Glenview Library Letter
September 25, 2014
Notes from the Library...
- When you have a new student who needs a library card, PLEASE EMAIL both Mara and me. We try to keep checkout running as efficiently as possible, and when a student comes in saying they need a library card, it slows down the line while we try to determine the student's name and homeroom. If you send us the name in an email, it ensures that we have the correct spelling and teacher. Thank you!
- Many students are pulling/ripping/tearing the barcodes and spine labels of of books and Playaways. We are also receiving books back that have had the protective covers torn off. Please help us make sure that all students understand books must be returned in the condition they were checked out in, and that nothing should be removed from a book. Thanks.
- The Southern Festival of Books is October 10-12. The annual free event will bring in over 200 authors from all over the country, and there are readings, discussions, book signings, events for kids, and tents set up outside for book sales and literary groups. It's a lot of fun! Here is the website for more information: http://www.humanitiestennessee.org/programs/southern-festival-books-celebration-written-word
The Dewey Club
- This club is open to all first through fourth grade students. To join, students may stop by the Library to pick up a booklet.
- They will need to read one book in each of the 10 Dewey Decimal categories, plus one biography, and keep track of it using the booklet.
- For each book, they will record the title, author, call number, and two interesting facts learned. They will take the AR test if there is one.
- Then, they students can turn in the booklet to join the club!
- All students who complete the tasks will earn a free nonfiction book of their choice! They will also have their name and photo featured in a display.
Please tell your class about the Dewey Club. Any interested students can pick up a booklet any time they come to the library to check out books.
HMH Think Central
Quote of the Week
"What I love most about libraries is that the books can only be borrowed, but the knowledge and inspiration they contain are yours to keep."
Glenview Library... More than just books!
Items available for teachers:
Professional Collection-- located in the Conference Room near the library entrance
-some new books were added recently....check them out!
Playaways (audiobooks)-- on Playaway display rack
Big Books-- located in the Library Office/Workroom
DVDs and VHS-- located in the Library Office/WorkroomBooks on tape-- located in the Library Office/Workroom