Find Your Future in Manufacturing
Manufacturing Facts for South Central & Southwest Minnesota
- One in five jobs are in Manufacturing
- There are approximately 31,595 manufacturing jobs in South Central & Southwest MN
- Manufacturing provides higher wage employment opportunities with an average annual wage of $51,737
- High Demand jobs in Manufacturing include: Welders, Industrial Machinery Mechanics, First-Line Supervisors, Industrial Engineering Technicians, Machinists, Mechanical Engineering Technicians, Team Assemblers and many more.
- Manufactures also employee several other occupational groups such sales, information technology, office and administrative support and transportation and material moving.
Check out Manufacturing Infographics to learn more about Manufacturing Careers.
Celebrate Minnesota Manufacturing Month this October by participating in the South Central Tour of Manufacturing!
South Central Tour of Manufacturing
This annual event gives students, job seekers and the general public an opportunity to learn about what’s manufactured in their local community and the exciting career opportunities available. South Central Tour of Manufacturing will be held on October 6th with some sites having tours available on October 8th as well.
More details about the South Central Tour of Manufacturing will be communicated to your local high school. You can also check out South Central Tour of Manufacturing Facebook page or website to learn more.
Learn More about Manufacturing Careers
Minnesota Manufactured is a great resource regarding career opportunities in Manufacturing.
Manufacturing as a Career
In today’s economy, education is the passport to success – but it doesn’t necessarily have to be a four-year degree. Consider this:
- Half of all U.S. jobs today can be defined as “middle skill,” requiring a two-year associate degree or some post-high school technical training.
- Over the next five years, one of every two new jobs will be middle skill jobs.
Together these trends indicate a major opportunity for the next generation of workers who pick this exciting field!
Source: Minnesota Manufactured
Women in Manufacturing
Manufacturing pays 7% more than all other industries
however only 1 in 3 manufacturing jobs are held by women.
Please encouraged women and girls to consider
the many great opportunities in manufacturing.
Learn more about Women in Manufacturing on the
Minnesota Manufactured website
Employment Applications 101
- Employers use applications to learn about your qualifications and compare you to other applicants
- Employment applications are legal documents and will become part of your employment record when hired
- Have your information ready before you start an application. Consider completing a personal data record prior to filling out an application so you have all the information you need with you and spelled correctly. A personal data template is attached below.
- Follow directions
- Be neat & complete
- Use proper grammar/tenses/capitalization and spelling
- Target the application to the job you are applying for. Remember to include your skills.
- Don't leave anything blank
- Do not exaggerate skills, education or experiences
- Check out CareerForce MN's youth application checklist
- Practice filling out an Online Application through CAREERwise
Visit a CareerForce location in Fairmont, Mankato or New Ulm for additional assistance or to take a workshop. You can also check out additional employment application information on CareerForceMN and CAREERwise websites.
Employers use job applications to view qualifications and compare applicants. Use these tips to successfully complete your job application.