District 13 Update
Summer Planning and Training
The Forsyth Council Needs You!
The Forsyth County Council of PTAs has vacancies in the following positions for 2015-2016: Vice President of Communications, Reflections Chair, Membership Chair, Honoring Our Heroes Chair and Hospitality Chair. If you are interested in serving in any of these positions or would like to learn more about them, please email Dick Workman at email@example.com.
You Got Elected... Now What? Top Ten Things to Do This Summer
- Make sure the books have been sent to audit and that the completed audit is signed by the 2014-2015 President and Treasurer and sent to GA PTA and your Council president. Make sure that someone other than the Treasurer picks the books up from the audit.
- Attend Georgia PTA Convention/Leadership Training (CLT) on July 10-11. You still have time to register!
- Have you already met with your principal yet? That needs to be a top priority. Set up a meeting with your principal to discuss the goals of the school, the administration’s vision, the role of PTA and your PTA’s goals, projects, programs, parent education courses and budget.
- Prepare your budget for the 2015-2016 school year.
- Prepare your calendar for the 2015-2016 school year so that it can be distributed at Open House.
- Review procedure books/records of previous officers and chairpersons and distribute to the new leaders.
- Verify that an audit of the PTA’s books has been properly conducted, signature cards at the bank have been changed, IRS forms have been completed, and that you know your PTA’s Federal (Employer) Identification Number (FIN or EIN). (Early June)
- Review bylaws and make sure all board members have a copy.
- Work with your Membership Chair to develop a membership campaign for 2015-2016 and be ready for Open House.
- Order any new spirit wear that you may need for Open House.
Convention Leadership Training is one month away!
The schedule for CLT has been released here. Check out the classes that are available!
The Districts have an opportunity to have a District Meeting (Saturday from 3:45-4:45) and we will spend that time sharing lots of resources to get you up and running for the school year. We hope to see you there!
Basic Registration $99.00 from May 2 – June 25, 2015
Complete Registration (includes meals) $160.00 until June 25, 2015
On-site Basic Registration $125.00
Want to volunteer to help out at CLT? There is always a need for greeters, tote-bag stuffers, and more! Register to volunteer here.
Since it is a two-day event, many attendees choose to stay overnight in a hotel. You can book at the Convention Rate of $114 at the Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway (which is attached to the Convention Center and the host hotel). Book your room here.
Reflections Leader Training
Input Next Year's Officers
PTA Family Reading Challenge
Studies show that reading daily during summer break is the most important activity to prevent learning loss, especially for younger students. However, busy activity schedules can make it challenging to keep reading a priority, especially by the middle of the summer.
That’s why National PTA and Kindle created the PTA Family Reading Challenge, a campaign to inspire families to keep learning alive by reading great books together. Families can participate in the PTA Family Reading Challenge—and win great prizes—by sharing photos, videos and memories that demonstrate how and why reading together is a fun and treasured family activity.
Want to join?
- Sign-up for this Thunderclap!
- Visit our sign-up page to receive challenge updates, get ideas for reading with your family and may qualify for cool prizes.
- Use the hashtag #FamiliesRead on social media to share how you read together with your family and to be entered to win possible prizes.
Scholarship Fund Winners
- Ellie Slater – 1st grade student at Ball Ground Elementary
- Andrew Rice – 3rd grade student at Bascomb Elementary
- Emma Dickson – 6th grade student at Riverwatch Middle School
- Willian Bourdeau – 6th grade student at Creekland Middle School
- Allison Martin – 10th grade student at Creekview High School
- Austin Griffin – 10th grade student at Creekview High School