Fifth Grade PEAK
December 8, 2014
We participated in the Hour of Code for Computer Science Week. Kids can continue learning modules at home - there was great excitement for this. The students chose the level of coding they wanted to learn - elementary, beginning, advanced.
- Students are working hard to finish note taking. Most students are nearing 70 notes completed! I read student notes each week and provide feedback for the kids in Evernote.
- We checked our citations in Easy Bib.
- Students were introduced to "how to write a feature magazine article". We are examining articles to discover characteristics of feature articles, angles, leads, and titles.
- We used a back channel called today's meet.com - ask your child about their experiment with the "back channel" discussion! BRAIN BACK CHANNEL
- We also did a back channel for Feature Magazine Articles: FMA BACK CHANNEL
- Topic Study: We made a bit of an overhaul in Topic Study. Students are conferencing with me individually to select projects based on Bloom's Level of Thinking. We are discussing Bloom's thinking and selecting projects that will help us answer our essential questions. The topic study menu will no longer drive our learning. Students will determine what level of thinking the project represents and then write their own scoring guide (with guidance). Our theme: FREEDOM= CHOICE= RESPONSIBILITY. I saw some amazing thinking and new energy for our independent research topics.
- Math: We continued in our Algebra Lessons. The students can move at their own pace. There is a video tutorial for each lesson.
- Science: No science due to Hour of Code.
- Today students worked on their own Google Site -- we will use it as a portfolio to house PEAK work
- Students participated in an on-line quiz game that tested students' knowledge on the scientific method. The students have learned a lot about science this year!!!!
- We have organized our Google Drives
- Practiced sharing and saving documents
- Bookmarked important websites
- Actively working in Google Classroom
- Set up an account for our note taking research
- Online Graphic Organizer tool to organize headings and subheadings
- Set up a PEAK Powtoons account -- many have completed a vocabulary presentation in topic study via Powtoons.
Classroom Book Source:
- Students learned how to check out books electronically from my classroom library.
- There is a link on my student resource page for students to "Tweet" about the day. We will post 5 tweets a week on my classroom board - some even make it to real twitter.
- Please follow me on twitter - you never know when a tweet will post about your child's PEAK day!
Create a Graph:
- Applied our knowledge on how to make graphs online
- Online note taking application used during Topic Study