February 14, 2019
Roosevelt Weekly Parent Info
Hello Roosevelt families! Wow...another crazy weather week!
A few brief reminders for the week--thanks for taking the time to stay in the know:
• Coffee with the Principal: Please join me...this Friday, February 15 at Cub Foods West. Drop your kiddos off at school and swing by for a cup of coffee and some conversation from 7:30-8:30 AM.
• PJ & Stuffed Animal Day is TOMORROW!!!!! Have fun!
• Family Reading Celebration: Please join us for this annual family event on Friday, March 1. Times are as follows:
K - 8:55-9:25
1 - 9:30-10:00
2 - 10:55-11:25 *** May attend lunch at 11:35 if interested.
4 - 11:30-12:00 ***May attend lunch at 12:05 if interested.
3 - 12:35-1:05 ***May attend lunch at 11:50 if interested.
5 - 1:00-1:30
• Order the 2018-19 Roosevelt Yearbook using this link. Yearbook ID: 368671or look up by state and city of Mankato. Order By: Thursday, March 21st. 5th graders get a free yearbook!!! If they want the add-on, they should pay by cash or check once the flyers/envelopes come home (which will be soon). Make sure they indicate their grade on their paperwork.
• SAFETY at drop-off & pick-up: All of the snow is making these times of day even more difficult than usual. That said, safety and common sense must be priority #1. Please, please, please make good choices about how to drop off in the morning or retrieve students at the end of the day. Please do not park in crosswalks. Please do not double park. Please do not wait in places that do not allow traffic to flow. Please do not ask students to cross in the middle of the street. I totally understand that these times can be a challenging. That said, the safety of our students must remain at the top of our priority list. Anything you can do to make this more safe is very appreciated!
• The Mankato Area Public Schools ISD 77 School Board has contracted with School Exec Connect, a superintendent search firm, to assist with the search for a new superintendent. Board members want you to be informed of the process that we will be following as we conduct the search for a new superintendent. Additionally, we hope that you will give your input to assist us in making the best selection possible.
To begin the process, the School Exec Connect consultants will meet with board members, school staff, parents, students and community members individually and in focus groups over the next couple of weeks to determine the challenges, strengths, goals of our district and what characteristics or skills you would like to see in our next superintendent.
You may choose to give your confidential feedback by accessing the Mankato Area Public Schools ISD 77 website at www.isd77.org and completing the online feedback form. All replies will be confidential. Please submit feedback no later than February 26.
School Board, Mankato Area Public Schools ISD 77
Darren Wacker, Chair
Jodi Sapp, Vice-Chair
Judi Brandon, Treasurer
Sara Hansen, Clerk
• When weather causes school to be delayed, or closed, these are the following options for staying informed:
Call the District 77 helpline at 386-4777. This helpline is available 24/7.
Watch/listen to local TV and radio for up-to-date weather announcements.
Roosevelt Elementary does not send out information electronically regarding school closings. Weather related announcements come through District 77, using the above communication channels.
• Are you interested providing in a unique learning opportunity for Roosevelt students? Junior Achievement is a non-profit organization that prepares students for their future in a changing world by educating students about work readiness, financial literacy, and entrepreneurship. Junior Achievement is delivered as a set of 5-6 prepared lessons delivered by parent and/or business volunteer within the classroom. Specifically, we are looking for parents to volunteer in Mrs. Case, Miss Elker, and Mr. Jensen's classrooms. You do not have to have a child in one of those classrooms to volunteer.
Would you like to learn more?
Please contact Angie Sheldrup at email@example.com with any further questions or interest! This opportunity is not available without your help!
• Box Tops & Milk Moola: Please remember to bring in all Box Tops and Milk Moola by the end of February. The submission date for Box Tops is March 1st. The next submission date isn't until November so we don't want any to expire over the summer. Also please send in any Milk Moola. Kwik Trip is discontinuing this program so all submissions must be in by March 31st. The PTO thanks everyone for their collections!
• Rocky Time: At our Tuesday Celebration, we kicked off the next theme of RESPECT & KINDNESS. But today at Rocky Time, we wrapped up STRENGTHS (making up a lesson we missed due to weather). Today we learned about the difference between a growth mindset and a fixed mindset. Ask your kiddos...they should know what this means!!!
• 5th Grade Parents: Please consider attending a DMMS PTA meeting yet this spring. The next meeting is March 18 at 6:00 at DMMS. This would be a great way to bridge the gap between elementary and middle school.
Kudos to these Raccoons for winning reading prizes! Keep reading, Raccoons! Readers are leaders!
A huge shoutout to these staff members for sharing amazing SRR examples from the month. A special shoutout to Ms. Selberg, who overcame her fear of speaking in front of crowds, and JUST DID IT!!!
Our celebration speakers this month???? Roosevelt students who wrote, and then shared, kindness messages and examples. About 15 brave Roosevelt students shared their messages, and they ROCKED IT!!!