A CONFERENCE TO BE REMEMBERED
ACURIL 2018 REPUBLICA DOMINICANA
JOIN US IN SANTO DOMINGO, 3-7 JUNE 2018
ACURIL President, Kumaree Ramtahal (2017-2018) and the Local Organizing Committee Coordinators (Eloisa Marrero-Sera, Dulce María Núñez de Taveras, Víctor Belén-Lora and Claranilmia Vargas), representing the Association of Dominican Libraries (ABUD), cordially invite all Librarians, Archivists, Museologists, Educators, Students, Exhibitors,
and other information professionals in the region and globally
to attend the 48th Annual Conference
of the Association of Caribbean University, Research and Institutional Libraries,
to be held at the Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo Hotel.
From 3 to 7 June 2018, KEY PRESENTERS will participate in Plenary sessions, Special Interest Groups, Content Area Roundtables, Research Posters Boulevard, Workshops, and Exhibits at ACURIL 2018 Open Access Conference in Santo Domingo.
ACURIL 2018 RD: A Conference to be Remembered!
Open Access in Caribbean Libraries, Archives and Museums: Opportunities, Challenges and Future Directions
The preliminary programme evidences the interest with the Open Access movement in the region presenting a variety of experiences and examples of work being conducted to support study, research and decision making in all areas of endeavor. The interaction with colleagues will trigger new ideas and collaborative ventures.
Key Presenters Providing Insights for Change
Among special guests speakers providing insights for change will be
- Ms. Loida García-Febo, An International Library Consultant and President of Information New Wave in Brooklyn, New York;President-elect, 2018-2019 of the American Library Association;
- Ms. Ivonne Lujano, Associate Editor/Ambassador, Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) – Latin America;
- Eng. José Armando Tavarez-Rodríguez, President of the Asociación Dominicana de Rectores de UniversidadesADRU (Dominican Association of University Chancellors), 2016-2018; and Chancellor of the Instituto Tecnológico de las Américas (ITLA); and
- Mr. Nicholas L. Cop, Founder and General Manager of COP/Digital Information Solutions, in Mexico City
The Open Access Experience in the Dominican Republic
Colleagues representing the Dominican Republic will participate in a colloquium sharing experiences with the Open Access initiatives in libraries, archives and the government. Participating panelists will be
- Prof. Eloisa Marrero-Sera, of the Universidad Nacional Pedro Henriquez-Ureña (UNPHU);
- Dr. Dulce María Núñez de Taveras, of the Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM);
- Srta. Izaskun Herrojo-Salas , of the Archivo General de la Nación), and
- Dr. Eleuterio Ferreira-Calderón, of the Instituto Nacional de Formación y Capacitación del Magisterio (INAFOCAM).
A Solidarity Afternoon
A special Solidarity Afternoon will be devoted to the presentation of the devastating experiences with Maria, in St.Maarten and Puerto Rico. Colleagues Mrs. Monique Alberts, Director of the Philipsburgh Jubilee Library at St. Maarten, and Prof. Hilda Teresa Ayala, at the General Library, University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus, will present an overview of the aftermath.
Concurrent Workshops will be provided to update knowledge, develop new skills, and share experiences.
Among the key presentations are the ones by Lbn. Danielle Fraser, Library Conservator, at the National Library of Information System Authority in Trinidad and Tobago, with Disaster Preparedness Strategies for Assessing Planning and Protecting Cultural Collection; Dr. Laurie Nancy Francisca Taylor, Digital Scholarship Librarian, University of Florida,
with Digital Humanities Tools for Disaster Response: Hosting Mapathons and Telling Our Stories; and Lbn. Eduardo Emilio Quintero-Orta, with The World Bank Group Open Access Resources: Tips & Tricks from a Librarian.
You are invited to Register!
Registration is Now Open for the Conference and lodgings at the Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo Hotel. Take advantage of the special rates available. Three payment options are presented: bank transfer, credit cards through PayPal and International postal service delivery, all in USD. These rates include attendance to plenary sessions, workshops, seminars, special interest groups, Content Area Roundtables, documents; visits; certificates; coffee breaks; banquet; and cultural activities organized by ACURIL 2018 República Dominicana.
For additional information, kindly visit the Fequent Asked Questions section: https://acuril2018republicadominicana.com/faq/
ACURIL 2018 República Dominicana will be a Conference to be Remembered.