By: Mackenzie Lancaster
- Had wealthy and well-connected family.
- Darwin initially planned to follow a medical career.
- His 1859 book ‘On the Origin of Species’, detailed much of his research on natural selection, it contained a large amount of evidence to back up his ideas and became a landmark work in the field of evolutionary biology.
Little known facts.
- Darwin was sick to his stomach most of the time on the Beagle, which is one of the main reasons he spent as much time as possible on land and not on the ship.
- Darwin and his wife had 10 children, but three of them died at young ages — two as infants and one at age 10. Darwin was known to be quite devoted to his children.
- "In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed."
- "To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact."
In the 1850s
(NOT AN OLD MAN!) (YET)
The Galapagos islands.
These Islands are beautiful, but the life on them are better.
Charles Darwin and Abraham Lincoln were born on the same day. Though they never met, they had a lot in common.
Books by Charles Darwin.
- Expressions of the emotions.
- The origin of species.
- Colonial and home library.
Death of Charles Darwin
Nothing is known about Darwin's musical disposition as a child. There is no indication that he ever played a musical instrument, nor had an appreciation of music in general. As a young man Darwin acquired a taste for classical music while studying at Cambridge University. He often visited King's College there, and would sit for hours listening to the church choir.