Semi-colons and Colons
How they are used in sentences?
Ways Semicolons and Colons are used
- to join two independent clauses
- With conjecture adverbs
- to separate groups that contain commas
- after a salutation
- between numerals indicating time
- for emphasis
- to introduce a quotation
- to introduce a list
- between a title and a subtitle
Examples of Semicolons
- I am going to visit Anna in St. Louis next weekend; we’ll get to see the Arch, Busch Stadium, and the Landing.
- I tried; however, I failed.
- We were forced to surrender; we had suffered heavy losses.
- Mary drives a Mercedes; Joanne drives a Chevrolet.
- Hundreds of people cross the border from the US to Canada every day; therefore, it is not possible to search all of them carefully.
Examples of Colons
- You may be required to bring many items: sleeping bags, pans, and warm clothing.
- I enjoy reading: novels by Kurt Vonnegut are among my favorites.
- We had to cancel the party: too many people were sick.
- There is one thing that he will not accept: stupidity.
- There are three countries in North America: Mexico, the USA and Canada.