News from the Nest
September 6, 2019
The Week Ahead
-- Book Fair - Monday 9/9 - Thursday 9/12 (and open during Back to School Night!)
Monday 9/9 (Day 4)
Tuesday 9/10 (Day 1)
Wednesday 9/11 (Day 2)
-- STARS Lunch, 11:45 am
Thursday 9/12 (Day 3)
- ESL Parent Orientation, 6-6:30 pm
- Back to School Night
- Session 1: 6:30-7:10 pm
- Session 2: 7:20-8:00 pm
Friday 9/13 (Day 4)
BACK TO SCHOOL BASH!
Vernfield's Annual Back to School Bash is TONIGHT! Friday, September 6th from 5:30-7:30PM (rain date September 13th) on the blacktop behind the school.
If you'd like to attend and haven't signed up, you can still come! Cost will be $15/family at the door.
There will be some limited Vernfield swag (including socks!) available for purchase at the Spirit Wear table.
Also, don't forget to bring your used sneakers and athletic cleats! For each pair that you donate, you will receive 1 ticket for our prize drawing. Multiple prizes will be awarded including: Rebecca Minkoff backpack, Lego set, mini pocket drone and more!
See you there!
If you have any questions, please email Meg Dick at email@example.com
Book Fair - More Help Needed!
Mrs. Lightstone is still looking for parent volunteers who have their clearances to assist at the Fall book fair, which runs through Sept. 12th.
As a volunteer, you will assist children with finding books, managing their budgets, or operating the register. Partial shifts are welcome. Please consider signing up for a few time slots to support this exciting event!
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Lightstone, firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0a4faaae22a1ff2-fall2 (NOTE: The sign up shows which classes will attend the book fair during which volunteer shifts.)
Back to School Night
Please attend either or both sessions on THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 12:
- 6:30 - 7:10 pm - Session 1
- 7:20 - 8:00 pm - Session 2
**To ease parking congestion, we ask any parents attending the first session only to please leave promptly at 7:10 pm.**
We look forward to seeing you on the evening of September 12!
Spirit Wear Sale
Visit the online store: https://vernfieldspiritwearfall2019.itemorder.com/sale
Any questions, please contact Betsy Powlus at email@example.com.
Another School Year, Another Year to Collect those Box Tops!
Last year, Vernfield Home & School made $1172 from the clipped Box Tops that appear on many commonly used items! The collection boxes are now in each grade pod so if you were saving up over the summer, it's time to send them in with your child. Take the time to clip that dime!
Some of you may have seen that Box Tops are going digital! We will start to see less and less products with physical clips to cut. Instead there is a Box Tops app that you can download and use to scan your receipt each time you purchase those same products that have the Box Tops logo on it.
Stay tuned for box top contest details!
If you haven’t done so already, you can also volunteer to help do the collecting, cutting, and counting. “Box Tops” is one of the many ways that you can volunteer at Vernfield and is included on the Hands Across the District form where you can sign up for many different types of jobs.
If you have any questions contact Brooke Kuhlen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Vernfield Printed Directory - Deadline 9/27
Vernfield Home & School Association publishes a PRINTED school directory for each new school year which includes class lists and student contact information. The directory will ONLY be distributed to those families who complete the form requesting inclusion.
Please complete the online form by FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 2019. Only one form per family is required.
In Case You Missed It...
HANDS ACROSS THE DISTRICT - VOLUNTEERING:
Each year, Home & School provides a sign up that lists all of the known volunteer opportunities that will come up throughout the school year. Whatever you sign up for here just puts you on the email list for more information! ***IMPORTANT: Homeroom parent/holiday social volunteers are included (and will be ONLY) on this form***. Deadline to complete is 9/16. Questions to Suzanne Kolesar: email@example.com.
Online Volunteer Form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Y7B9KRF
ALL VOLUNTEERS need to fill out the Registration and Disclosure Statement EACH YEAR. There are two categories of volunteers:
- Casual Volunteers (less than 10 hours per school year and works in the presence of a teacher/administrator with students).
- Program Volunteers (10 or more hours and may have unsupervised contact with students). This includes field trip chaperones.
Details regarding what forms must be filled out can be found on the SASD Volunteer website. NOTE: PPD skin test for tuberculosis can be done privately or through the school nurse by making an appointment on 10/14, 10/15, or 10/16. Please note, Program Volunteers are required to renew these clearances every 60 months. If you would like to check your clearance status or have any questions, please contact the Vernfield main office, 215-721-0606.
ATHLETIC SHOE DRIVE:
The HSA has partnered with Got Sneakers for an Athletic Shoe Drive to raise funds and to help keep the shoes out of landfills. New or used sneakers in wearable condition will earn more for us but we will be accepting sneakers and cleats in any condition. Sneakers with rips, holes, separated soles will be recycled. Shoe donations will be accepted until the Thanksgiving break.
If you have any questions, please contact Lisa Hovind at firstname.lastname@example.org
ONLINE VERNFIELD CALENDAR:
Stay up-to-date throughout the year by subscribing to the shared Vernfield 2019-2020 Calendar (maintained by HSA volunteers). If the link does not open your calendar app automatically, look up how to add a 'subscribed calendar' (iCal format) for your calendar app. Questions to Kelly Cole email@example.com.
PRINTABLE AT-A-GLANCE CALENDAR:
A handy calendar has been created to keep on your refrigerator with all of the important days off and events for the upcoming 2019-2020 school year. Click on the file below to download and print!
Easy Ways to Help Fundraise!
Please consider helping to raise funds for Home & School using the following:
- Giant A+ Rewards: earn money for VF while shopping at Giant! Go to https://giantfoodstores.com/ and Sign In or Register for an account (upper right corner). Click on My Account (upper right) and then Manage Your Account. Click on Rewards & Savings. Under A+ School Rewards, click Change School(s). The ID for Vernfield is 23581.
- Amazon Smile: earn money for VF while shopping on Amazon! Go to smile.amazon.com/about for instructions.
- Box Tops for Education: clip the 'Box Tops for Education' from participating boxes and labels! Send them to school with your child to be collected and counted. There is a contest among grades each year and the winning grade earns a prize! Go to www.boxtopsforeducation.com/earn for a complete list of participating products as well as information on the Box Tops Bonus app and Sweepstakes which can earn Vernfield even more!
- Box Tops Bonus App: Download the Box Tops Bonus App for your phone or tablet! Find offers, buy products, scan your receipt and earn even MORE box tops for Vernfield!
- ShopRite for My School: earn Box Tops for VF while shopping at ShopRite! Register your PricePlus club card at: https://www.shopriteformyschool.com/en/Register-my-Card.
- Coca Cola Give: Sign up at https://us.coca-cola.com/give/schools/ then just scan your product or enter your product code and watch the funds grow
Thanks to the families who participated in these programs during the 2018-2019 school year! We earned:
- Giant A+ Rewards: $1410
- Amazon Smile: $209
- Box Tops: $1172
Save the Date!
**Week of 9/16**
-- Home & School Welcome Back Social for Parents, 6:30-7:00 pm. Library.
-- Home & School Meeting, 7-8 pm. Library
-- DEADLINE to fill out Hands Across the District form (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Y7B9KRF)
-- Fall Picture Day
-- Fall Spirit Wear Sale Deadline
**Week of 9/23**
-- Spirit's Vernfield Safety Week
-- HSA Committee Chair Meeting, 7-7:30 pm. Library.
-- HSA Homeroom Parent/Coordinator Meeting, 7:30-8 pm. Library.
SPANISH CLUB - will begin on Monday, October 7! Instructional Cost for the entire 24 week program (includes a snack and a drink that will be provided for each child every class):
- BEGINNER-(30 minute class) $200 /child or $180/child (for the 2 nd or more sibling)
- ADVANCED-(45 minute class) $225/child or $205/child ( for the 2 nd or more sibling)
2019 FALL SACE EVENING CLASSES - Registration is open for the Fall semester. More than 100 classes, trips and activities for all ages. Join us and bring a friend to try something new this Fall!
BROCHURE | REGISTER