Updates from the Sciences at Loyola University Maryland
October 2021 | Issue 36
We have reached the midpoint of a busy fall semester and midterms are already here. Best of wishes to our students with studies and exams. This issue includes a few highlights and upcoming opportunities for NAS community members.
Share your news, photos, inspiring stories, and events for a future issue. Please send any feature suggestions to Jen Sullivan at email@example.com.
HIGHLIGHTS & GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
Physics alumna and Ignatius Scholar serves others through peer mentorship
Each year, the Natural and Applied Sciences academic division awards the Choudhury Sarkar-Dey medal to an outstanding graduating senior who has shown remarkable commitment to diversity and community service during their time at Loyola. We are proud to share with you the reflections submitted by the 2021 finalists, nominated by their faculty and departments, in a series of posts on the Art of STEM blog.
Meet Kenneth Marcelino, '21, a 2021 Choudhury Sarkar-Dey medal finalist, Physics alumna, and Ignatius Scholar serving others through peer mentorship.
Welcome new NAS staff
NAS Steering Board Meeting Recap
The board is comprised of distinguished alumni and industrial partners who contribute expertise and guidance on divisional program development and opportunities aligning with Loyola's mission and values.
2021 CPaMS Scholars
The CPaMS Scholars Program provides scholarships of up to $10,000 annually for academically talented students who demonstrate financial need to study computer science, physics, mathematics, statistics, or data science at Loyola University Maryland. The program continues to thrive in 2021 with 13 first-year students & 5 second-year students for a total of 52 students currently participating in the program.
The first-year cohort is evenly split between students intending math and students intending computer science as their majors. Half are ALANA, three are first-generation students, and four are women. CPaMS scholars are pictured below.
Robotics Club in Action
Loyola Sciences in the News
- A ‘Twindemic’ Of Flu & COVID-19 Can Be Dulled With Vaccines, Expert Says featuring Christopher Thompson, Ph.D., associate professor of biology and immunologist (WJZ)
- Increase in RSV cases poses threat to younger Americans featuring Christopher Thompson, Ph.D., associate professor of biology and immunologist (Fox45)
STUDENT & FACULTY OPPORTUNITIES
Upcoming Campus Events
This semester's pop-up classes will take place virtually and in-person beginning November 1, and promise a wide variety of new skills and knowledge! If you have any questions, ideas for potential pop-up classes, or would like to teach a future class, contact Matthew Treskon at firstname.lastname@example.org. Stay tuned for updates as the fall schedule is finalized with some additional offerings!
- Nov. 1 - Basics of Amazon Cloud (AWS) and Simple Artificial Intelligence Widgets
- Nov. 4 - Tinker with Adafruit Circuit Playground Express
- Nov. 8 - Introduction to Sew ART
- Nov. 10 - Recycled Paper Making
- Nov. 11 - History of Video Games
- Nov. 18 - Creating Digital Maps in ArcGIS
- Dec. 2 - ArcGIS StoryMaps
Visit www.loyola.edu/pop-up for complete details and registration links.
Career Center Opportunities
- For ALANA Students - The Career Services Sponsorship Program matches an ALANA Loyola student or a student who identifies as underrepresented with a Loyola alumni for a semester-long opportunity of enriching career guidance, professional development, and network building! ALL MAJORS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. Visit Handshake for more information and/or attend our Career Services Sponsorship Program Lunch & Learn on October 19.
- For CS Students - Google presents: Building a Technical Career on Monday, October 18.
To register for these and other career-focused events and opportunities, visit Handshake.
Visit The Bridge for upcoming campus meetings and events.
Training & Development Sponsored by Human Resources
- 10/28, 11:00am-12:00pm., Creating a Resilient Mindset - Webinar Registration Link
- On-demand beginning 10/19, Monthly Online EAP Webinar: Embracing Diversity and Differences
Go to https://www.loyola.edu/department/hr/development/training for more information.
Did you have an internship this summer? Tell us about it!
Did you or someone you know take part in an internship this summer? Tell the Career Center about your experience and get a chance to be featured on their social media accounts! Email the Rizzo Career Center's Social Media Creative Assistant, Julia Koller, @ email@example.com for more information.
Fall Semester Resources
- Loyola Coronavirus Updates - General university information for all students, faculty, staff including the fall 2021 COVID operations plan, COVID-19 dashboard, FAQs, policies, and resources.
Student Support Resources
Employee Support Resources