Oak Ridge High School
Wildcat iNews for the ORHS Wildcat Nation 06/01/2020 #137
DIPLOMA AND YEARBOOK DISTRIBUTION - WEDNESDAY, JUNE 3RD
Yearbooks and Diplomas will be distributed on Wednesday, June 3rd.
SENIORS - 9:00 - 11:00.
- The day Seniors have been waiting for: Pick up your Diploma, honor chords, graduation packet from Counseling, and pick up or purchase the 75th edition of the Oak Log
- ALL Debts MUST be settled to receive diplomas. Office staff will be calling families Monday and Tuesday to inform families of lost items or debts. This includes: library fines, lunch charges, computers, computer repairs, lost items such as cords, bags or stylus, chorus, band, ROTC uniform items and/or athletic gear or uniforms.
- Debts should be settled in the Main Office.
- Seniors unable to come Wednesday morning, may pick up items by appointment beginning the week of June 8th as access and limited staff are available this summer. Please contact Mrs. Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 865-304-3220 to make arrangements.
- Seniors will have the first opportunities to purchase the remaining 50 yearbooks for $85.00 cash.
Underclassmen 11 - 1:00 PM
- Freshman, Sophomores and Juniors may pick up their yearbooks beginning at 11:00.
- Yearbooks cannot be picked up for a friend, but can be picked up by a parent or guardian.
There is NO second distribution date due to lack of available staff. Underclassmen will receive their Oak Log when classes begin in the fall.
TN PROMISE VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY - IMMEDIATE NEED!
Signups have begun! Seniors can get their community service hours helping at ORHS in the month of June!
TNPromise Community Service Hours Information
If you are interested in community service in Oak Ridge, which still will incorporate social distancing, contact Mrs. Thompson for more details through email. email@example.com
IMPORTANT - ACTION REQUIRED FOR PARENTS OF 2021 - 2024 STUDENTS!
With the uncertainty regarding how "school will look" as we continue through the COVID pandemic, it is more important than ever to take care of signing the computer permission forms! The Technology User Agreement for the 2020-2021 school year is now LIVE in the Family Skyward account - NOT THE STUDENT account. There are three items which need to be checked and the date added to complete. A step-by-step instructional is below. Should you have problems, please contact Stephanie Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org or Carrie Harvey email@example.com for assistance.
RSCC - MIDDLE COLLEGE GRADUATION PLANS!
First of all, let me congratulate each of you on the amazing and wonderful accomplishment you each have achieved. You have earned your high school diploma and graduated from your respective high schools as a college junior. I know it has been a difficult road at times, but you stayed the course and finished the race. You will now move forward as a Roane State alum with your associates degree to your university. Before you go, we are hoping you will be able to participate with one more thing – Graduation.
The college has announced that plans are being made to hold our graduation ceremonies Saturday, July 25. Roane State will be sending an email out this coming Tuesday, May 26 on this development. The specific details are being, and will continue to be, worked out as we determine the number of students who wish to attend and the number of guest allowed according to CDC and TBR guidelines.
For Middle College graduates, we will participate as a group in the 2:00 service. If this arrangement should change, we will adjust accordingly as a group. Please keep this in mind as you submit if you plan to participate in the ceremony.
HOW TO MAKE A PAYMENT TO CAFETERIA
Payments can be brought to the school in check or cash during lunch distribution (11-1) each day to give to our cafeteria manager. Payments are NOT accepted by ORHS but through Aramark, our lunch provider.
CONGRATULATIONS ON RETIREMENT, MRS. MULLINS!!!
ORHS FRENCH STUDENTS TAKE NATIONAL TOP AWARDS!
We had two Gold medal winners, six Bronze medal winners, and eight Honorable Mentions! Level 2: Ella Kendall --Honorable Mention Aidan Onash—Honorable Mention Bryan Rivera—Honorable Mention Riley Gelb—8th in Tennessee/ 8th in USA—Bronze Medalist Jonathan Scott—8th in Tennessee/8th in USA—Bronze Medalist Level 3: Amelie Nagle—Honorable Mention Selena Piercy—Honorable Mention Beatrice Shea—Honorable Mention Manuel Bastien—8th in Tennessee/9th in USA—Bronze Medalist Macy Shiller—2nd in Tennessee/ 3rd in USA—Gold Medalist Level 4: Matthew Kendall: 7th in Tennessee/ 17th in USA—Bronze Medalist Breanna Slessman: 9th in Tennessee/20th in USA—Bronze Medalist Level 5: Miles Jackson—Honorable Mention Leah Manning—Honorable Mention Zane Accawi—2nd in Tennessee/ 13th in USA—Bronze Medalist Melody Guo—1st in Tennessee/ 6th in USA—Gold Medalist
TOP WRENCH WINNER, BRADY HUTSON!
STUDENT COUNCIL AWARDS SCHOLARSHIP TO A 2020 GRADUATE
DOES YOUR TEEN NEED AN SF-1010 FORM FOR THEIR DRIVER'S PERMIT???
CITY OF OAK RIDGE YOUTH ADVISORY BOARD
The Youth Advisory Board is accepting applications for the next school year. The term of office begins on August 1st, 2020. Participation on the City of Oak Ridge YAB requires attendance at bi-monthly meetings on Wednesday afternoon right after school and also at special events throughout the year. All interested students are encouraged to fill out the online application located at www.oakridgetn.gov or you may call the Front Desk of the Civic Center at 865-425-3450 to obtain a paper copy. Application requirements include being an Oak Ridge resident and a student that is entering 8th-12th grade. Applications will be due by June 15, 2020 to the City Clerk’s Office. For any further questions, please contact Matt Reedy at 865-425-3450 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Direct link to the application: https://oakridgetn.granicus.com/boards/w/b28b9ab627896ecd
READ THIS SUMMER A WIN A CHANCE FOR A GIFTCARD!
SUMMER READING - LOOKIN' A LITTLE DIFFERENT THIS YEAR!
SUMMER ACTIVITY FOR THESPIANS!
WELCOME PARENTS OF THE CLASS OF 2024!
Twitter: @ORHSClassof2024 and @stefthompson63
PARENTS OF 2022'S!!
WILDCAT ATHLETIC INFORMATION!
ORHS ATHLETES - REQUIRED FORMS!
Important COVID-19 Information
ORHS WILDCAT FOOTBALL WORKOUTS START JUNE 1ST
Please see the message below from Coach Gaddis.
I'm excited to inform you that we will begin varsity football activities Monday, June 1, in accordance with the Oak Ridge Schools COVID-19 Guidelines. Players in grades 10-12 will have practice in the mornings 8:00-9:45, Monday-Thursday for the next three weeks (the Dead Period is June 22-July 3). They should report to the Ben Martin practice field Monday June 1 at 8:00 AM for an organizational meeting. I will present the June plan to our players at this time, as well as collect and distribute the required forms for participation. The freshmen players will report for the first time Wednesday, June 3, at 10:00 AM, for their organizational meeting where the same forms will be collected and distributed.
Some of the critical points of our plan are highlighted below.
• We will use infrared forehead thermometers to check every player every day. If a player has a temperature of 100.4 or above, he will be sent home.
• All players should report every day dressed for practice and wearing his football cleats. We will NOT be utilizing the locker room for changing clothes.
• Players should NOT bring any valuables, as there is no place to lock them up.
• Varsity players should arrive just before 8:00 AM and plan to leave immediately upon the completion of practice.
• Freshmen players should arrive just before 10:00 AM and plan to leave immediately upon the completion of practice.
• Players will not be utilizing the weight room.
• Players should bring their own water bottle/jug with his name on it. The team water station will NOT be utilized.
• Players are required to have two forms (the waiver form and extracurricular participation form) signed by a parent and turned in to me, before they can practice. These will be sent in an email in the next day or two.
In addition, parents, family members, and fans are welcome to watch practice as long as they engage in social distancing as they do so.
Thank goodness football is back!
Head Football Coach
Oak Ridge High School
WANT TO BE AN ORHS MEN'S BASKETBALL WILDCAT???
LADY WILDCAT BASKETBALL TRYOUTS!
The Oak Ridge High School Lady Wildcat Basketball team will hold tryouts/workouts starting Monday, June 1. We have several guidelines that we have to follow due to COVID-19 restrictions. The two forms in the iNews for all athletes must be signed by both the parent and student athlete and returned to me before your daughter can work out with us on Monday. She can bring the forms Monday morning. If anyone shows up without the signed forms, they will not be able to participate. Below are a few guidelines that all girls should be aware of:
• We can only have a maximum of 10 players in the gym at one time.
• Each player must bring their own water bottle.
• The locker room will not be open and the players will not have access to it.
• Each player should come fully dressed ready for workouts upon entering the building.
• Each player must leave immediately after workouts are over.
• The players can not share a ball with a teammate and have to stay at least 6 feet apart at all times.
• The coaches have to take each player’s temperature upon their arrival to the arena
• Both forms must be signed and turned in to participate in workouts.
• We will open the bottom glass doors at the bottom of the stairs of the arena to let the players in at their assigned time.
We are staggering our groups for tryouts. If you are interested in trying out and have not contacted Coach Taylor please send her an email at: email@example.com.
BASEBALL TRYOUTS JUNE 3RD & 4TH
Baseball will host tryouts starting Wednesday June 3rd and Thursday June 4th.
These times will vary based on group sizes. Coach Free needs each player interested in trying out to email him directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. He will then set up a tryout date and time for your son. Attached are the guidelines for the returning to activity that ORS has put in place for all sports and the summer months. Please read and familiarize yourself with these guidelines. Also you will find the attached COVID 19- waiver that will need to be signed and brought to the tryout. Coach Free will just need the disclaimer form returned. Please let Coach Free know you are interested and he will be in touch in a timely manner.
Because of the early release from school this year, the ORHS Band Color Guard was unable to hold our annual clinic/audition for the Fall class. Check out our Oak Ridge High School Guard Facebook page and our instagram page @jackbrad.orcg. This is the direct link to the application form:
EVERYONE who wants to join Color Guard for the 2020-21 school year will need to apply and qualify even if you are already registered for the class. Applications will be accepted through Thursday, June 4th.
UPDATE ON SPORTS PHYSICALS FOR 2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR
The physical FORM has not been finalized at this time. As soon as it is ready to publish, it will be posted in the iNews, the ORTN.EUD/HIGHSCHOOL website as well as all social media platforms schools use for communication.
Ways to Connect and STAY INFORMED!
Website - http://www.ortn.edu/highschool/
Daily Bulletin - http://www.ortn.edu/highschool/daily-bulletin/
Channel 15 at 7:50 AM - Watch the announcements each morning by our Crew! YouTube Streaming: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL9N_azmWeQByrIW6pWLBlQ
Live in Knox/Anderson/Roane - If you live throughout Anderson/Roane/Knox counties and have ATT Uverse you can find us on Channel 99 – just select the Oak Ridge Schools option.
Skylert Messages and Emails - Please make sure your current email address and phone numbers are up to date!!!
PTSO Newsletter - PTSO distributes a VERY detailed quarterly newsletter to inform parents of upcoming events and LOTS of counseling information! This comes to your email! They also have a presence on the website: http://www.orhs-ptso.org/news-information with tons of information! PTSO also has a Facebook presence, and we encourage you to "LIKE" their page! https://www.facebook.com/ORHSPTSO/
Twitter - Follow the accounts listed below