Home of the latest news, photos & videos for CHS
November 16, 2021
From the Principal
Dear Cardinal Family,
So many exciting things are happening at CHS! Our volleyball team is headed to state, football is on to round two of the playoffs, girls basketball is off to a strong start and boys basketball is about to begin. Come out and support our kiddos when you get a chance.
This month our Cardinals In Action Community Service group will be working on their Fall Community Service project. Please see the flyers below for information on how you can help make a difference in our community by donating to the Columbus Food Pantry. Thank you in advance!
As always, we are committed to creating an environment where students and teachers alike can: LEARN WITH PASSION, ACT WITH COURAGE, AND CHANGE THE WORLD! #EverUpwardCardinals
All the BEST,
Upcoming Events / Reminders
11/16: Girls JV/V Basketball vs. Van Vleck @ 5:00 / 6:15 (BRING 2 NON-Perishable FOOD items for admission to the Game)
11/17: DAC Meeting @ 4pm in the Board Room
11/18: Girls JV Basketball Tournament @ Schulenburg - TBA
11/18: HEAC/SHAC meeting @ 5pm
11/18: LADY CARD VB at the state semi-finals in Garland @ 1pm
11/18 & 11/20: Girls Basketball @ Schulenburg JV Tournament - TBA
11/19: We are on the assembly Bell Schedule - Pep Rally from 8:40-9:10 a.m.
11/19: Card FB vs. Anahuac @ 7:30 p.m. at Delmar Stadium in HISD
11/20: State Volleyball Final @11am in Garland
11/20: Girls JV Basketball Tournament @ Schulenburg - TBA
11/20: Boys FR/JV/V Basketball @ Smithville 11:00/12:15/1:30
11/22: Boys FR/JV/V Basketball @ Schulenburg 10:00/11:00/12:30
Thanksgiving BREAK: 11/22-11/26
11/29: CISD Steering Committee Meeting @ CHS 5:30-8pm (invitation only)
11/30: Girls JV/V Basketball @Brazos 5:00/6:15
11/30: Boys Basketball vs Sealy FR/JV/V 5:00/6:15/7:30
11/30: Dyslexia Parent Meeting in the Board Room @6pm
From the CHS Library
- In an effort to accommodate students wanting to check out library books, Ms. Frey will be staying a little later in the afternoon each day.
- She will be in the library until 3:45 p.m., beginning on Monday Nov. 1st. In addition, she will be alternating lunch periods, so that students can come in after eating.
- On Monday, Wednesday and Friday, the library will be open during B lunch. Tuesday and Thursday it will be open during A lunch.
- We no longer have the Library Covid restrictions in place from last year, so students may check out up to 2 books at a time, for 2 weeks at a time.
Bell Schedules & School Calendar
We've Got Spirit Yes We Do!!
Updates from the Nest!
Lady Cardinal Volleyball
- The Lady Card Volleyball Team is headed to state! They defeated London and Goliad at the Regional Tournament to advance to state!
- They play Bushland on 11.18.21 at 1 p.m. @ the Curtis Culwell Center in Garland
- The Card Football team are the undefeated District Champs!
- They defeated Rockdale 42-21 and are now the Bi-District Champs!
- Next they play Anuhuac on 11.19.21 at 7:30 p.m. @ Delmar Stadium in HISD-
- Ticket Link:
They will accept: Uil District Passes, THSCA, and Senior Citizens.
Delmar Stadium2020 Mangum Rd, Houston Lady Cardinal Basketball
- Varsity defeated Dimebox on 11.9.21 67-22
- The JV girls ended the past weekend with 2-3 record at the Rice tournament.
We defeated Rice Friday and Weimar Saturday.
Rice scores: 29-6
Weimar score: 25-21
Lady Card VB is Headed to State!!!
- A BIG SHOUT OUT to FFA members: On Saturday, Nov. 13th members competed in the District Leadership Development Events.
-Job Interview LDE placed 3rd Advancing to Area Competition - Brooke Wanjura
-Public Relations LDE placed 5th. Team was: Reid Williams, Colby Williams, Jagar Rau, Calle Collier and Justin Strauss
-Radio placed 6th - team was: Jagar Rau, Makenzie Thames, and Will Hauerland
-Sr. FFA creed: Makenzie Thames
-JR. FFA Creed: Meagan Ruether
-Sr. Quiz: Audrey Potter, Jack Labay, Ashlyn Koehl, Logan Mazac
- Congratulations to our Outstanding Students and Staff member of the 2nd Six Weeks!
Scholarship Opportunity for Graduating Seniors
Cool Cardinal Happenings
- Birdie's Bistro on 11.11.21 was a huge success. Ms. Gregory and her culinary kiddos created a night to remember for the Columbus Community!
- Cardinals in Action (CIA) are out and about doing good in the community: CIA kids recently volunteered at the Boys and Girls club event - Taste of Columbus.
- Jonathan Uv, educational representative from Universal Technical Institute UTI, was a guest speaker in intro to welding and welding classes. He discussed the importance of discovering a job/career that kids are passionate about, saving for their future and programs/opportunities that are available at UTI. In addition, he worked through a sample budget with the students based on minimum wage then compared it with the wages of other jobs so students could see the cost-of-living and the importance of saving for the future.