Tyler & Noelle
The word "Crusade" is related to the word "Cross", and means a Christian holy war.
There were nine crusades, but the most important happened between the 11th and 13th centuries.
- Starts when Europeans lose control of Edessa to the Muslims
- Led by King Louis VII of France and King Conrad III of Germany
- Was a failure for the Europeans
- A response to Jerusalem's fall in 1187
- Byzantines capital, Constantinople
- Conquest of Damietta
- Led by St. Louis
These were the seven major crusades out of the nine total.