Fun in Fourth Grade
A Newsletter About Our Fantastic 4th Grade "Chastain-ians"
Heartfelt Thanks & Shout Outs
Another Chastain-ian has reached her million-word goal! Well done, Molly N! I am so proud of you for persevering to achieve this reading success!
Thank you so much, Jeanine Brown for assisting with math this week. We appreciate your time! Also, many thanks to Tanya Holland and Lucy Chung for grading fast facts tests for our class. This is really appreciated!
Middle School Information Night!
Does your student love to study maps and globes? Can he or she name state capitals? Does geography thrill and excite? Then the annual National Geographic Geography Bee is perfect for your Explorer. The Bee is fast approaching: it’s Wednesday, January 27th @ 6:00pm.
Mr. Canfield, Ms. Brunnmeier, and Ms. Wilhelm will be conducting the Preliminaries on Wednesday, January 20th (1:30pm at Del Paso). If your student is interested in participating (and we really hope they are!) please fill out THIS form by Tuesday, January 19th. Students can begin studying and preparing for the preliminaries NOW by clicking HERE. *Important Tip: Students should log into google accounts to access these materials. They will also be posted on Chastain-ians Daily under "Curriculum Resources."
The Preliminaries will narrow down the top two Geography Buffs from each grade, plus an alternate. The alternate should prepare and be ready in the event that one of the top two students is unable to compete.
The winner of our school-wide Bee will have the opportunity to compete in the state level, and perhaps even the national level!
Night Under the Stars
English Language Arts
- Students will be introduced to five new Greek & Latin Roots during Unit 2 this week. Practice Packets will be due on Friday. Students will also be tested on the meaning of roots from Units 1 & 2 on Friday.
- Students will be working on Spelling City List #30 this week. Students should complete all activities by Friday in preparation for the spelling test that will be given that day in class.
- Students will be learning some of the requisite skills for opinion writing, beginning this week. We will be reinforcing the differences between facts and opinion, as well as how to write a strong opinion statement.
- This week we continue preparing students for literature circle discussions. Next week students will be learning about the Depth & Complexity icons: Details, Big Idea, Relate Over Time and Language of Discipline through literature discussions.
- Reminder: AR halfway goals on Tuesday, Jan. 19th. Read, read, read kidlings!
- We continue with our introductory unit on fractions. 4th grade IXL strands that support our learning in this area include D.4, A.5, Q.1-Q.6; Q.9-Q.20 and Q.22. Students requiring an extra challenge with these skills will be working on fifth grade standards: K.1-K.5 and K.7-K.10.
- If pacing continues as expected, the Chapter 8 math test will likely be on January 26 or 27. Stay tuned for more information.
This week we continue our study of sound and light waves. Essential questions to be investigated include: What are the parts of different waves?
Check out Ms. Jackson's website to see what's currently happening in art.
Photos from Age of Sail
Academic Talent Search Testing
Westlake will be offering Academic Talent Search testing for those interested in signing up for the ATS summer classes with CSU Sacramento. Forms will be sent home this week and should be returned no later than Feb. 5th. The test will be proctored Feb. 25th from 4-5pm for 4th grade on the Del Paso Campus in room N1.
For more information about ATS, parents can visit their website at www.csus.edu/coe/ats
- January 18: Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday - NO SCHOOL
- January 19: Mid-Trimester AR Goals Checked
- January 21 at 6 p.m.: Middle School Information Night in PW cafeteria
- January 22: Mid-Trimester Progress Reports go home
- January 22 from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.: WAVE Astronomy Night
- January 27 at 6 p.m.: Geography Bee on Pebblewood Campus
- February 5: GATE referral forms due
- February 5: Due date for ATS testing
- February 15-19: Presidents' Week Break
- March 4: End of Trimester Accelerated Reader Goal Due
- March 11: End of 2nd Trimester
- March 16-18: Parent Teacher Conferences (Early dismissal)
- March 21-April 1: Spring Break