Kickemuit Middle School
Husky Highlights: February 10, 2020
Hello KMS Families!
Happy week before break!!
Wishing Congratulations to our Spelling Bee winners and our amazing team who put the whole event together!
Please review the information below and let us know if you have any questions.
Your KMS Administration Team
Dr. Rosemary Burns | Grade 8 Administrator
Mr. David Patota | Grade 7 Administrator
Mrs. Michelle Clifford | Grade 6 Administrator
Mr. Frank DeVall Jr. | Dean of Students
List of Information & Reminders included in this Newsletter
- Congratulations Mr. Ryan | KMS Star Teacher for The Bee
- SAVE THE DATE: 2020 Statewide survey is next month!
- KMS Artists Showcase!
- No School Next Week! Feb. 17th-21st
- Save those Memories! Order your KMS 2020 Yearbook Today!
- POSTPONED | Caffeine & Conversations Session 2
- Intramural Basketball
- Best Buddies: Providence Bruins Trip | Permission Slips Due
- Math Tutoring on Tuesday!
- Masquers | Rehearsals!
- Science Olympiad This Week & Congratulations!
- STAAND Meeting Reminder & CARNATION SALE
- Coding Club on Wednesday!
"Beyond the Bag" Plastic Recycling Competition: We have collected 15lbs of plastic!
- KMS PTO Updates- FEBRUARY DATE Change
- School Store: Now open every other on Fridays!
- Athletics Updates | Spring Sports Registration & KMS LAX Parent Meeting
- NJHS | Ceremony UPDATE
- International Moms Tea Time | You're Invited to Afternoon Tea!
- MT Hope Ice Hockey plays at the Dunk | Feb 14th
- Recycle your gently used | Middle School Level | Books to the KMS Reading Dept!
- Influenza on the rise | Notes from Nurse Welchman
- King Phillip Little League Spring Baseball & Softball Info
- PPAC Art Scholarship | Deadline February 28th
- Bee Amazed at the 12th Annual Bee!
- Bristol Youth Flag Football open to K-6 Girls and Boys: NEW DATES
- Yoga for Teens! | Bristol Parks & Rec.
1. CONGRATULATIONS Mr. Ryan! | KMS STAR Teacher for The Bee
Kickemuit Star Teacher for The Bee is Mr. RYAN!
"Social studies is really important because it takes elements of all the other disciplines and kind of synthesizes them to give kids a picture of what the world was, what it is, and what it might turn into...small things make big changes, and teaching gives me the chance to find one of those small things that may eventually lead to a bigger change..." - Mr. Ryan
BWEF congratulates Mr. Ryan, and will honor him at The Bee on March 7th at Roger Williams University. For more information, and to support all our wonderful teachers, visit https://bwedfoundation.org
2. Statewide School Survey | Save the Date: March 2nd-14th!
3. "Creativity is contagious, pass it on" -A.E. | KMS Artists Grade 8
Inspired by English artist J.M.W. Turner, students studied Art Works of dramatic storms. Students tried to create a dramatic mood by depicting storm of their own. They established chiaroscuro in their paintings in order to foster a mood in the environment, using light to dark to create contrast.
As preparation for the painting process itself, students compared illustrations in a book with various paintings of storms. Liberal experimentation with different painting techniques is evident in this collections, as well as color blending with acrylic
National Art Standards 1-6 were applied in this lesson
4. No School NEXT Week!
Wishing everyone a safe and relaxing time off!
7. Intramural Basketball (Winter Club Sport)
I sent an email Wednesday, Feb 5th to families who signed up on Family ID for this winter sport. If you missed that info here it is again:
Thursday, February 6
Monday, February 10
Tuesday, February 11
Wednesday, February 12
Thursday, February 13
Friday, February 14
Monday, February 24
Tuesday, February 25
Wednesday, February 26
Thursday, February 27
Friday, February 28
All will take place in gymnasium from 2-3. Late bus will be provided if needed. Must have signed up on family ID to attend. Any Questions, see Mr. Cast
9. The Math Tutor Program
14. "Beyond the Bag" Plastic Recycling Competition | A Win-Win-Win Situation!
UPDATE: Throughout the month of January our KMS community collected over 15 pounds of plastic. This program runs from American Recycles day in November to Earth Day in April. Thank you to all have participated and keep collecting.
A WIN-WIN-WIN SITUATION
When you donate your unwanted plastic materials to KMS not only are you helping to keep thousands of pounds of waste out of landfills, you're also helping us to continue to create beautiful and environmentally responsible outdoor products.
Drop off bins in the front foyer | Contact - Molly.Scarborough@bwrsd.org with questions
16. Reminder: School Store open on Fridays during lunch!
17. KMS Athletics | Spring Sports Registration NOW OPEN!
Spring Sports Registration NOW Open until February 23rd
Spring Season Begins March 2, 2020
Spring Sports offered: Baseball, Softball, Boys & Girls Track, Club Lacrosse & Intramural Tennis/Volleyball
- Club LAX is run by the Parent Group & requires special insurance that can be purchased at USlacrosse.org. Check out LAX site for FAQ https://www.kmslax.com/
- Baseball/Softball fields open as early as April 1st. Practices are at Colt State Park once the fields are open, from 2:30-4:30PM
- Registration is done through Family ID (link will become active on 1/13/20)
- All schedules will be on RIPCOA.Org or Mthopehuskies.com closer to the start of the season.
- All students must have be signed up on Family ID, have a RIPCOA risk form and current physical on file with the nurse in order to participate or try out.
19. International Moms Tea Time | You're Invited
You are invited for afternoon tea with Ms. Ramirez in Room 215 at Kickemuit Middle School. Come and meet KMS moms from other countries! Learn about some of the amazing cultures that make up the KMS family. Please click the button below, fill out the form & return the bottom part.
20. Mt Hope Boys Ice Hockey play @ the Dunk! | Mt Hope vs Somerset Berkley
21. Recycle your gently used | Middle School Level | Books to the KMS Reading Dept!
22. Influenza on the rise | Notes from Nurse Welchman
To better understand when and where influenza activity is occurring, to monitor influenza-related illness, outbreaks, hospitalizations, and to determine circulating and emerging influenza virus strains please contact the School Nurse if your child has the flu and/or tests positive for the flu.
Thank you for your attention to this important health announcement.
Questions or concerns you can contact me @ 401-245-2010 Ext 2009
Erin Welchman M.Ed, BSN, RN, RICSNT
Kickemuit Middle School
525 Child Street
Warren, RI 02885
Tel. 401-245-2010 Ext 2009
23. KPLL Spring Baseball & Softball
24. PPAC Art Scholarship | Deadline February 28th
2020 ARTS SCHOLARSHIPS APPLICATIONS ARE NOW AVAILABLE!!
The Providence Performing Arts Center’s Community Outreach Committee is requesting applications to the 2020 ARTS Scholarships program. The ARTS Scholarships program, sponsored by The Textron Charitable Trust and PPAC’s Annual Fund donors with support from Ocean State Charities Trust, awards up to $500 in financial assistance to each of 30 winning Rhode Island students (15 from Providence, 15 from other Rhode Island communities) for summer arts education programs.
To be eligible, a student must:
- be aged 11 - 14 by June 1, 2020
- reside in and attend school in Rhode Island
- demonstrate artistic ability and interest
- demonstrate financial need
- submit a completed application
All applications must be filled out completely and correctly, signed by the student, the parent or guardian, and the student’s sponsor and submitted with supporting materials no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, February 28, 2020.
Applications, guidelines, and summer arts program lists are available through the links below or can be picked up at the PPAC Administrative Office at 220 Weybosset Street, 2nd Floor, Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. For questions or further information, contact Cynthia Goldsmith at 401-574-3105.
Need more information or Spanish translations: https://www.ppacri.org/outreach/arts-scholarship
Summer Art Programs 2020: https://www.ppacri.org/assets/doc/Summer-Arts-Programs-List-2020-2489a03b71.pdf