GKHS Counseling Digest
Staying Connected to Your Support Network
Your Counseling Team
Danielle Melvin (A-Col), firstname.lastname@example.org
Brad Hostak (Com-Gra), email@example.com
Megan Wardle (Gre-La), firstname.lastname@example.org
Jennie Colgan (Le-Pam), email@example.comJodi Greyeyes (Pan-Sol), firstname.lastname@example.org
Mike Stallman (Som-Z), email@example.com
Katie Kimball, Social Worker, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kelly Woyak, Career Specialist, email@example.com
Emmalee Kronoff, Career Counselor, firstname.lastname@example.org
In this issue...
- Financial Aid Appeals
- TECH SUPPORT Town Hall Meeting
- AP Testing
- Want to be a Link Crew Leader?
- Self Care
- Staying Connected
Colleges May Adjust Financial Aid Based on Change in Circumstances
If someone in your family has lost a job or is working less, colleges may be able to provide more financial aid.
Colleges may adjust financial aid based on a student’s or parent’s job loss, reduced income, loss of benefits (like child support), or even extraordinary medical or dental bills. Each situation is different, and colleges’ requirements vary, so students should contact the financial aid office to talk about options:
- If you’ve already filed a 2020-21 FAFSA or WASFA, talk to the financial aid office about your situation.
- If you haven’t applied for financial aid, it’s not too late. Submit your application, then follow up with the college to discuss changes.
SwiftStudent is a free digital tool for students to learn about the financial aid appeals process.
TECH SUPPORT Town Hall Meeting 5/21 at 6:15pm
From the Career Center...
$$$ Elizabeth Wesley Incentive Award $$$
An exciting award is available to 9th, 10th, and, 11th-grade students called the Elizabeth Wesley Youth Merit Incentive Award. Information and application details are outlined below.
- Qualifying Cumulative GPA is 2.5
- Must be African American 9th, 10th, or 11th-grade student in the following Tacoma/Pierce County school districts- University Place, Tacoma, Clover Park, Franklin Pierce, Puyallup, Bethel and Steilacoom
The Incentive Award
- Students who are awarded will receive a check for $350 at our annual awards ceremony in September 2020! *
3) Ways to apply: All applications are due by midnight on June 30th!
- Go to https://www.ewesleyaward.org/ then “How to apply” and go to the new electronic application/ “On-line Application” Your essay and letters of recommendation will need to be ready to attach. You will not be able to re-enter the application once you start.
- Go to https://www.ewesleyaward.org/ then “How to apply” and print a paper application
- Get a paper application from your school or a community person,
Career & Technical Scholarship - Apply Now!
What: Apply now for the Career and Technical Scholarship provided by the Washington State Opportunity Scholarship program! The Career and Technical Scholarship (CTS) provides Washington state residents with $1,500 per quarter towards an eligible associate degree, certificate or apprenticeship in a trade, STEM or health care field. Funding can be used at any Washington state community or technical college and can be used to cover tuition, fees and other costs of attendance such as housing, transportation, food and more. Visit www.waopportunityscholarship.org to learn more!
When: Complete the short online CTS application between April 6 and June 4, 2020.
Who: High school seniors or matriculated students who earned their diploma or GED in the state of Washington. Explore eligibility criteria through the CTS website.
Amount: Receive up to $1,500 each quarter for the duration of their associate degree, certificate or apprenticeship program. These scholarship funds are flexible and can be used to cover tuition, fees and other costs of attendance such as housing, transportation, food and more
Deadline: Midnight, June 4, 2020
Links for WSOS will be provided soon! Watch for it!
Pioneer Valley PTA Scholarship
More from the Counseling Office...
AP Testing Continues!
Below is a calendar to upcoming test dates and times.
Here is a link to a video created by AP teachers for all AP students: https://youtu.be/A4rEjlzENdk
Thurs. May 21: World History, 11:00 a.m.
Fri. May 22: Statistics, 11:00 a.m.
Fri. May 22: Spanish Language 1:00 p.m.
Tues. May 26: AP Art and Computer Science Principles portfolios due
LATE TESTING DATES
Mon. June 1: AP US Government 9:00 AM
Mon. June 1: AP Calculus: 1:00 PM
Tues. June 2: AP English Literature: 9:00 AM
Tues. June 2: AP Physics: 11:00 AM
Tues. June 2: AP Chemistry: 1:00 PM
Wed. June 3: AP US History: 9:00 AM
Wed. June 3: AP Biology: 1:00 PM
Thurs. June 4: AP World History: 9:00 AM
Thurs. June 4: AP Spanish: 11:00 AM
Thurs. June 4: AP Statistics: 1:00 PM
Thurs. June 5: AP English Language: 9:00 AM
Thurs. June 5: AP Psychology: 1:00 PM
If you are handwriting your AP responses and taking pictures, make sure your picture comes through in the correct format - see picture above.
Sophomores & Juniors Interested in Link Crew Next Year?
If you are a Sophomore or a Junior and you would like to welcome in our new Freshman Class of 2024 to inspire and serve as mentors, please complete this application by May 22nd. https://forms.gle/BRWiJyVeGwao1Fhq5
Link Crew is a high school transition program that welcomes Freshmen and makes them feel comfortable throughout the first year of their high school experience. Built on the belief that students can help students succeed, Boomerang Project’s proven high school transition program trains mentors from your junior and senior classes to be Link Crew Leaders. As positive role models, Link Crew Leaders are mentors and student leaders who guide the freshmen to discover what it takes to be successful during the transition to high school and help facilitate freshman success.
- For the Class of 2020 parents only, please join the GRAHAM KAPOWSIN C/O 2020 Facebook page. Search by that name and request to join. Important information shared!
- You can also join the GKHelp Instagram page...for all students & parents!
- Shower Seniors GKHS Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/694047981362655/?fref=nf
- GK Counseling Center https://www.facebook.com/Graham-Kapowsin-Counseling-Center-363437170733154/
Nutritional Resources & Ordering
Beginning Monday, April 6th the following eight "Meals in Motion" sites will be operating-
- Camas Prairie Elementary School
- Cougar Mountain Middle School
- Graham-Kapowsin High School
- North Star Elementary School (re-opening)
- Roy Elementary School
- Shining Mountain Elementary School (re-opening)
- Spanaway Lake High School
- Spanaway Middle School
ORDER your meals here!