LGBTQ Rights and the 2016 Election
By: Mary Panetta
What is the LGBT community?
Why it matters
On June 27, 1969, gay patrons of the Stonewall Inn in New York City’s Greenwich Village finally had enough of the NYPD’s hassling and started to protest.
Crowd Gathers to Celebrate after Same-Sex Marriage is Legalized
Gay Pride Celebration
The Bathroom Bill
The Two Sides
The Equality Act of 2015
The Equality Act (mainly backed by Democrats) is a bill that was introduced by Senator Jeff Merkley and Rep. David Cicilline that would add to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. It would ban discrimination on the basis of sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity. The act is greatly needed in 31 states that do not yet have laws that protect LGBT members. Even though same-sex marriage was legalized,LGBT people can still experience legal discrimination in employment, housing, and public accommodations.
Donald Trump and LGBT Rights
He told Bill O' Reilly in 2011, "I just don't feel good about it" when asked about Gay marriage
- Trump has declined to support the Equality Act.
- He supports the First Amendment Defense Act (FADA) which would allow people to refuse service to and discriminate against those that are LGBT.
- He has gone so far as to state that he would elect Supreme Court Justices that would be committed to reversing the same-sex marriage law.
- Trump will not enforce any laws to protect LGBT members' rights.
- He believes that the bathroom bill "situation" should be left for the states to decide individually.
Republicans in Congress
- Clinton wants to pass the Equality Act.
- She wants to out-law "conversion therapy" for minors.
- Clinton wants to end the discrimination of LGBT families at adoption facilities.
- Clinton wants to make it easier for transgender people to change the gender marker on their birth certificate
- She is against the bathroom bill and believes that people, especially children, should be able to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with.
Democrats in Congress
Gary Johnson and Jill Stein
Organizations in America that are trying to help
- Campus Pride- Aims to make schools safer for LGBT members.
- Equality Federation- Their mission is to work with state-based LGBT organizations to improve the lives of LGBT citizens.
- GLAAD- Working to promote and ensure fair,equal, and accurate representation in media as a way eliminate homophobia and stereotypes.
Organizations in America that are trying to hurt
- Focus on the Family- Believes that no one is born LGBT but is instead infected by society and can have it reversed. They think that LGBT members corrupt children and should not be given certain rights.
- Americans for Truth About Homosexuality- Orchestrates sometimes vicious attacks, and spreads propaganda full of lies. They believe that homosexuality is a "dangerous" and "lethal behavioral addiction".