January 16, 2018
I hope you had a wonderful weekend. I know that I did. It was great to spend some extra time with my family and friends.
As great as the opportunity for spending time with loved ones was, it was also an opportunity to spend time reflecting on Martin Luther King Jr. Day and on his legacy of fighting for equality and for serving others.
Two of my favorite quotes are the following:
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is what are you doing for others?" and “The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.”
I guess what resonates with me and reminds me of what is great about education is that it is an opportunity to serve others and to help young people to help create a better future for themselves and for the society in which they live. That is also what is great about you. You have the ability to shape our world and our community through your work.
Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!
- Congratulations to Dawn Hahn, FHN 2018 Teacher of the Year.
- Congratulations to Stan Robinson, FHN 2018 Support Staff of the Year.
- Congratulations to Dan Lamb; he received the Awesome Street Award at our faculty meeting.
- Congratulations to these fall Activities for having a team GPA of 3.0 or higher! V @FhnCheerleading 3.67 B CC @RunningKnights 3.68 G CC @RunningKnights 3.77 G @FhnVGirlsGolf 3.79 Band @fhnbandboosters 3.88 JV @FHNknightline 3.44 V @FHNknightline 4.03 C @howellnorthsoc 3.32 JV @howellnorthsoc 3.35 V @howellnorthsoc 3.46 C @fhnorthsoftball 3.71 JV @fhnorthsoftball 3.4 V @fhnorthsoftball 3.24 @FHNspebate 4.52 C @FHNvolleyball 3.95 JV @FHNvolleyball 3.37 V @FHNvolleyball 4.22 That is awesome!
- Congratulations to Aaron Manfull on being recognized by @Mediashift as one of the most influential people in journalism education.http://mediashift.org/2018/01/edshift20-honoring-innovative-journalism-educators-2017/
- Congratulations to Mr. Lamb, Ms. Lorraine Smith, and the 10 students who took part in the IDEA Summit. They joined FHHS and FHC to take part in learning about Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Advocay..
- Francis Howell School District named to AP District Honor Roll. Congratulations to everyone at FHN who has helped to contribute. https://midriversnewsmagazine.com/2018/01/11/69847/francis-howell-school-district-named-to-ap-district-honor-roll
Reminder to recommend students for AP Foundations:
When kids are signing up for Pre-AP and AP classes, if you think there are students who could benefit from taking Foundations of AP, please give us that information on this google form, so we can touch base with them and try to get them enrolled.
This is the link to use to recommend students:
Create a new survey on your own or with others at the same time. Choose from a variety of survey types and analyze results in Google Forms. Free from Google.
Thanks so much! Happy Friday!
Thank you all for your help making our home room activities and assemblies a success. Feedback so far has been positive. It was good to start the semester with the clarification of expectations we discussed as part of our Climate Action Plan. Administrators will continue to use their self check list as they complete discipline in order to ensure consistency and communication.
The next Climate Committee meeting will be held on January 23.We will be discussing second semester plans for both staff and student climate. Please join us in the Main Office at 2:30 if you would like to be a part of developing these plans.
FHN currently has 84.1% of students attending 90% of the time. The next Attendance Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday Jan 18th at 2:30. The Committee will look at the data for students who missed multiple days the first 10 days of second semester. As part of our action steps we will then schedule home visits where appropriate. The committee will also get a status report on a new list of students the Guidance Office will support through a small group intervention. Finally, the committee will continue to seek new ways to get teachers and other staff involved as Attendance Allies.
A NOTE ABOUT BOOKING DEVICES AND INSTRUCTION
3rd quarter is the busiest time of year for booking devices and instruction with Angie and Tara in the LC. In addition, it’s cold and flu season, snow days can become a rescheduling challenges, and testing season is imminent.
School libraries differ from public libraries, in that Angie and Tara have instructional duties: teaching research, promoting reading, planning Coffeehouse and other events, and lots of other things. They may not be able to stop what they’re doing in the moment to book something for you, but they are always willing to help you if you send an email. Please send an Outlook email to both Angie and Tara at least one school day or more in advance to book your classes.
To make booking requests even easier, you can view the Outlook calendars by putting in a technology work order. Here is the LC Cheat Sheet if you’d like to put it up on your bulletin board.
The Behavior Team will meet on 1/16after school in Room 5/8.
The Technology Committee will meet on 1/17 after school in Room 105.
The next Homeroom Committee meeting will be 1/24 after school in the Main Office Conference Room.
Could you please add “Teacher to Teacher Walkthrough Meeting” to your Knight Notes for next week? It is next Thurs., 1/18 from 2:30-3:30pm in the LC.
2016-2017 Staff Commitments to the Learning Environment
In order to improve the climate/environment at FHN, the staff commits to:
1. building positive relationships with students and staff members.
2. helping students to see the relationship between effort and success.
3. addressing any inappropriate behavior immediately to help set an expectation of appropriate hallway and classroom behavior.
4. giving clear and consistent expectations for device use and by enforcing them.
5. counting tardies consistently.