CGE Family News
February 9, 2024
Important Dates Ahead...
Feb. 12-15: School Spirit Week
Feb. 13: 4/5 Music Concert- 6pm
Feb. 14: Friendship Day
Feb. 16: No School- Teacher Work Day
Feb. 19: No School
Feb. 22: Evening Conferences
Feb. 26: Evening Conferences
March 1: End of Trimester 2
March 4-8: Spring Break
March 11: No School- teacher work day
March 12: School Resumes
March 15: Progress Reports Sent home
Calendar and Schedule Updates
The latest calendar updates are available at sowashco.org/calendar.
Amazing Books and Stories
February is upon us and a new Theme. This month our theme is Amazing Books and Stories to go along with I love to Read Month (see below for more information).
Next week is School Spirit week for I love to Read Month:
Monday: Dress like you are going on an adventure
Tuesday: Read My Shirt Day: Wear a shirt with school appropriate words
Wednesday: Kindness/Friendship shirt day: Wear a shirt that shows kindness
Thursday: Book Character Dress Up day
Please make sure that you have signed up for a conference with your child's teacher. We look forward to meeting with you and sharing your child's progress.
Thank you for your partnership!
Candy Gram, Principal
Cottage Grove Elementary
Do you have a kindergartener starting in the fall of 2024? Even if you have other children at CGE, you MUST fill out the enrollment information. Please click the link below to complete the registration process. KINDERGARTEN ENROLLMENT
If you have neighbors or friends who also have kindergartners starting in the fall please pass on this information and have them enroll them TODAY!
We are looking for gently used pants donations for the health office. The pants could be plain black sweatpants or leggings since they seem to match mostly everything that kids wear. We mostly need sizes 5-8. We could also use new underwear in the same sizes for both boys and girls. Thanks for your consideration. You can drop any donations off in the main office.
February is I Love to Read Month
Our theme this year is Reading-Your Passport to Adventure!
- students will receive a reading passport with 4 weeks of literacy related activities
- parents/guardians must sign off each week of the completed passport page
- passports will be handed to students February 2, 2024
- Kindergarten-pink passports
- 1st grade-yellow passports
- 2nd grade-orange passports
- 3rd grade-green passports
- 4th grade-purple passports
- 5th grade-blue passports
- students will bring their passport to be stamped on the following dates
- week 1 stamp 2/9/24
- week 2 stamp 2/15/24
- week 3 stamp 2/23/24
- week 4 stamped 3/2/24
- all stamps must be received by 3/13/24
- students with all 4 stamps will be invited to the grade level bookmark making event to celebrate all of their reading
- Please note-we will not have extra passports for students if they are lost, but families will be able to print the weekly pages from our website and still complete all 4 weeks
There is also a district I Love to Read Month Video Contest you can participate in. Please check out more information by clicking the link: LINK
February 14th is a day to celebrate friendship and kindness. Your child is welcome to bring in cards to share with their classmates for this fun day. We are asking that NO EDIBLE treats be brought in to share. This includes candy and chocolate which are common treats to celebrate this day. If your child brings in something edible, we will ask them to bring it home to share with your family. Please don't put our teachers in this position and refrain from sending in edible treats (just like we do for birthdays). Many students have severe allergies or families prefer their child not consume too much sugar. Thank you for respecting these wishes and keeping all of our students safe.
SoWashCo Community Education Youth Activities
SoWashCo Community Education Youth Activities
South Washington County Schools (SoWashCo Schools) offers activities and classes for youth through SoWashCo Community Education. Activities and classes are conveniently offered at your child's school, partner locations within our community and online. Sign up for the winter session now!
The latest activities and classes can be found on our website under Get Involved > Youth Activities.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: IMPORTANT INFORMATION FROM PREVIOUS NEWSLETTERS
CGE will be able to host limited lunch time visitors between , October 9– May 26th this school year. Based on space and safety requirements, one family member listed in Parent Portal may sign up using our February Sign Up to accompany their child at our guest lunch table. Our reservation link for February is live LINK. We ask families to review the process below so that we can ensure this practice is available:
- Sign up for the visit no later than the day prior to your visit. One guest only.
- Upon arrival for the visit, present identification and complete the Raptor screening.
- Wear the visitor badge so that it is visible during the entirety of the visit.
- Go directly to the lunchroom and eat in the guest space with your student.
- No friends or additional students will be permitted to join the guest space.
- Visitors may not visit recess time.
- The visit is limited to guest space during the student’s identified lunch period.
- Any outside food brought in can only be shared with your student.
- Do not take pictures, record, or film while at school. Use of cell phones is strongly discouraged for safety and privacy.
- You may sign up for one spot a month to allow for other families to sign up as well.
- PLEASE delete your reservation if you are unable to come to allow for other families to sign up.
We ask that you limit your visit to the lunchroom and not accompany your child back to the classroom. We also ask that you not visit your other children in their classroom or drop something off for them.
You will get a new link monthly to reserve your spot.
We have more fundraisers coming up! Please see dates below and add them to your calendar:
Upcoming Culver’s Night
April 2 2nd grade
May 7 3rd grade
June 4 Special Education
Thank you for your continued support for the CGE community. Please attend a meeting or reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or ideas.
Order your CGE Yearbook starting now through March 27, 2024. See the flyer below for more information regarding cost and how to place your order!
It has been a common practice to provide treats for the class in honor of a child’s birthday; however we are asking that NO EDIBLE TREATS be sent in to celebrate birthdays. We will make your child’s birthday special in the classroom without edible treats.
If you would like to send a little something to honor their day please consider an alternative birthday treat such as pencils or a book donated to the classroom. We ask that no edible treats be sent in due to varying allergy conditions and other issues related to edible treats in the classroom. Thank you for your help with following this new practice of celebrating birthdays in the classroom.
Birthday “parties” are not given in the classroom and dispersing non-edible treats is expected to take minimal time away from classroom instruction. In addition, teachers are not responsible for handing out birthday party invitations or sending email invites/RSVP reminders to the entire class. Thank you for respecting these guidelines.
7:30 am - School office opens
8:25 am - School opens to students
8:40 am - School day begins
3:10 pm - School day ends
3:30 pm - School office closes
NOTE: The earliest students can arrive at school in the morning is 8:25 am. All students must be picked up at 3:10 pm if not riding the bus home.
CGE Contact Information
Desi Faletti, School Social Worker: email@example.com / 651.425.5808
Marci Patchett, School Psychologist: firstname.lastname@example.org 651.425.5824
School Website: https://cges.sowashco.org/
District Website: www.sowashco.org
CGES Office: 651-425-5800
CGES Attendance Line: 651-425-5806
CGES Health Office: 651-425-5802
CGES Fax Number: 651-425-5815
SoWashCo Student Information: 651-425-6218