June 2019 Newsletter
Important August Dates
- August 12th-13th, 8:50am-12:00pm Summer Prep Program
- August 13th- New to District Registration
- August 14th- Registration
- 7th Grade 8:30am-10:00am
- 8th Grade 10:30am-12:00pm
You are more than welcome to come to registration, but you do not need to report to NWJH for registration if you can update your PowerSchool, get your student’s schedule from PowerSchool and pay fees online. Links to complete all registration steps will be included in the August newsletter. You are also welcome to attend either registration time.
- August 14th- Student pictures-there will also be an option for student pictures on August 23rd from 9:00am-10:00am
- August 15th-Math Placement Test 1:00pm-3:00pm
- August 19th-ELL Testing 8:30am-11:30am
- August 19th-Parent Meeting 6:00pm-7:00pm
- August 19th-Parent Sports Meeting-7:00pm-7:30pm
- August 21st-7th Grade Orientation 1:00pm-3:00pm
- August 23rd-First Day of School, Dismissal at 3:00pm
Mindfulness for Teens (MfT)
- Mondays, June 17-July 22, 2019
- 1:30-3:00 PM at Heartland Yoga, downtown Iowa City
- Required information session: Wednesday, June 5 - 7:15-8:00 PM—teens attend with a parent and register at this time.*
- Price: $250
- MfT is designed for young people who are currently in grades 8-12, but occasionally I have had students who’ve just completed 7th grade who have a strong interest in mindfulness
- For more information contact Kerri Potter email@example.com
This 6-week class provides teens with an introduction to mindfulness practices and concepts. he class will support them in:
- improving their ability to concentrate and focus
- working with emotions and being more resilient in the face of change
- developing greater compassion for themselves and others
- learning to listen to the wisdom of their body
Northwest Needs Your Donations!
Please remember Northwest Junior High when donating! Information about how to donate to Northwest is listed below. Your donation to the Northwest Ask Campaign is tax deductible! We are in need of funds to support our classroom teachers, field trips, music, art, industrial tech, PBIS, AVID, drama, clubs, and many other extra needs we have throughout the year. If you would like more specific details about how we spend our funds, please let me know. In a separate campaign, we are also asking for money to purchase new athletic uniforms. There is not an account for this, so it is 100% funded through donations. We are very grateful for your support!
We can also use donations of the following items: Backpacks, No. 2 Pencils, Presharpened, Tissues, Hand Sanitizer.
Select "Northwest Junior High Ask Campaign" under "Choose Campaign Drop Menu"
Immunization and Dental Screening Requirements
Per Iowa law, junior high students must have a meningococcal vaccine (to prevent meningitis, a bacteria that infects the brain, blood and spinal cord) and a Tdap booster (to prevent tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis/whooping cough). Please check your child’s immunization record or call their health care provider to find out if they had the Tdap booster and meningitis shot and make an appointment if needed. Johnson County Public Health also provides the immunizations at no cost to children with or without health insurance. Please call 319-356-6042 to make an appointment. Please turn in an updated “Certificate of Immunization” before the new school year begins. Your child may not be able to attend school without these required vaccines.
All students who are interested in playing a sport in junior high MUST have a current pre-participation “sports” physical exam on file at their school. You can turn this in prior to the start of their sport season (or at the start of the school year). A physical exam is good for 13 months from the date of the exam before expiring. Please schedule an appointment with your health care provider now to ensure that your child will be allowed to practice and play when school starts in August. If your child does not have health insurance, free medical care (including sports physicals) is available through the Healthy Kids School-based Health Clinics. Call the Clinic Coordinator at 319-631-3204 (Se habla español; Français parlé). The Clinic is open during the summer.
DENTAL SCREENING FOR 9th GRADERS
Iowa law requires that all 9th graders have a dental screen done by a dentist or dental hygienist between the beginning of 8th grade and spring of their 9th grade year. Ask your child’s dentist/ dental hygienist to complete the Iowa “Certificate of Dental Screening” form. Please return the completed certificate to your child's school office. If your child does not have dental insurance coverage or you cannot pay for dental care, contact the Johnson County Public Health I-Smiles Coordinator at 319-356-6045 for assistance.
All forms are available on the district website: https://www.iowacityschools.org/Page/1146
The Iowa City Community School District Board of Directors approved new elementary attendance areas for the 2019-20 school year. The new boundaries were approved during their November 27 board meeting.
The updated maps can be found on the District website at the following link: www.IowaCitySchools.org/DistrictMaps.
In addition, the District’s Attendance Area Look-Up links have been updated to reflect the approved boundary changes. The Attendance Area Look-Up links provide school information specific for your home address. The links can be found on the District website at the following link: www.IowaCitySchools.org/AttendanceAreaLookUp.
Junior high and high school students may also be impacted by these changes. Please be sure to check the Attendance Area Look-Up link above to determine if changes to the elementary boundaries have affected your student.