Seven Steps 2.0
Why do we utilize the Seven Steps?
You will share your thoughts after the movie ends.
STEP 1: Teach students what to say when they don't know what to say
Complete this sentence: We have to teach students what to say instead of I don't know because...
STEP 2: Have students speak in complete sentences
- Students write the same way that they speak.
- If we expect them to write in complete sentences, we should also expect them to speak in complete sentences.
- Provide students with sentence stems and starters.
- Give them the gift of Academic Language!
Examples of Content Based Sentence Stems:
- Math: My approach to solving this equation would be to...
- Science: After looking at the data from the plant cell experiment, I have concluded that...
- Social Studies: One source of the conflict during the American Revolution is...
- ELAR: The main character in this story is most like ______ in the book ______ in that they both...
Lets watch two short clips!
What are these two teachers doing to ensure that students speak in complete sentences?
STEP 3: RANDOMIZE AND ROTATE WHEN CALLING ON STUDENTS
The goal is to have everyone involved in discussions so that we can assess all students' understanding of concepts, not just those students who enjoy participating.
Phrases to avoid:
- "Who can tell me...?"
- "Let's see who knows...?"
- "Does anyone know...?"
- "Can someone tell the class...?"
SOME RANDOMIZING AND ROTATING IDEAS:
- Toss a ball
- Label under sit
- Popsicle Sticks
- Deck of Cards - Old Maid
- Synonym/Antonym Partners
- Compass Partners -http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/sites/default/files/posts/u133/pdfs/compass_partners.jpg
- Apps for iPad or phone: Team Shake, Random Name Selector
- Technology Randomizers: Random Name Picker http://www.superteachertools.us/instantclassroom/random-name-generator.php
- Group Maker Tool - http://www.transum.org/software/RandomStudents/
STEP 4: USE TOTAL RESPONSE SIGNALS
Response signals allow students to prepare for oral or written participation.
Response: Every student makes a choice
Signal: Give a response with a signal
What is one thing you will do in your classroom based on today's training?
S- One thing I will try in my classroom is...
S- Turn your butterfly over
S- Share with a partner
A- The person with the shortest hair will share