Architects of the Future
Camp Create 2016
Goals of the Camp
1. Help you be successful in science next year.
TEKS 5.7A- Explore the processes that led to the formation of sedimentary rocks and fossil fuels;
2. Build collaboration skills.
a) Work with groups to accomplish tasks and finish projects
b) Learn how to be a part of a team.
3. Build public speaking skills.
a) Present your work to the class at the end of each project
b) Present everything you learned at Student Showcase
4. Learn about college and careers.
5. Have fun!
What will we do?
Design an Energy Efficient Doll House
Agenda Monday 6/6 Welcome and How are fossil fuels formed?
Name tent do now
Introductions- teacher, helpers, campers
Overview of objectives for the camp
Norms/rules brainstorm session
Set up folders, hand out paperwork: calendar, contact infoPre-test
Project #1- Create a presentation with your group that explains what fossil fuels are and how they are formed.
1. Watch this video and fill in the blanks on the Presentation Script
2. Work with your group to create visuals for your presentation.
3. Decide on 2 people to share responsibility for reading the script during the presentation.
4. Decide on 2 people to hold up the visuals during the presentation.
5. Present your work to the class.
Agenda Thursday 6/9- Uses, Problems, Alternatives to Fossil Fuels
Agenda Monday 6/13- What energy do houses use?
2) Brainstorm list of what houses use energy for
Agenda Tuesday 6/14- How can we conserve water?
1) Make a presentation note card explaining the wind farm.
2) Start researching ways to conserve water.
3) Make a note card for your water conservation solution.
4) Create a model of your water conservation solution.
5) Finish putting shingles and trim on houses.
Water Conservation Solutions
Agenda Wednesday 6/15- College Field Trip!
1) How your house uses wind power
2) How your house conserves water
Agenda Thursday 6/16- How can we use solar power?
1) Understand how power is created
2) Understand how renewable energy can be used to create energy.
3) Research ways to use solar power in your house.
4) Make a note card for how your house will use solar power.
3) Create model solar panels for your house
Solar Power Projects:
Water Conservation Solution (rain garden, rain barrels, native plants)
Solar Panels on the roof
Done with your house:
Work on fixing the wind farm. It's a mess!
Start the milk paint
Agenda Monday 6/20- How do wind power, solar power, geothermal energy and biofuels help us create energy?
Agenda Tuesday 6/21- What is geothermal energy?
1) Research ways to use biofuels
2) Make a note card for how your house will use biofuels
3) Create a model of your biofuel solution.
Day 2 of Making Milk Paint
Agenda Wednesday 6/22- Team Building Day
Finish painting houses.
Finishing touches on presentations.
Agenda Thursday 6/23- Showcase
10:45-11:15 Architects of the Future