Eastside: One Team, One Dream
"We never lose. We either win or we learn. - Nelson Mandela
Working in partnership with the community, Eastside Elementary will provide all students:
A collaborative team of professionals who are committed to improve their practices, so that all students learn at high levels
A safe, positive, and inviting learning environment
An engaging and challenging curriculum focused on essential academics and life skills
Individualized and timely support that provides students with what they need to succeed
Making Dreams Come True
I also want to say how proud I am of all of you working as a team! This year feels so right! That has nothing to do with me or Mrs. Krogman, but everything to do with the energy you all have brought to this year. I don't think the building has ever looked so good. I personally know the hours you all have been up here. It did not go unnoticed and your students and parents appreciated how great all the spaces for learning look.
We had a parent give us a special shout out on Facebook over the weekend. She said that she keeps telling people that Eastside is the best kept secret in Greenbrier! This was sweet, but let's keep going and striving, so it's not a secret any longer and everyone knows!
Let's go Week 2!!! Start digging into the content this week as you continue to build relationships and teach procedures. Don't forget about your Hattie strategies to be most effective!
Quotes to Inspire You
Details for the Week
Use small group reading time and word study to finish up PAST assessments and Phonics First diagnostic. The pseudo words from Phonics First need to be given to every student. The goal will be to have these assessments completed, so we can start making groups in team meetings on Wednesday. Support staff can help you with this. Please remember that some of your students may be completing their PAST test in another person's classroom during PROWL. Check the PROWL list to know which students you have left to do in your classroom.
Mrs. Krogman will be MAP testing all 3rd through 5th grade new students on Reading, Math, and Language this week. They will be missing some class instruction to do the testing. This will help us gather some valuable data on these new students.
Make sure you have placed all the kids on the No Photo Permission spreadsheet ASAP! This will help us know who we can't post on social media.
Mrs. Krogman and I swept through the building last week looking for essential things posted such as the building map, mission, bullying sign, and classroom matrix. Support staff we have extra classroom matrices for you to post in your room.
Monday (Color Week in Kinder - Wear Red)
Lesson plans should be placed in the Google classroom "Game Plan" by 8 am Monday morning. Newsletters can be uploaded by the end of the day. Have your lesson plan out on your desk (reading lesson plans on your reading table) for us to look at when we come in your classroom. This will allow us to not interrupt the instruction taking place.
PROWL will starts back up on Monday. Continue your PAST test for your small groups and continue through Wednesday. Regular interventions will begin Thursday.
- 3-4 use your small group time to PAST assess "at risk" students
- 5th grade- support staff will be coming to you to help PAST test "at risk" students - please have a list for them
Make sure your objectives are posted on your marker board. Remember the objective is not for you. It's for your students. Objectives need to be listed in I can form. They cannot just be an activity like Number talk. Open and close lesson with the objective to see how close they are to the goal.
Mrs. Hogg will be placing ACT Aspire individual score reports in your box. These will go home to 4th and 5th grade parents today in Monday folders.
Tuesday (Color Week in Kinder - Wear Orange)
- SIT will be taking place.
- Wednesday (Color Week in Kinder - Wear Yellow)
- Team Meetings will be grade level meetings. Support staff will meet at the 9:30 time.
- During team meetings, we will look over data to begin to make groups for PROWL, word study, and reading groups. We will also finish up the plan for clubs.
- Thursday (Color Week in Kinder - Wear Green)
- Dunlap and Krogman "Welcome to the Team" activity with new students 1st - 5th grade
- Friday (Color Week in Kinder - Wear Blue)
- Dunlap and Krogman visit kindergarten with some exciting fun!
- We will have recess meetings on Friday. See daily schedule for your recess meeting time. This will allow us to discuss kids and how PROWL went the first couple of days.
- General Announcements
- Nurse Leah and Mrs. Hogg are requesting pants and shorts for boys and girls for our clothes closet. I went through and cleaned out Luke's closet, so if you have kids school age, please help us out with this.
- Information from the custodians: Please place clorox wipes by the sink. Stack chairs at the end of the day. Do not have anything in your window sill.
- Let me know if you cannot locate the Elementary curriculum file in the Google drive.
- If you need to use a phone to call parents, please use the lounge phone or go across the hallway to the conference room. The office phone is not a place where these conversations need to take place.
- Remember to use a tumbler type cup with a lid for your beverage including coffee.
- All classroom doors must be locked at all times. Only open your classroom door for students or other staff members. You will be notified by Ms. Patty of any visitors coming to your classroom. Remember from Coach Meek's training to talk to kids about not opening the door for someone unless you have said it's okay.
- Continue making positive contacts to parents. Develop those positive relationships so that the more difficult conversations are easier during the school year. Support staff will need to choose 20 students to make positive contacts on as well. You may want to talk about who you choose as a group so we can reach as many different students as possible. Your list will be due to Mrs. Krogman on Sept. 6th.
- You will get ESCWorks descriptions this week. Your transcript will be due to me on August 26th.
CREATING OUR FIELD OF DREAMS
Important Dates (Refer to EES 2019- 20 Calendar shared by Mrs. Krogman)
Aug 19 - ACT Aspire reports sent home
Aug 22 - PTO meeting at 3:45
Aug 26 - ESC works transcripts due
Aug 27 - Mrs. Bailey's here
Aug 28- Mrs. Bailey and Mr. King's here
Aug 29 - Volunteer Training 8:15 AM
August 30th - Positive Parental Contact forms due
Sept 2 - No school
Sept 3 - 5th grade second chance breakfast begins
Sept 3-6 - BOY MAP K-2
Sept 5 - Boy Scout Night 6:30 PM
Sept 6 - Positive Parent Contacts due to Mrs. Krogman
Sept 6 - Mrs. Bailey and Mr. King's here
Sept 12 - PTO Meeting after school and Watch DOG Dad Kick off 6:00 PM
Sept 13 - Spirit Day @ 8:30
Sept 16 - Progress Reports go home
Sept 19 - Lil' Dribbler Meeting 6:00 PM