Murphy Middle School ENews
Back To School 2017-2018
6th Grade Open House
Thursday, Aug. 17th, 6:30-8pm
620 North Murphy Road
The Solar Eclipse
Dear Murphy Parents,
On August 21st, 2017, we will experience the first total solar eclipse visible in the U.S. since 1918. The total phase of this solar eclipse is not visible in Murphy, but can be observed as a partial solar eclipse. We will experience about 75% coverage.
Start time: 11:40 a.m.
Maximum: 1:09 p.m.
End Time: 2:39 p.m.
If weather permits, Murphy staff and students will be viewing the eclipse outdoors using certified viewing glasses. The Murphy PTA has purchased these glasses for each student.
In the case of weather that prevents us from going outside, we will watch live coverage of the eclipse in the classroom. NASA is providing a live stream online at https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-live-stream.
Families can access informational resources via the NASA website, including safety tips, educational activities, videos and more : https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov
We are looking forward to making this once-in-a-lifetime event meaningful for the students at Murphy Middle School. We wish you and your family a great summer and look forward to welcoming you back to school on August 21st.
Murphy Middle School Principal
PE and Athletics Information
PE UNIFORMS- You can order your PE uniform on-line at murphymavsshop.com. Students will need to have a grey shirt and blue shorts for PE class. If you order your uniform by August 11th it will not be at school until September 1st. Orders placed from August 12th- August 23rd will arrive at school during the 3rd week of the school year. All orders will be delivered to the school and past out to the students during their PE or Athletic period. If your student does not have PE until the second semester Coach Ragsdale will bring them their order to one of their classes.
Volleyball Tryouts- Volleyball tryouts will be held after school during the 1st week from Tuesday August 22nd to Friday August 25th. All students trying out should arrange for their ride to pick them up by the gym area by 4:30. Any 7th or 8th grade girl trying out for volleyball must have their physical, medical history, and all UIL paperwork filled out before they can try out. Students that do not have all paperwork filled out will not be able to try out. You can e-mail your physicals or medical history to Coach Ragsdale at email@example.com. 8th graders trying out that turned in a physical last year still need to turn in the medical history form.
Football- If your 7th or 8th grade athlete is playing football you should have already been receiving e-mails from Coach Ragsdale. If you are not receiving these e-mails please e-mail Coach Ragsdale. All football players paperwork is due by the 1st day of school. If at all possible I would like to have all of the paperwork turned in ASAP. All students must participate in 10 practices before they are eligible to play in a game. Football players that do not have their paperwork turned in by the 1st day of school will miss the first game of the season. 8th grade football will start practice on the first day of school at 8:30. Be prepared to take the field. 7th graders will have their first practice on the 2nd day of school.
District Health Services- Information from Nurse Boswell
In preparation for a healthy 2017-2018 school year, the Plano ISD health services team would like to provide the following helpful and important information. Our team’s purpose is to support a safe and healthy school environment. School nurses need your assistance as we work together toward this common goal. You can help us by encouraging behaviors we teach at school and by following a few guidelines for keeping your children home when they are not feeling well.
Please review the information:
· Immunizations must be up to date according to the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) guidelines for school entry and attendance: https://tx02215173.schoolwires.net/Page/1695
· Please be advised that students entering grades 7-12 will be required to show proof of one dose of quadrivalent meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV4 or MenACWY) on or after the student’s 11th birthday.
· All medications and medical procedures at school must have completed paper work. Please see our website at: https://tx02215173.schoolwires.net/Page/1698 or contact your school nurse.
· All controlled substances must be brought in by the parent or guardian.
· Please keep your children home for:
o Fever of 100° or more for the duration of the fever plus an additional 24 hours after cessation without fever-reducing medication
o Vomiting or diarrhea for 24 hours after cessation
o Generalized rash
o Oozing wounds that cannot be kept dry and covered
o Red, draining eye
o Untreated live lice
o See the completed list for exclusions: https://tx02215173.schoolwires.net/Page/1751
· Please remind your children of cough and sneeze etiquette:
o Cough or sneeze into a tissue or sleeve and not into hands
o Always wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds
· Please observe the proper hand washing technique: vigorous friction rub for 20 seconds with soap and rinse with water.
· Information regarding West Nile, Zika, and mosquito prevention can be found on our above website.
· State screening mandates are performed for vision, hearing (Kg, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and all new students), Acanthosis Nigricans (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and all new students) and Scoliosis (5th and 8th )
· Growth and development class is taught for girls during 4th grade and boys and girls during 5th grade. A note will be sent home from your school detailing the date and materials to be presented. See your school nurse for details.
· Benadryl and epinephrine are kept in the clinic, to be used by only the school nurse, for undiagnosed episodes of anaphylaxis. Having this medication available for unexpected, severe life-threatening anaphylaxis does not take the place of individual prescribed auto-injectors for diagnosed cases of severe allergy. https://tx02215173.schoolwires.net/Page/1689 Current health information is crucial for proper care. Please notify your school nurse of all health related issues. This can be done via the Parent Portal: https://parentviewer.pisd.edu or by visiting your school nurse.
Please do not hesitate to contact your school nurse or district health services for assistance.
I also encourage you to visit our website at https://tx02215173.schoolwires.net/Page/626
We look forward to working together with you in the 2017-2018 school year. On behalf of our nurses, assistants and the entire team, we hope you have a safe and healthy year!
Megan Schuler RN, BSNPlano ISD Director for District Health
A Message from the PTA
PTA received a limited number of extra school supply kits for all 3 grade levels. Once we are sold out we are sold out. Don’t delay. The store is now open. You may now go to mmspta.org to order.
IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ - Returning Families
If you are a returning MMS family and already have an account on mmspta.org you will login and upon logging you will probably be prompted by a blue box at the top of the page to update your family information. You HAVE to complete this step to see the school supplies ordering link. If you are not prompted by the blue box please select Forms from the list to the left of the page and then select Family Information. When updating or verifying your family information please verify that your students listed grade level is correct, it should now state the grade the student will begin on 8/21. If you had an 8th grader last year they will still be listed as 8th grade, but should be flagged inactive.
IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ – NEW Families
If you are a new family to Murphy Middle School and have never logged on to the MMS PTA website please follow these instructions.
1. Go to www.mmspta.org
2. Click on “Forms” in the list to the left.
3. Create new account if first time user. After create new account go to “Forms” and “Family Information” to add your student, please select the grade level they will begin on 8/21.
IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ – NEW Families that have previously logged into the MMSPTA website
If you are a new MMS family but you logged in and created an account and added your student over the summer PRIOR to 7/31 and added them as the grade level they will start on 8/21 please review your students info very carefully as it is most likely they were rolled to the next grade level with the upgrade.
Please Read – All Families – Completing school supply order
4. Select Forms in the list on the left, Select School Supplies 2017-2018 & complete order – if you are new to MMS and have an incoming 7th or 8th grader you might not know until 8/10 if your student will be in Honors Science. Don’t purchase an Honors Science mini pack unless you know your student was approved by last years teacher for Honors Science.
5. Take this opportunity to join MMS PTA! New this year our Murphy Maverick Students can also join the New Murphy Middle School PTSA.
Proceed to Checkout to complete payment – You must select complete order on the screen that appears AFTER the Paypal payment page.