Privacy and Security
Protect yourself from scams
Why is privacy important?
Privacy means "the state or condition of being free from being observed or disturbed by other people." Being given the choice to keep certain information private is good because then you have a sense of control over your life. Also, it is important to have privacy because then you won't get your valuable information stolen, for example: Your bank account information. Having this out in the public will result in chaos and money being taken from you.
What is a scam and what does it do to me?
Scams means "A fraudulent scheme performed by a dishonest individual, group, or company in an attempt obtain money or something else of value." Scams can be a simple email telling you to enter your information, might be because the company didn't receive it or you "won" a prize. Of course, they're lying and trying to get your information. They could use it for things such as buying things for themselves.
How can you avoid scams?
How do I make my password "strong"?
- Make your password at least 12 characters long. (You can make it longer, it's better if you do since it gives your account more security.)
- Include different types of symbols. For example: *&^$#!@ or nINJa67#$
- Don't make your password simple and use obvious symbols like b0$$\
- Make a password that you'll remember but make it hard so others can't guess
Here's a video for more tips and tricks!
How to Create a Strong Password
What is a User Agreement?
By definition, it is "In proprietary software, an end-user license agreement (EULA) or software license agreement is the contract between the licencor and purchaser, establishing the purchaser's right to use the software."
What does User Agreement do?
You sign up for your new social media account and the usual "Terms of Agreement" show up. You press "I agree" and not only did you sign up for the media account, but also for some things you didn't know you agreed to. For example, you may have agreed to them being able to use your photos because they OWN them. Or you agreed to them being able to know where you are at any given point. It's once you think about it, so watch out and read up on the app you want to sign up for!
- "Definition of Privacy in English:." Privacy: Definition of Privacy in Oxford Dictionary (American English) (US). N.p., n.d. Web. 05 July 2016.
- "10 Reasons Why Privacy Matters." Linkedin. N.p., 12 Jan. 12. Web. 5 July 2016.
- "What Is Scam? Definition and Meaning." BusinessDictionary.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 July 2016.
- Infographic: How To Pick A Strong Password. Digital image. Skatter. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 July 2016.
- "How to Create a Strong Password (and Remember It)." HowTo Geek RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 July 2016.
- SafetyinCanada. "How to Create a Strong Password." YouTube. YouTube, 03 Feb. 2014. Web. 05 July 2016.
- "End-user License Agreement." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 05 July 2016.
- "6 Terrifying User Agreements You've Probably Accepted." Cracked.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 July 2016.