Antisocial Personality Disorder
Sydney Pierce, Health-5, due 10/14/16
Don't be insane, let a psychiatrist check your brain.
There is no known specific cause of ASPD but it is believed to be caused by genetic and/or environmental factors. Environmental factors may include things such as addiction to drugs and/or alcohol by parents, sexual abuse, or physical abuse.
ASPD is more commonly found in men. It is diagnosed at around 18 years of age and persists into adulthood.
While there are no medications to treat ASPD itself, they can be given to treat symptoms.
- fluoxetine (Prozac) and sertraline (Zoloft)- decrease aggressiveness and irritability if anxiety or depression are present
- nortripyline- help reduce misuse of alcohol
- phenytoin- reduce intensity of impulsive aggressive acts
SMU Center for Family Counseling
- 5228 Tennyson Park Pkwy #103, Plano 75024
Galaxy Counseling Center
- 1025 South Jupiter Rd, Garland 75041
People who have ASPD tend to be considered outgoing, funny, and charming by people that know them.About 7.6 million people in the United States have ASPD. 25% of people diagnosed with ASPD have psychopathic tendencies. 90% of people diagnosed with ASPD are addicted to drugs and/or alcohol. Children diagnosed with ADD or ADHD before the age of 10 have a greater chance of developing ASPD.