. 20 = Winter Parties at 1:45pm
· Dec. 21 – Jan. 2 = Winter Break
· Wed., Jan. 3 = School Reconvenes
MEET OUR THIRD GRADE TEAM
A NOTE FROM THE NURSE:
The days are getting chillier as fall continues into winter! It is VERY important that your children are dressing appropriately to prevent any health issues related to the cold! Please make sure they are coming to school with a jacket/coat as they will still continue to go outdoors for recess if weather permits. As the temperature continues to drop, please also make sure your child has appropriate head gear on such as stocking caps and/or scarfs (FYI-heat is released through your head)! Also make sure they are wearing gloves during very low temperatures to help prevent frost bite! We have a limited supply of new gloves, hats, and scarves available, if you're unable to provide them for your student. Remember, just because it’s not snowing does not mean the cold cannot do damage to your little ones!! As always, THANK YOU for helping to keep all our tiger cubs healthy and ready to learn!
Cold and Flu Reminders!
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Cold and flu season is upon us! My main goal this season is to keep our West Newton students and staff as healthy as possible. I will need everyone’s help in order to accomplish this goal! The following are some reminders about illness and your children:
1) Students that have a fever above or equal to 100.0 degrees MUST STAY HOME!
2) Students cannot return to school until they have been fever free for 24 hours WITHOUT the use of medication. The Center for Disease Control recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care.
3) Students will only be sent home sick if they have a fever above or equal to 100.0, vomiting twice or more in 30 minutes, and/or are experiencing frequent diarrhea. If a student has a low grade temperature in the morning or has vomited/had diarrhea they are most likely contagious. PLEASE KEEP THEM HOME!
4) Seek emergency medical attention if your child shows any of these symptoms:
-Fast or troubled breathing
-Bluish skin color
-Not drinking any fluids
-Not waking up or not interacting
-Flu-like symptoms resolve but then return with high fever and/or worsening cough
-Fever with a rash
5) Washing your hands is the BEST way to prevent the spread of cold and flu!!
6) Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze (try coughing into your sleeve instead of your hand-ALWAYS wash your hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer!
7) Please notify the school if your student has been diagnosed with influenza A and please make sure to share any doctor’s notes or medical documentation related to the illness with the school nurse.
Thank you for your help in keeping our Tiger cubs healthy and ready to learn!! J
Paige Ison, RN
West Newton School Nurse
The Holiday Season is just around the corner... Many non-profits are starting their application process for additional help during this time. If you are a family that may need some additional support during this time please contact our Community In Schools Site Coordinator (Mrs. Lecher @ ext. 1140). She will be able to provide you with many different contacts and supports.
One provider is Community Caring and Sharing on 2830 S. Holt Road, 46241. Christmas Sign up for families living in Decatur Township will be: Tuesdays 11:30-3:00; Wednesdays 10:00-3:00; and Thursdays 10:00-3:00. The last day to sign up is November 21, 2017. For information please call 317-243-8023.
MSD DECATUR APP
West Newton PTO ~ Events at a Glance
Saturday, 2nd / 9:00-1:00 --- Winter Wonderland
Monday, 4th - Friday 8th --- Secret Santa Shop / 8:30-1:30
Friday, 15th / 6:00-8:00 --- Movie Night
Thursday, 21st - Tuesday, January 2nd --- Winter Break
Wednesday 3rd --- School reconvenes
Tuesday, 9th / 6:00 ---PTO Meeting
Friday, 12th / 6:00-8:00 --- Movie Night
Thursday, 18th / 6:00 ---Skating Party
Winter Wonderland ~ December 2, 2017
Pancake Breakfast - CASH ONLY
Adults - $5.00
Elementary Students - $4.00
Children 5 & under - Free
Go to www.decaturproud.org
Click on the tab 'Families', then 'Volunteer' to submit an electronic form.
Don't have a computer, not a problem. Volunteer forms are available in the school office.
For more information contact:
Bev O'Toole 317-241-0183 or firstname.lastname@example.org
BOX TOPS for EDUCATION
Clipping Box Tops for Education is an easy way to help earn cash for our school. Each one is worth 10¢ for our school! Just look for the pink Box Tops on hundreds of products. All you have to do is clip them and send them to school. Your child can earn personal rewards and rewards for their class or grade level when they bring in Box Tops! For more information on Box Tops, including a list of participating products, go to BTFE.com. Be sure to sign up as a member (it’s free!) so you can check out our school’s earnings details and get access to coupons and bonus offers. You can also download the Box Tops Bonus App to earn even more money for our school.
Thank you for your support!
DECATUR TOWNSHIP STATEMENT
SANTA AT THE LOG CABIN
SANTA AT THE LOG CABIN
5106 S. High School Rd, Across from Valley Mills Elementary
December 9, 2017-- 12pm-4pm 6pm-8pm
December 10, 2017- 12pm-5pm
December 16, 2017- 12pm-4pm 6pm-8pm
December 17, 2017- 12pm-5pm
We will have hot chocolate, warm fresh baked cookies, hand-painted ornaments, and Pictures with Santa.
Hot Cocoa $1.00
Hand Painted Ornaments $1.00
Decatur Township Relay for Life Fundraiser! Pets are welcome!