Elizabethtown Area Senior Center
December Delights: Embracing your inner Child at the Senior Center Wonderland!
As the holiday season approaches, we are thrilled to usher in the festive spirit at the Elizabethtown Area Senior Center. This December, we are embracing the magic of the season by reconnecting with our inner child. Get ready for a month filled with joy, laughter, and a sprinkle of holiday magic!
Our calendar is brimming with delightful activities that will transport you back to the enchantment of childhood. From classic Christmas games that will warm your heart to a delightful cookie exchange that promises to satisfy your sweet tooth, we've curated a lineup that captures the essence of the season.
The senior center itself will transform into a winter wonderland as we come together to deck the halls and infuse the space with the festive spirit. This is not just a decoration project; it's a collective effort to create an atmosphere that radiates warmth and holiday cheer.
Throughout the month, we will delve into the rich tapestry of December holidays, sharing stories and traditions that make this time of year so special. Join us for heartwarming discussions that celebrate the diversity of our community.
One of the highlights of our December calendar is the opportunity to pen heartfelt Christmas letters. This is a chance to spread love and good wishes, connecting generations through the written word. Your letters will serve as timeless treasures, bridging the gap between the past and the present.
And what better way to round off the festivities than with a cozy PJs and Pancake Brunch? Don your favorite pajamas, savor delicious pancakes, and bask in the camaraderie of your fellow members. It's a morning designed for comfort and connection.
As the month draws to a close, we invite you to join us in bidding farewell to the old and ringing in the new with a special New Year's Celebration on December 27th. Let's come together to reflect on the memories we've created and welcome the possibilities that the coming year holds.
Wishing you all a December filled with the magic of the season and the warmth of cherished company. Here's to creating unforgettable memories.
Join Us In December
- December 4- Making Christmas Cards: We will be folding, gluing, and stamping Christmas cards. There will be two differ styles to make. All the cards will make you will be able to take home that day.
- December 5- Decorating the Senior Center: Transforming our Senior Center into a winter wonderland, the joyous collaboration of our members brings warmth and festive cheer to every corner. Join us in creating magical memories together!
- December 7- National Letter Writing Day: We will bridge generations through heartfelt words, fostering connections. Join us in writing letters to shut-in seniors, spreading love and warmth throughout our community.
- December 8 -Food Prep Basics: We will be discussing the 4 simple steps to keeping your food safe.
- December 12 - Christmas Ceramics: Unleash your creativity in our Christmas Ceramic Painting activity! Join us as we transform blank canvases into festive masterpieces, spreading holiday cheer through artistry and joy.
- December 13 - December Holidays: Explore the rich tapestry of December holidays with us! Join engaging discussions and discover the diverse traditions that make this season truly special.
- December 18: Cookie Exchange and Nutrition: Savor the sweetness of the season in our Cookie Exchange! Bring six or more delightful treats to swap and indulge. Plus, delve into Christmas nutrition tips for a healthy and joyful holiday.
- December 19 -Reading with Preschool and Christmas Left, Right Game: Embark on a heartwarming journey with our intergenerational reading session, where seniors and preschoolers share the magic of Christmas stories. Then, join the laughter with a festive Left-Right game, spreading joy through storytelling and play.
- December 21- Christmas Mystery Reading: Join us for a riveting Christmas Mystery reading of 'There Might Be No Christmas.' Unravel the suspense, share laughs, and embrace the holiday spirit in this delightful literary adventure together.
- December 22- Christmas Carols and PJs and Pancake Brunch: Harmony and joy unite in our festive celebration! Sing along to timeless Christmas Carols, be enchanted by our lively Boom Whacker Choir, and savor a cozy PJ and Pancake Brunch with pancakes, eggs, and sausage. Let the holiday melodies and flavors fill your heart!
- December 27-New Year's Celebration with Mathew Dodd: Count down to New Year's with Songs and Stories by Mathew Dodd. Join the celebration as we usher in the year with music and tales of inspiration.
- December 13- Chair Exercise with Judy: Please note the date change for this month.
Mark these dates on your calendar and be part of the December festivities.
Fun Little Elves Abound! 🎄🎅
'Tis the season for a touch of whimsy and fun at the Senior Center! Our mischievous elves have taken residence, and each day, they play hide-and-seek throughout the center. Keep your eyes peeled for these little rascals, as spotting them will earn you a special ticket. The more elves you discover, the merrier your holiday surprises will be! It's a delightful game that adds an extra dash of joy to our festive month.
Countdown to Christmas Raffles! 🎁🌟
As if the elf hunt weren't exciting enough, we're doubling the holiday cheer with our 40 Christmas Raffles! For every morning you venture to the center, finding the elves will not only bring a smile to your face but also grant you three raffle tickets. Brace yourself for a chance to win fantastic prizes, ranging from lottery tickets to luxurious personal care sets and delectable cookie trays. Let the anticipation build as we draw winners throughout the month, making your December extra merry and bright!
This December, our Craft Club is diving into the festive spirit with a delightful project – wreath making! Join us for a creative and merry afternoon, as skilled hands and imaginative minds come together to craft beautiful wreaths that will adorn our Senior Center. Guided by seasoned crafters, the club will transform simple materials into charming and personalized wreaths, adding a touch of holiday magic to our shared space. It's not just about crafting; it's about the joy of creation, camaraderie, and spreading the warmth of the season through handmade decorations. Let's weave together memories and wreaths in this festive celebration of creativity and community.
- Date: December 20
- Time: 1:30 pm
- Materials: All crafting materials will be provided, including a variety of ornaments
As we reflect on the past month, we are overwhelmed with gratitude for the incredible support we received from our cherished community. Your generosity and enthusiasm have made a significant impact on the Elizabethtown Area Senior Center, and we want to extend our heartfelt thanks for three remarkable achievements:
1. Bazaar and Pancake Breakfast Success: A resounding "Thank You" to the more than 20 seniors who dedicated their time and effort to set up and work tirelessly during our Bazaar and Pancake Breakfast. Your hard work transformed our center into a lively hub of activity, and the result was not just a delightful event but also a substantial profit of around $1,500! Your dedication is the heartbeat of our community, and we are truly grateful for your unwavering support.
2. Generosity Overflowing: Our gratitude extends to each senior who generously donated items, making it possible for us to assemble 70 to-go lunch bags for ECHOS (Elizabethtown Community Housing & Outreach Services). Your contributions have a direct and positive impact on the lives of those in need. Your kindness and compassion shine brightly, and we thank you for being the driving force behind this meaningful initiative.
3. ExtraGive Triumph: A round of applause for everyone who participated in the ExtraGive on Friday, November 17th! Together, we rallied and raised an additional $500 during this community-wide giving event. Your collective efforts showcase the power of unity and the strength of our community when we come together for a common cause. Thank you for making a difference through your generosity and commitment.
Our community's spirit of giving and involvement is truly inspiring. Your support enables us to continue our mission of providing a vibrant and enriching environment for our seniors.
In the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, we find ourselves with a calendar filled to the brim with festive activities. As a result, we regret to inform you that the December Lunch-in has been canceled.
Fear not, though, as we have an exciting plan in store for January! We invite you to mark your calendars for our upcoming Lunch-in at Beanie's on January, 24. It promises to be a delightful start to the new year, filled with good food and great company.
During 2023, we will have a monthly meeting of our Advisory Council. This month we had 6 representatives attend our meeting. We have 3 open seats.
This month the following things were discussed:
- December Caelndar
-Bazaar and Pancake Breakfast fundraising totals
- New Year's Goals
- Holiday Parade
If you have any suggestions for the current year or next year please seek out a council member, Jess, Wayne or Julissa. The current members of advisory council are:
· Lee Salter
· Ann Salter
· Dianna Pirkle
· Vaughn Jennings
· Donald Mowbray
· Sandy Long
· Lois Lynn
· Mary Keener
· Judy Alwine
Join Us For Afternoon Bingo!
Afternoon Bingo will be held December 6. Doors open at 1:20 pm, bingo starts at 1:45 pm. We will play 2 hours of bingo, with a 15 minute intermission in the middle. Cost to play is $10. Light refreshments will be provided. Prizes include snack items, nuts, fresh fruits and veggies, and puzzle books.
Do not miss the fun!
Phone: (717) 367-7984
Connect with us on Facebook: Search 'Elizabethtown Area Senior Center'
Jess Raush, Director
Wayne Bream, Assistant
Julissa Rivera-Santa, Assistant
This program is funded, in part, under an Agreement with money allocated by the PA Dept. of Aging and the Lancaster Co. Office Of Aging. A community service of GEARS.