BURLESON ELEMENTARY NEWS
MARCH 25, 2021
A NOTE FROM MRS. COFFMAN
We are currently in the process of MAP testing all students. The fourth grade students take the writing STAAR test on April 6th, and then grades 3-5 will take benchmark tests the rest of that week to monitor student progress and growth. We will be STAAR testing in grades 3-5 May 11-13th.
Please make sure your child is reading every night. The more they read, the more their vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension grows. Reading is so valuable and carries over to all other subjects in school. Reading also directly influences student's writing and language skills as well. "Not all readers are leaders. But all leaders are readers." - Harry Truman
- Please make sure that if your child/children arrive to school after 7:45, you must come in and sign your child in.
- Please make sure your child is bringing a water bottle everyday to school.
¡Esperamos que hayan tenido unas maravillosas vacaciones de primavera! ¡Estamos muy emocionados de regresar de las vacaciones de primavera con nuestros increíbles estudiantes en las aulas! ¡Esperamos ver un tremendo crecimiento desde ahora hasta el final del año y tenemos un último trimestre muy ocupado por delante!
Actualmente estamos en el proceso de evaluar MAP a todos los estudiantes. Los estudiantes de cuarto grado toman la prueba STAAR de escritura el 6 de abril, y luego los grados 3-5 tomarán pruebas de referencia el resto de esa semana para monitorear el progreso y crecimiento de los estudiantes. Haremos pruebas STAAR en los grados 3-5 del 11 al 13 de mayo.
Por favor asegúrese de que su hijo lea todas las noches. Cuanto más leen, más crece su vocabulario, fluidez y comprensión. La lectura es muy valiosa y se traslada a todas las demás materias de la escuela. La lectura también influye directamente en la escritura y las habilidades lingüísticas del estudiante. "No todos los lectores son líderes. Pero todos los líderes son lectores". - Harry Truman
- Por favor asegúrese de que si su hijo (a) llega a la escuela después de las 7:45, debe entrar y registrar la entrada de su hijo.
- Por favor asegúrese de que su hijo traiga una botella de agua todos los días a la escuela.
- Practice letter and sound recognition. Letter for this week is Rr.
- Focus on number recognition up to number 14.
- Please have students practice writing their name at home.
- Please write down words read on reading log.
- Attendance is important! Every day is a learning experience.
- Library books are due back on Tuesday. Lots of students are not bringing their books.
I hope everyone had a great spring break! Only 9 weeks of school left!
- Keep reading at home every night! Read together and have them read independently 🙂
- Our first spelling list goes home today. Test will be the following Thursday, April 1st.
- New sight words will go home Monday.
- We are practicing counting by 2's, identifying coins, and adding their amounts together.
- No school April 2nd.
The last portion of the year is very important, daily attendance is imperative! Please contact me and the office if your child will be absent.
· Sight word test tomorrow over the 10 pink words.
· Spelling test will be Tuesday.
· Test over -0 tomorrow.
· READ, READ, READ and be ready to AR test every day.
· It’s warming up, make sure your child brings a water bottle to school every day.
* We will continue to work on subtraction math facts through -12s and then review until the end of the year. We will test over -7 on this Friday and -8s next week.
* Be sure to look over and work with your second grader on their Saxon work each night. As we get closer to the end of the year, the words and concepts will be getting much more difficult so practice at home will be needed for most students. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
* Continue to READ, READ, READ and take AR tests!!!
* Be sure you are reading for at least 20 minutes every night and that you are filling out the Home Reading Log. The Reading Logs are due every Friday morning.
* Please remember to send a water bottle with your child/children each and every day. They get thirsty and the water fountains are closed.
In math we are learning about how to tell time.
In science we are learning about the planets and the relationship that the sun, moon, and Earth have.
Math fact homework is due on Fridays.
Math fact test is on Friday.
Please bring a water bottle everyday.
We are preparing for the STAAR test, please make sure your child is here everyday so that they are well prepared to take the test (May 11 and 12).
-This week in reading we are looking at argumentative texts and discussing the author’s purpose for this genre.
-In social studies we are studying how historical figures shape the culture of communities.
-Please make sure your child is reading each night for 20 minutes
-We are MAP testing this week and will share updated scores soon
· Spring Break has come and gone, Easter is almost here and so is STAAR testing - Yikes! April 6th is the Writing STAAR test for 4th grade, followed by Reading and Math practice STAAR tests. This is a very important time of the year for 4th graders. Students typically start to get excited as the year comes to an end, but it is crucial that they still get plenty of rest and are in class on time every day. Let's all pull together to get through the writing STAAR test with great results for our students. They have worked hard during a tough year and their success is our goal!
· As always… Read, Read, Read! – Reading is a homework assignment! All students are required to read for at least 20 minutes every evening. Please make sure you monitor what your child is reading and initial your child’s Reading Log every evening after they have read.
· In Social Studies we are continuing to learn about the early years of Texas as a new state.
Please message me on Dojo with any questions or concerns.
In Math we are solving multi-step problems involving multiplication and division. This is an area where we really need LOTS of work!
*Please make sure your child knows their basic multiplication facts.
We will have random multiplication fact tests.
*In Science we are having fun learning about the water cycle. We will try to create our own water cycle in a cup! We are also entering a calendar contest showing how water is important. Cash prizes will be awarded at the end of school awards program for the top three places. We will also begin studying the patterns on Earth.
*Please make sure that your child is doing their 20-minute reading EVERY night. This will boost their vocabulary and make them an all around better student.
*Please send a water bottle and clean mask EVERYDAY!
Thank you for all you do to ensure that your child gives their best everyday!Mrs. Bell
We finished MAP testing today and I am very impressed with their growth over the school year! These scores will be going home soon.
Please be sure students are bringing water bottles daily.
STAAR is coming fast, it is important that your child is at school daily.
READ READ READ!!!!!!!!! The more they read, the more they grow!!!!!
-Please have your child practice math facts every night. We are still taking weekly math fact quizzes.
-Please make sure your child comes to class every day. There are still some TEKs we need to cover, and we will soon be working on our STAAR review.
COMING UP - OUR PRE-K ROUND-UP
WEDNESDAY SNACK SHACK
Prices will range from $2.00 - $4.00.
MEADOW PTO SNACK CART ON FRIDAY'S
MARCH LUNCH MENU
Your child's name will be displayed on the day of their birthday. If their special day falls on a weekend their shout out will be displayed on the Friday before. This is open to ALL Meadow students and staff.