Carver Middle School Newsletter
February 14, 2021
Happy Valentine's Day Carver Cougars!
As a reminder we will not have school tomorrow, 2/15/2021 in recognition of President's Day. We have a very busy week ahead of us and this newsletter is packed with key updates. First, the scheduling window opens for the 2021-2022 school year tomorrow. Please see the scheduling website below for key information and for directions on registering your student for classes on Studentvue beginning tomorrow 2/15/2021.
You received information last week regarding our ongoing fundraiser. Your support in our fundraising efforts are appreciated. Proceeds will benefit our continued literacy efforts.
Please join us during our PTA zoom meeting Tuesday at 6:30. Please use the link in the invitation below.
Thanks and have a fantastic week.
Anthony J. McLaurin, Sr., Ed.D.
G.W. Carver Middle School
Carver Course Scheduling!
Check out our Carver MS School Counseling Website for directions, course offerings, course descriptions and other important updates.
Carver MS Fundraiser
Thank you for the support of our school. I hope that everyone can participate in this online fundraiser. This fundraiser will end on February 25th. Proceeds will benefit our literacy efforts at G.W. Carver MS!
Here are easy steps to follow:
1. Go to www.gofundraisenow.com and click on Register.
2. Enter the 6 digit Group ID # for our
3. Send emails and texts to at least 10 family & friends with the unique link so that you receive proper credit that will count towards our incentive program.
4. You, family and friends shop online, pay with a Visa, Mastercard, Discover or American Express. The items will ship directly to the buyers’ homes.
Zoom PTA Meeting
Tuesday, Feb. 16th, 6:30pm
This is an online event.
Anthony McLaurin is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Carver MS PTA Zoom Meeting
Time: Feb 16, 2021 06:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 965 8892 8792
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Return to Learning Updates
Earlier this week, our School Board made the recommendation for our secondary students to return to in-person instruction on Tuesday, March 9, 2021. This gives us approximately three weeks to prepare for the return of our students. Please complete the survey below by Wednesday, 2/17/2021 to inform the school of your return to learning plans.
Monday March 8, 2021 will serve as an asynchronous learning day. Students will work independently while teachers prepare their classrooms for in-person learning.
Black Lives Matter At School
We will have four key activities to include:
1.) A review of the origin & history of the Black Lives Matter Movement
2.) A comparison of the Civil Rights Movement and the Black Lives Matter Movement
3.) Participation in a BLM Mural contest
4.) Participation in a BLM Video contest
If you do not want your student to participate in the Black History Month activity please contact Dr. McLaurin and an alternative activity will be conducted during flex block for your student.
Middle School Sports Update
As middle schools prepare for our students to return to in-person learning on March 9, the Middle School Athletic Council has begun preparations for some athletics and extracurricular activities. In order to be eligible for an athletic activity, students must have a valid VHSL physical, dated after May 1, 2020, and a signed concussion awareness sheet. Students enrolled in any of the learning options, in-person, virtual, or CCPSOnline, will be eligible to participate. Students must be currently enrolled in at least 5 courses and must have passed at least 5 courses from the first semester to be eligible. More information will be provided closer to when our students return to in-person instruction.
CCPS Online will be opening registration for the 2021-22 school year on February 1 and will take registrations until July 9, 2021. Additional information and the link to register can be found on the CCPS Online website. Students may register for a full course load if they would like to remain virtual for the 2021-22 school year or they may take supplemental classes while taking a full course load at their home school (fees are required for this option).
CCPS Online also has courses available for the summer of 2021 and all of these courses require a fee. Registration for summer courses begins on March 1. Registration for summer Health/PE 9 will close on May 19. Registration for all other classes this summer will close on June 23. EDMS counselors are happy to answer all questions related to CCPS Online options.
Flex Block Update
Fridays (Office Hours)- Teacher will communicate with students to set up meets for assignments, check-ins, re-teaching and/or make up work. If your student does not have meetings scheduled, they may utilize this time to work on assignments independently.
Carver MS- Picture Day 2/24/2021
CMS 2020-2021 Yearbook Flyer
Yearbook Updates from Mrs. Boyd!
Follow us on our New Official Pages for upcoming news and highlights!
IG - @gwcarver.middle
Twitter - @gwcarvermiddle
This year has been exceptionally different for each and every one of us. Let’s end this year strong and make an extra effort to build our community and promote KINDNESS! Please take photos or send a written blurb to Michelle Boyd of our Carver students showing KINDNESS for an opportunity to be featured in our 20/21 Cougar Yearbook. Please be sure to include your student’s name and grade!
If you are posting on your own social media please tags us and use the following hashtags:
IG - @gwcarver.middle
Twitter - @gwcarvermiddle
Hidden Figures! Carver MS School-Wide Read!
We appreciate your support in literacy-based learning, and thank you for your time!
- Feb. 15- No School-Student & Staff Holiday
- Feb. 15- Scheduling for the 2021-2022 school year begins on Studentvue
Feb. 16- PTA Meeting
Feb.17- Return to Learning Survey Due
March 8- Asynchronous Learning Day
March 9- Cohort Four Students return to in-person instruction
Dr. Jones' Scheduling Updates for Future TDHS Knights
Course Offerings & Selections...
This is the time of year when students and their families, along with their teachers and counselors, begin making decisions about their courses for next year. On January 19, StudentVue will open and students will be allowed to make their selections regarding their classes for next school year.
Prior to selecting their courses, we want our students and families well-informed. For your reference, here is the timeline:
- Registration Knight (12/9)
- Information Sessions with Students regarding course selections (January or February)
- High School counselors will conduct virtual scheduling meetings with the middle schools and students will select their courses for the 2021-2022 school year...
- Carver Middle School...February 12th
I am extremely excited to release our Course Offering Sheet for 2021-2022!!! You will notice 5 tabs at the top. One for each grade level and a Career Cluster and Pathways tab. Please dig in and explore what we offer and align your child's future to their present!
Students may apply at: https://coderva.org/
See the Carver Clinic Newsletter for updates from Nurse Geisz
Curbside Library Pickup
Pledge of Allegiance Google Meet Link!
Please be sure to share the new Google Meet link below with your Cougar to join us for the Pledge of Allegiance live link daily at 7:35 am!
Second Semester Schedule
Beginning February 1, 2021
Period Start Time Period End Time
Flex Block 7:35 a.m. -8:10 a.m.
Period 1 8:14 a.m.- 9:31 a.m.
Period 2 9:35 a.m.- 10:52 a.m.
Lunch 10:56 a.m.- 11:26 a.m.
Period 3 10:56 a.m.- 12:43 p.m.
Period 4 12:47 p.m. -2:05 p.m.
PERIOD START TIME END TIME
Office Hours (Students Report to FLEX Block) 7:35 a.m.-8:35 a.m.
1 8:39 a.m.-9:49 a.m.
2 9:53 a.m.-11:03 a.m.
Lunch 11:07 a.m.-11:37 a.m.
3 11:07 a.m.-12:47 p.m.
4 12:51 p.m.- 2:05 p.m.
Join the Carver MS Anime Club!
Share the Love with the Carver Staff!
Carver Attendance Line
Carver MS School Counseling Assignments 2020-2021
Welcome to Mrs. Cathy Whitaker our new School Counseling Coordinator! Please see below for your Counselor's contact information. Sixth grade students are assigned counselors based on last name. Please complete the Carver Schedule Request Form if your child's schedule needs to be adjusted and the appropriate counselor will contact you ASAP.
Mrs. Redding A-Memail@example.com
Mrs. Whitaker N- Zfirstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Cunningham- email@example.com
Support and Self- Care During COVID-19
COVID-19 Support from the Viriginia Department of health: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/chesterfield/.
Please take a look at the COVID-19 Resources link. As we are all dealing with difficult times children and adults both may benefit from ideas and resources to help us to cope positively with our present reality.
Message from our School Nurse Mrs. Geisz
Here are a few reminders from the school clinic, even though we are starting school virtual all of the following are still required for this school year:
1. Proof of immunization: For a complete list of all required immunizations please see the Virginia Department of health link https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/immunization/requirements/ There are 2 Middle School specific requirements. Note :Effective July 1, 2019, a booster dose of Tdap vaccine is required for all children entering the 7th grade. Also note: Effective October 1, 2008, a complete series of 3 doses of HPV vaccine is required. The first dose shall be administered before the child enters the 6th grade, however with HPV, after reviewing educational materials approved by the Board of Health, the parent or guardian, at the parent’s or guardian’s sole discretion, may elect for the child not to receive the HPV vaccine.
2. Immunization records can be faxed to 804.520.0189 to the School Nurse.
3. Update Individual Health service plan: If your child lives with any of the following:
- Life-threatening allergies
- Or any other health concern that requires medication or specific health related procedures while in school please make sure that we have an updated health service plan and/or medication administrations forms. Required forms can be found here https://mychesterfieldschools.com/family-and-community-engagement/preparing-for-school/student-health-and-safety/
4. Please keep in mind due to COVID 19 the use of nebulizers will not be allowed this school year, so please make sure to discuss plans for treatment with your physician if your child has asthma.
I am looking forward to supporting your child to be safe, healthy and ready to learn at Carver Middle School! If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 804.524.3620 ext.143.
Use the PTA website at: https://carverpta.ptboard.com/ to sign up.
1. Log in or create an account.
2. On the "Join School" pop up screen enter code: 9XKCHR.
3. Sign up to assist with events, purchase spirit wear, raise funds and assist the PTA in supporting our students!