VA Thespian Update
VA Thespians Kudos & Happenings
September 2022: Welcome back!
Happy fall everyone! I know it is hard to see summer come to a close. Hopefully you are refreshed and ready for a new year! I chose legos to remind ourselves that we are building up programs, new preps, new classes, new shows this year. Give yourself grace, make time for YOU, and let us know how we can support you! -Love, The Virginia Thespian Board!
Follow us on social media for more information and updates! We would love to know how to support you this year. Please complete our 2023 Troupe Director Survey.
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES!
Nov 6th- Regular registration closes, NO MORE shows, Thespys, auditions or other entries, only late school registration allowed until Dec 1st after this point
Dec 10th- Guest Artist, Colleges, Vendor, and all other application deadlines
We have a potentially exciting headliner that we will announce in October related to a hopeful all-state show so keep your eyes peeled for that!
Join us for Virginia Thespian Teacher PD summer 2023!
Snapshot from our group sharing time discussing best practices, favorite shows we directed, and more!
Group shot of most attendees- we hope to go bigger and offer EVEN MORE next summer!
Moment from stage intimacy workshop reflecting upon processes that best support students through more challenging moments in a show.
Teacher Tool of the Month: Favorite Lessons from Fellow Thespians
You do NOT need to have a student get a superior or a show to be selected to go to ITF! Anyone can go. Ask us more about this at VTF this winter!
Daily8 Count Resource
Hi theatre educators!
After being asked for years, in 2019 I developed a classroom resource designed to build confidence through choreography...daily8count!
Each week daily8count releases a short musical theatre dance combination broken down over 5 brief videos for ALL skill levels!
Daily8count strives to be the most adaptable theatre classroom resource…”perfect bellringer”, “excellent warmup / cooldown”! Stream each week's content on your own schedule (i.e. one video each school day...or 2 on Tuesday & 3 on Thursday...or even have a dedicated "CHOREOGRAPHY DAY" each week where you learn that week's combination all at once).
Each combination will remain accessible for 4 weeks.
For less than the cost of bringing in a teaching artist for a day, dance with daily8count for the entire year! Early bird pricing is now extended until 9/11/2022.
P.S. Daily8count is a true one-person operation dedicated to building confidence through choreography...we strongly believe in equity/inclusion for all, would you please consider donating to our scholarship fund so less fortunate programs can access daily8count.
-Brian Curl (Teaching Artist Alliance, Frequent Thespian Festival Guest Artist)
Welcome to our 2022-23 VTOs!
Join this art platform below for local artists, resources, and more!
Join this mailing list for rich virtual panel discussions, up-and-coming works, & more!
How to Find out More...?
Virginia Thespians Alumni Group
Spring/ Fall ITS Inductions Checklist
1. Hold an interest meeting. Ask- Who is interested in becoming inducted into ITS?
2. Share out the point application for students to complete with their past and current theatrical experiences for certain point values.
3. Have students fill out the Member Google form, for the exact information you need to collect to put them into the official ITS/ EdTA system, and pay $35 for the one-time membership fee, which lasts them a lifetime. (More materials at the bottom of the newsletter to promote and explain ITS.)
4. Hold inductions. Here is a sample outline to use. You can create your own rituals, traditions, or if you are in a pinch, it can be less than 30 minutes before school starts or before a rehearsal for example.
5. Log into your myedta account to input all of your new inductees.
6. Pay the lump sum as the director, if your students didn't pay EdTA directly. Our suggestion is to collect the money as you typically do for school events, work with your bookkeeper or boosters to cut one check to EdTA to keep it simple.
7. Hold an end of year or semester celebration to hand out the new goodies when they are delivered to the school!
Don't have a troupe yet? Read more about the benefits and process here!