Hearne Elementary School Newsletter
July 2019-September 2019
Follow Us to Stay Informed
Text @hearnehu to 81010.
Welcome Back, Huskies!
Greetings Husky Students and Families,
Welcome back to another awesome year! I hope you had a safe and restful summer break. Your Hearne family missed you very much and cannot wait to see you in a few, short weeks. We are excited to get started with fun and learning!
Save the Date!
Meet the Teacher will take place on Monday, August 12, 2019 from 4:30-6:30 PM. Arrive on time so you can find parking. School spirit items will be on sale. There will also be prizes and snacks. You will visit with our Hearne Administrators before meeting your child's new teachers in the classroom.
School Supplies and Dress code
Below, you will find our 2019-2020 school supply list and dress code guidelines. Please use these resources as you shop for the school year. Just a reminder, tax-free weekend is from Friday, August 9th to Sunday, August 11th.
Alief ISD is a uniform school district. Students are permitted to wear a Hearne spirit shirt on Wednesdays and a college/university shirt on Fridays this year. Solid color blue jeans/shorts are permitted on these days only.
Parent Involvement Opportunities
This year there will be several opportunities for you to share your input, receive support for your child at home, and apply skills and strategies from the classroom. Our first Coffee with the Principals will take place on Wednesday, August 28th from 8:30-10:00 AM. Join us as we kick off the school year. Refreshments will be served.
Update Contact Information
Alief ISD has moved to an online registration system. All newly registered students should have used this system to register for this school year. All returning students have already been added to the new system based on last year’s information. If you moved or updated your phone numbers over the summer, look out for directions to update this information during the first weeks of school. You can also share your new contact information with your student’s teacher at Meet the Teacher on August 12th.
Hearne Elementary School has a long, proud tradition of academic success grounded in a family atmosphere. I look forward to the fabulous feats we will accomplish for the 2019-2020 school year!
If you need anything, please let us know so we can support you and your family.
Mrs. Johanna Sanchez
We build meaningful relationships with all stakeholders.
We maintain a safe environment in a positive atmosphere.
We focus on student achievement.
We are committed.
We are a family.
Hearne Elementary will provide a learning environment, where all students are empowered as leaders and critical thinkers. We are committed to building positive relationships in a safe environment while creating life-long learners who are prepared for the 21st century.
The mission of Hearne Elementary School is to guide our students to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to make responsible life choices and positive contributions in a diverse society. In collaboration with home and community, we respond to the needs of every child, ensuring that each child can and will learn.
Learning today; leading tomorrow!
Theme this year
Our Mission is Possible on the Energy Bus!
All 1st-4th Grade students will be receiving a FREE student planner to foster organization skills and plan ahead mentality. Please sign each night to allow for consistent home-school communication. Replacement planners will cost $5
Hearne Elementary Mode of Dress
Yes, we are a dress code campus!
Hearne Elementary School
Mode of Dress for the 2019-2020 School Year
Navy Blue or Khaki
*Jeans allowed ONLY with special permission.
Any Solid Color Collared Shirt or Spirit Shirt on Wednesdays
- Too loose clothing or attire too tight for walking, sitting, bending, or reaching is unacceptable to wear to school.
- Oversized clothing, sagging pants, and exposure of undergarments are not permitted.
- Form-fitting shorts or pants of Lycra or spandex and biker shorts are not permitted.
- Cut-offs and slashed or ripped clothing is prohibited.
- Hats, caps, and bandanas must not be worn unless for special campus events. Parents will be notified.
- Hemlines of shorts, skirts, and dresses may be no more than 2” above the knees.
- Shoes must be worn at all times. House shoes/slippers are not allowed.
- Body piercing is limited to the ears only. Earrings are not permitted to be worn by male students in elementary school.
For more information, please read the Student Handbook and Code of Conduct.
Hearne-Specific School Supplies by Grade Level (Some items may overlap)
Save the Date for the Upcoming Campus Events:
Visit our website regularly!
- June 27th- Last day of Summer School
- August 1st- Registration begins (12:00PM-7PM
- August 12th Meet the Teacher (4:30PM-6:30PM)
- August 14th- First Day of School
- August 28th- Coffee with the Principals at 8:30 AM
- September 2nd- Labor Day Student/Staff Holiday
- October 4th- Progress Reports go home
- October 14th- Columbus Day Student/Staff Holiday
- October 18th- Report Cards go home
Lunch with Your Child
The Tradition will continue!
Lunch with your child will begin the week of October 7th-11th.
Due to the size of our cafeteria, parents and guardians are welcome to eat lunch with their child on select days based on grade level.
Tuesday- 1st Grade/REACH
Wednesday- 2nd Grade/Life Skills
Thursday- 3rd Grade
Friday- 4th Grade
Encourage your student: See Something, Say Something!
Over the past few weeks, we have been reinforcing this simple phrase: "See Something, Say Something."
Please help us by encouraging your student to speak up and share anything that may be considered unsafe. The more we know, the better and faster our response can be.
Protecting Personal Information
Due to unique family situations (ex. guardianship/custody, protective orders, restraining orders, etc.) and safety concerns for all, personal information will not be shared with via phone calls because identity cannot be verified. Please contact an administrator if you have any concerns. We will be happy to support your concerns.
Bus Riders will use a SMART Tag!
In just three easy steps, you and your child can have peace of mind knowing that they are safe and sound on their way to and from school. The SMART Tag electronic bus transportation system ensures that students get on the right bus and get off at the right stop.
SMARTER AND SAFER BUS TRANSPORTATION
- Students are issued new school ID cards with an electronic chip SMART sensor
- School busses are equipped with a SMART Tag reader that riders swipe when loading and unloading
- The tablet will display whether the rider is boarding the correct bus or getting off at the right stop
- Parents and guardians can sign up for SMART Alerts via text to notify them that their child boarded the bus or exited at the correct stop
- Access to the Parent Portal allows you to view a real time map with GPS tracking
Have Questions? Contact Alief ISD Transportation Services: (281) 983-8400
If your student lost their SMART Tag, there is a $5 replacement fee. Please place the money in a sealed envelope with your students' name when sending it to school.
Student Pick Up
- Car Rider (all cars must have a car rider tag)
- Bus Riders (all students should have a SMART ID Tag when boarding and unboarding the bus).
If you need to change your child's mode of transportation for dismissal, this must occur before 2:30 PM.
Early Dismissal Must be Done before 2:30 PM
Parents, for the safety of all students, the last time to pick up your student early each day is before 2:30 pm. Change of transportation must also be completed before this time.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Car Rider Reminder
Our dedicated staff members actively supervise students until the last student is picked up.
Thank you for your assistance in creating a safe environment for everyone.
Rainy Day Dismissal
We will use the rainy day dismissal plan on days when it is pouring, and/or there is thunders and lightning. The decision will be made at 2:50p.m. based on the weather conditions at Hearne Elementary School. We will communicate with staff and students.
Our procedure will be as follows:
1. All car riders will dismiss as normal. Please do not exit your car and come into the building to pick up your child. We will be trying to expedite the departure of hundreds of students and need to ensure each child's safety. Please make sure your car rider sign is clearly displayed on your car dashboard so we may call your child(ren) as quickly as possible.
2. Bus Riders will be dismissed as normal.
3. Daycare will be dismissed as normal.
3. Regular Walkers/Sibling Walkers/Bikers will remain on campus, seated safely in hallways until the weather changes enough to present safe walking/biking conditions. If you wish to pick up your child(ren) as a car rider, you may begin picking up using the car rider line beginning at 3:40 p.m. We will ask for your child(ren)’s name and grade level. We appreciate your patience in advance!
As always, if you need to change your child's mode of transportation for dismissal, this must occur before 2:30 p.m. in the front office with a valid ID. Please make sure you and your child have a predetermined rainy day plan in place and you communicate these important plans with your child and their teacher in advance.
We appreciate your support!
-The Dedicated Staff of Hearne Elementary School