Raymore Update: 01/21/15
News For & About our Staff Family & PLC
Polar Bear Research
Mrs. Meyer's Monarchs spend time researching polar bears.
Polar Bear Research
Mrs. Thompson's students work together to research polar bears.
Khyla on the Court
Mrs. Lopez had a chance to watch her student Khyla Wade play basketball this weekend. Apparently, Khyla is quite the basketball player!
Intelligence plus character, that is the goal of true education. --- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Wish You Well
Kudos to our "Whatever it Takes" presenters from RE/EC: Kristin Mason, Seth Hunziker, Trisha Morris, Christal Heier, Angie Lasala, Valerie Collom, Jenni Beck, Samantha Copeland, Leeann Murphy and Sherri Mullen. You were fantastic! Thanks for sharing your expertise with others in the district.
No Faculty Meeting Tomorrow
Given the great learning from today and the fact that tomorrow is kind of like a Monday, we will postpone tomorrow morning's faculty meeting. Instead, given that it's time for mid-year PGPs, Michelle and/or I will come visit with you and your teams sometime this week for a few minutes to guide you in that process. Sleep in a few extra minutes or spend that time with your kiddos in the morning. Here's to a great first day back with our kids tomorrow!
Box Top Bonus Flyer Competition - Keep those Bonus Flyers coming in!
BOE Walk Through - Feb. 6
Openings Available in Panther Cub Academy
We are so fortunate to have our Panther Cub Academy Preschool and Childcare for 3-5 year olds program available in our lower level. Currently, PCA is promoting they have openings and are trying to get the word out in the community. Each week we have been sharing their newsletter in our Staff Update, as well as, tweeting it out. It would be great if you could help spread the word too.
Here are a few ways you can help:
1. Share the flyer with friends or family.
2. Tweet about the flyer. Don't forget to @ mention Panther Cub
3. Share the flyer in your weekly class newsletters.
4. Get creative! Write a blog post or help spread the word offline!
Click below to check out this week's PCA newsletter. Thanks for your help!
Come Hear Info., Have Q & A and Provide Input on Jan. 29 at 4:00 pm
We have an opportunity! I encourage you to join us for the Long Range Facility Planning Focus Group, who will gather input from our RE/ECC staff on
Thursday, January 29, 4 pm (est. end time 5:15-5:30 pm depending on questions/discussion) located in the Raymore/ECC Library Media Center.
As many of you know, our district has continued this year to analyze what our long-range facilities' needs may be in the coming years as our district will likely resume its enrollment growth in the future. A team of district & building administrators (including Michelle) and Board members has met as part of an "exec team" to review historical data & fashion a process for gathering input, an initial survey was sent out to all staff/parents/community members in Dec/Jan, and now a next step is to offer presentations to various "focus groups" (e.g. staffs, PTA council, community groups, etc.) to expand the opportunity for info and feedback based in part on the initial survey feedback. The time selected for the staff focus group sessions was determined based on how to best ensure that as many as possible of our classified/certified staff are available and not with students/on duty. This is certainly not mandatory to attend, but RP truly wishes to gather input from all of our staff. You/we are a central part of our district's history, current reality, and future success. So, if you can attend, please do!
Jeans Week for Polar Plunge - Jan. 26
Student Cell Phones-Please Revisit Procedures
Laminating Film Reminder
As stated in a previous email from Renee, we have 7 replacement boxes of laminating film to last us through the rest of the school year. We've already gone through 14 boxes and it's only January! Unfortunately, once we run out of laminating film for this year, we are out. We will not be ordering more. Please make sure when you laminate items they will be used over and over during the school year, or that you plan to use them for several years. A good rule of thumb: laminate only items you plan to use for more than one school year [at the very least]. Be conservative. Try to make sure you do everything you can do to squeeze things together and utilize as much of the film as possible with your content for more effective use of the film. Thank you for your help with making our lamination last!
Articles and Videos for You
I encourage you to watch this seven minute trailer video that tells the story of Fern Creek Elementary and their journey with Conscious Discipline. For me, it reaffirms the importance of a school that is based on connection, safety, and commitment for our students. I also encourage you to check out https://consciousdiscipline.com. There is a lot of great information on the website!
Reminders & FYIs
School Board Celebration: Jan. 22
Polar Plunge Jeans Week: Jan. 26
PCA Family Fun Night: Jan. 26 5-5:45 pm & 6-6:45 pm
Cheris Visits: Jan. 28
- Please remember to be at specials door :35 after to deliver & :30 to pick up. Thank you!
- Fridays --jeans with Ray Pec spirit wear.
- Continue checking off students at dismissal.
Remember to add your lesson plans to the Google RE Shared Folder each Monday by 8:25 a.m.
- It is our district and building expectation that all staff reply to communication (email and phone calls) with within a 24 hour time frame.
- If you have any pictures of great things going on in your classroom or family, please send them to Jennika. I would love to share with others in our Weekly Staff Update.
- Call or text Michelle & Jennika if you're going to be unexpectedly absent (after 4 pm day before). 616-4210 and 550-4434
- Call or text Michelle if you will be in the building on the weekend! The lounge/workroom will be open for access to copiers.
- Remember to check the RE Shared Calendar for events! We are still adding, and things change.
Looking for previous copies of our Weekly Staff Updates? If so, these can be found on our Raymore Tigers Weebly site under "For Staff" & then click on "Raymore Update".
PLC: Our Mission, Vision, Values
- Focus on Learning
- Build a Collaborative Culture
- Focus on Results
We answer four questions:
- What do we expect our students to learn? (Goals/Expectations)
- How will we know they are learning? (Assessment)
- How will we respond when they don’t learn? (DI Intervention)
- How will we respond if they already know it? (DI Extension)
To fulfill our mission & vision:
- M: Preparing each student for a successful and meaningful life
- V: Turning today's learners into tomorrow's leaders
With these commitments:
- We are committed to consistency & accountability for each student's success.
- We are committed to a system of support for students and adults.
- We are committed to a safe, trusting and collaborative environment.
- We are committed to best practices.
- We are committed to high expectations for learning, behavior and citizenship.
- We are committed to quality communication & positive relationships with all stakeholders
- We are committed to effective communication regarding student progress.
- We are committed to data-driven decision making.
- We are committed to use of appropriate channels for communication.
- We are committed to a guaranteed (consistent) and viable (doable) curriculum.
- We are committed to maintaining fiscal responsibility while improving student achievement