Baron Weekly, October 17th, 2016
School Motto "Setting the Standard for Excellence"
Athlete Avenue from AD Murphy
AD Corner…How fast it goes ALREADY. We are already half way through the Fall season and in less than a month we will be starting our Winter season. Our football team has already taken on 5 of the top ten teams in the county. Girls volleyball already has a winning league record, while our field hockey team has already secured the #4 rank in their division. Our girls tennis team also has a winning record already while our polo players are on their horses in the pool. Our cross country teams have already ran about 6,000 miles and we have a stud golfer, Hannah Jugar, who has already made a name for herself. If you haven’t had the chance to check out our beautiful new tennis courts, now is your chance. Our student athletes would love to see you out there supporting them, so get out there ALREADY!
Field Hockey vs Southwest
Water Polo vs. Eastlake
JV Football vs. Mater Dei
Water Polo vs. Mar Vista
Varsity Football vs. Mater Dei
Field Hockey vs Hilltop
JV Field Hockey vs Hilltop
Freshman Volleyball vs. Mater Dei
JV Volleyball vs. Mater Dei
Varsity Volleyball vs. Mater Dei
Freshman Volleyball vs. Eastlake
JV Volleyball vs. Eastlake
Varsity Volleyball vs. Eastlake
Freshman Football vs. Otay Ranch
Water Polo vs. Mater Dei
Varsity Football @ Otay Ranch
Counselor Assignment 2016-2017
Brian Smith A- Canciller
Olga Castro Cancio – Elliot
Rosa Tovar Ellis - Hernandez, Nathaniel
Lorena Lucero-Mata Hernandez, Nicole – Martinez
Vanessa McPherson Masanes – Pierce
Reynila Calderon-Magbuhat Pike – Seq
Lorena Serrano Serrano - Z
October has been a very busy month. Counselors have been meeting with seniors to review their high school graduation requirements, Compact for Success status, post-secondary plans (college/career), college testing, and financial aid. Here is the link to the packet that was distributed to the seniors prior to Fall Break:
There have been a few changes with counselor duties. This year, Brian Smith and Reynila Calderon-Magbuhat are Co-Lead Counselors. Olga Castro is Scholarship Counselor, while Vanessa McPherson is Advisor of the California Scholarship Federation (CSF).
For more information, please see our website:
as well as Instagram: bvhs_scholarships2016_2017
& Twitter: @bv_scholarships
Senior Scholarship Night
Tuesday, Nov. 1 at 6 pm in the BVHS Cafeteria.
This is a great opportunity for 12th grade students and their parents to learn how to research and apply for the hundreds of scholarship opportunities available throughout the year. For more information, see Ms. Castro.
Financial Aid Night
Wednesday, November 30th
6 pm in the BVHS Gym.
College Application Period
Seniors may begin applying to colleges.
California State University (CSU)
Apply: October 1 – November 30.
University of California (UC)
Apply: November 1 – November 30
Samantha Guarin is our new SWC Peer Advisor. She will be here on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7:30 am – 2:30 pm in the Counseling Center. Samantha will be assisting our seniors with the community college application process as well as financial aid.
Students may pick up permission forms for the college presentations in the Counseling Center. Presentations will be held in the Counseling Center.
University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB) – period 5, Monday, 10/17
Point Loma Nazarene University (PLNU) – period 4, Thursday, 10/20
University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) – period 3, Friday, 10/21
University of San Francisco (USF) – period 4, Friday, 10/28
Mount Saint Mary’s University – period 3, Tuesday, 11/15
Career Speakers Visits
Students may pick up permission forms for career speaker presentations in the counseling center. Presentations will be held in the cafeteria.
Test Technician at Qualcomm (Electrical Engineering) - period 4, Tuesday, 11/1
Video Game Arts & Design – period 5, Wednesday, 11/30
Military Branch: US Army – period 5, Thursday, 12/8
Our school’s eleven support groups will be starting the week of October 17th. These small group counseling sessions are beneficial in assisting our students to learn important interpersonal communication skills while increasing their resiliency, self-esteem, and success rate in school. The following groups will meet for six weeks on various days during the week: Positive Thinking, Female Empowerment, Boys-to-Men, Girls-to-Women, Body Image, Grief & Loss, Sexual Identity, Family, and a group for Spanish Speakers.
The support groups will rotate during periods 2-6. Each group has a faculty facilitator coupled with Peer Counselors. The group facilitators will submit a list to the Attendance Office in order for the absence to be coded a school-related absence. All participating students are held responsible for material missed in class. Should there be a concern regarding a student’s absence from your class, please direct your concerns to his or her counselor, since confidentiality of the student’s participation must be highly maintained. Thanks in advance for your support and cooperation.
Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
- Tuesday and Wednesday 18/19th will find you working in PLC Teams. Agenda will be out today.
- Reminder to keep your Focus Boards focused on rich teaching and learning.
- "Bell to bell" instruction is a must!
- Ensure effective instruction that results in engagement and mastery.
How to send grades notice on Infinite Campus
BVH Blended Learning Website (in-progress, this is a project I am working on for my M.Ed. ideas/suggestions welcome)
- Ms. Mahzad's chem students painting with the paint they made below!
Creating a College Going Culture
Is it a cold or the flu?
Cold & Flu Prevention Tips
· Wash hands: Do it thoroughly with soap and warm water. Washing hands often will help protect from flu germs.
· Control stress level: Prolonged stress levels can affect your immune system. To manage stress, find balance between work, exercise, and personal time.
· Get lots of rest: Make sure you are rested. Sleep deprivation may slow ability to stay alert and make you vulnerable to the flu and other viruses.
· Cover your mouth, nose: When coughing or sneezing, use a tissue to help prevent passing the germs to those around you.
· Avoid touching eyes, nose or mouth: You can infect yourself by unknowingly touching something with flu germs and then touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
· Avoid direct contact with sick people: Besides avoiding sick people, keep your distance from others if you are sick.
Establishing a Positive School Culture
Baron Von Steed Staff Member of the Month
- "He is an asset to BVH!"
- "He does an excellent job of running TEAM!" "Rocking!"
- "He is so positive and proactive and really impressed with his work ethic and conscientiousness!"
- "He is organized and has his tutors on point!" "He exceeds expectations!"
- "He is a pleasure to work with, takes his work seriously and has the students' best interest....so glad he is with us!"
- Congratulations to Steve Wiggs! Steve is this month's Baron Von Steed Staff Member of the Month!!!
Other Announcements and Celebrations!
- November 2nd will bring the annual district A.P.E soccer tournament to our north soccer fields!
- Mondays -"Dress for Success", Wednesdays -"College Day" (except the second Wednesday of the month - "Putting Students First"), Fridays -" BARON WEAR!!
- 2017 National Merit Scholarship finalists! Congratulations to Ellen and Jeanne Lee! Approximately 1.6 million juniors in more than 22,000 high schools nationwide enter the Program and Jeanne and Ellen are the ONLY two students in our entire district to have made it to the finalist level!!!
President Barak Obama