Friday, September 9th
From the Principals' Offices
BES students and teachers are now officially back in the groove of school. It has been GREAT to get into classrooms seeing all the relationship building and learning. We are looking forward to a very busy and eventful month. Please pay attention to the upcoming events section. This will keep you informed on the cool things happening in our district.
It's been another great week at Brookwood! Our BMS student-athletes have already begun fall sports, with both Cross Country and Boys & Girls Softball having already started. It has been great to see our kids outside, enjoying this amazing weather, and participating in these team sports! We'd also like to welcome two new coaches: Ms. Bartucci (Cross Country) and Mrs. Brill (Boys' Softball)!
Our 6th graders are gearing up for Camp Wonderland next week as well! They can't wait to participate in various outdoor activities including fishing, hiking, and ziplining. This has been an amazing tradition here at Brookwood and we are elated to continue enriching our 6th grade Science curriculum with these awesome hands-on opportunities. Learning has no walls!
Have a great weekend, Mustangs!
Principal, BES &
- 9/12 - Boys and Girls Softball Practice, 2:50 - 4:15pm
- 9/12 - Cross Country Meet @ Bristol, 4:00pm
- 9/12 - Map Testing Window opens
- 9/13 - Cross Country Practice, 2:40 - 3:30pm
- 9/13 - Softball HOME game vs Randall, 4:00 pm
- 9/14 - Cross Country Practice, 2:40 - 3:30pm
- 9/14 - Boys and Girls Softball Practice, 2:50 - 4:15pm
- 9/14 - Camp Wonderland - 6th grade
- 9/15 - Camp Wonderland - 6th grade
- 9/15 - Softball HOME game vs. Wheatland, 4:00 pm
- 9/16 - 6th grade only - NO SCHOOL
- 9/17 - Family Bike Ride 9am-12pm, @BMS
- 9/19 - Boys and Girls Softball Practice, 2:50 - 4:15pm
- 9/19 - Cross Country Meet @ Salem, 4:00pm
- 9/19 - School Board Meeting, 6:00pm
- 9/20 - Boys and Girls Softball game @ Riverview, 4:00pm
- 9/21 - Boys and Girls Softball Practice, 2:50 - 4:15pm
- 9/21 - Cross Country Meet@ Union Grove, 4:00pm
- 9/22 - Softball game @ Lakewood, 4:00pm
- 9/23 - Cross Country Meet @ Badger, 4:00pm
- 9/23 - Glow Run, 7:00pm
Glow Run:September 23rd!
Brookwood Clothing Closet
MAP Testing Begins Next Week at BMS!
Beginning next week, all BMS students will take a MAP® Growth™ test. MAP is an online test that measures student achievement and growth in the areas of reading, language usage, and math. All BMS students in grades 4-7 take this test triannually, and students in grade 8 take it biannually. Teachers use the data generated by MAP to individualize student learning by planning for appropriate academic interventions and enrichments for students. For additional information regarding the MAP test, please visit: www.nwea.org and select “Family Resources.”
We will look forward to reviewing your child’s Fall MAP test results at Parent/Teacher Conferences in October.
Please feel free to reach out for any additional questions.
From the Athletic Director...
We had a great first week of Brookwood athletics! Mark your calendars - cross country has their first meet of the season on Monday, September 12th, at Bristol. Softball has their first game on Tuesday, September 13th, at home against Randall. Come out and support your Mustangs!
I’d like to give a special shout-out to PFI. They are the company that does all of our Spiritwear, and they have generously donated four new packs of practice pinnies that we’ll be able to use. Thanks, PFI!
Finally, I am looking for student volunteers who would like to take a leadership role in school spirit! If you are interested in being a Super Fan and helping to plan pep rallies, participating in athletic announcements/game recaps, or creating locker decorations, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by my classroom.
FROM THE CLASSROOM...
What's Happening in Mrs. Kanthack's Class?
Did you know that on the 10th anniversary of 9/11, a tradition was started in which Brookwood students and community members planted a daffodil bulb for every life lost in 9/11? Fast forward several years later, and now approximately 15,000 daffodils bloom in late April in the woods adjacent to BMS. This week, Mrs. Kanthack and her 8th grade Science students spent some time keeping this tradition alive by planting even MORE bulbs. Students discussed their hopes for this year, and then spent some time planting a symbolic bulb.These bulbs will be in full bloom around the same time in which these students graduate, which places a new spin on the original tradition, but one with the same message of hope and peace.
OLD NEWS, BUT GOOD NEWS...
BES & BMS School Morning Entry Procedures
Thank you in advance for helping us to keep our students safe by observing the following drop off guidelines:
Enter the parking lot through the south entrance.
Pull your vehicle all the way up so as to line up in a single file line alongside the curb.
Be mindful of cars behind you! During drop off, release your student from your vehicle as soon as you pull up to the curb, then exit the lot from the north entrance. Do not park and wait.
Please do not at any time exit the line of cars. Weaving in and out of the line poses a safety concern for students leaving the building on foot or on their bike.
Drive slowly, and pay close attention while driving in the parking lot.
If your child bikes or walks to school, please know that teachers will not be outside to supervise until 7:25am. Doors to the building will open promptly at 7:30am.
- The BES doors will open at 8:20.
- School Day starts at 8:30.
- We ask if parents are walking their children to the door, please park in street parking. Yellow curb sections are for drop off only.
- Help us keep kids safe by driving slow and show caution as students and pedestrians cross. We will have two crossing guards to assist with street crossing at the corners.
- We do not have supervision outside prior to 8:20.