November 14, 2021
Welcome to the Panda News!
Friday ended Cycle 2 and we are finishing up the first semester with Cycle 3 beginning today. Teachers will have Cycle 2 grades posted by Wednesday, and report cards will be sent home, via your student, on Friday.
Thanksgiving break is only one week away. The school will be closed during Thanksgiving break (November 22-26) and school will resume on Monday, November 29.
Have a great week Pandas!
Steven Shetzer, Principal
Week @ A Glance
- A & B Lunch Switch (8th grade will go to A lunch and 6th will go to B lunch. This is due to a play that the 8th graders will be watching)
- SDMC Meeting @ 4:15 p.m.
- PTO Meeting @ 6:30 p.m. (Cafeteria)
- Parent University
- Report Cards distributed during 8th period
- Thanksgiving Break
Pershing Student Spotlight
Important Forms Due
- Ren360 letter - signature needed
- Student Assistance Questionnaire
- Migrant Information
We need these forms completed and returned by Friday, November 19. You can complete the Student Assistance Questionnaire and Migrant Information online. All forms must be returned to your child's Homeroom teacher. Thank you!
Get Your Yearbook!
HISD Parent University -Preparing for College and Career Success
- Where can I find contact information for my child's teacher? Our website directory is an excellent place to find our faculty and staff email addresses.
- How can I monitor my child's grades? HISD Connect Parent Portal is the spot! Click here for information on setting up an HISD Connect Parent Portal account.
- I have a question, but I'm not sure who to reach out to for an answer. If you have a question, you can reach out to your child's Homeroom teacher, Counselor, or Assistant Principal for assistance.
- I need to schedule a meeting with a teacher, what do I do? Please email the teacher(s) you wish to meet with and allow them 24 hours to respond. Teachers are provided with a planning period each day, so they will send you those times to schedule a meeting. You can also call the main office at 713-295-5240 and leave a message for the teacher.
- I feel disconnected now that my child is in middle school. How can I get involved? This is easy. Join the PTO and attend the regularly scheduled meetings. We also recommend you attend the sporting events, fine arts performances, and PTO events throughout the year.
Student Information Verification
- What Makes a Friend
- I've Got Your Back
- Talk It Out
- Battle the Bullies
The lessons take 40-50 minutes each and include a mini-lesson, to be delivered by the Counselors via MS TEAMS, and then an activity that teachers will facilitate.
This week's lesson is "Talk It Out" We encourage you to speak with your child about this lesson when they get home on Wednesday night.
Steven Shetzer, Principal
Carrie Curtis, 6th Grade Assistant Principal
Maria Jackson, 6th/7th Grade Assistant Principal
Tyesha Beller, 7th Grade Assistant Principal
Alberto Fernandez, 8th Grade Assistant Principal
Amy Ford, 8th Grade Assistant Principal
Grisury Candelaria, Magnet Coordinator
Campus Support Team
Sherman Parker, 6th Grade Counselor
Enitsha Allen-Cooper, 7th Grade Counselor
Sara Graur, 8th Grade Counselor
Alesha Rushing, Wraparound Specialist
Jolynn Vallejo, CIS Social Worker