For Pet's Sake
John C. Campbell Folk School's Fall Festival
We would like to extend a huge shout out to all the volunteers who made this two day adoption event possible.
10 REASONS TO GIVE THANKS FOR YOUR DOG
Thanksgiving is at this month so naturally, people start to think about all of the things that they are thankful for in their lives especially given the last few years. Most of us have many things to be thankful for, especially if we have a special loved one in our lives, even if the ones that love us most have four legs and fur. There are lots of reasons to give thanks for your dog, but here are just a few reasons to give thanks for your dog.
- They are always happy to see you: After a long day at work or on the road, your dog is always there ready to greet you with incomparable enthusiasm. There is nothing like feeling appreciated at the end of the day.
- Dogs are easy to please: Whether it’s a new toy or just an extra scratch behind the ear, dogs are pretty easy to please. Plus making them happy makes you happy too!
- They help clean your plate: Providing you ate a healthy meal, your dog is always there to lick your plate and pre-wash your dish for you. You get extra clean dishes and they get to feel special because they get to have a little bit of people dinner!
- They’re always up for anything: Whether you’re going to park, out on the lake, or just to the pet store, your dog is always ready and willing to do whatever. This is one of the best things about dogs, they are a constant companion no matter what our day holds.
- They get you moving: Because they are always up for anything, they get you moving as well. Even if it is just walking around the neighborhood or dog park, they help you get your exercise in which is healthy for you both.
- Dogs are great at snuggling: Curling up at night to watch your favorite show, a new movie, or even reading a good book with your dog is one of the best ways to spend the evening. They are always there to snuggle away a bad day or make a good day better.
- Loyalty is unmatched: Your dog will always be there for you, people don’t say that dogs are the most loyal animals for no reason. They really will be there through the thick and thin just to be by your side.
- They protect you: Part of being loyal is also protecting you. Your dog will let you know of danger ahead and also fight as hard as they can to make sure that you are safe.
- They make us happy: People always say that having a dog can extend your life. I’m sure this is true because of how happy they can make you. Letting your stress melt away as you rub your furbaby’s belly is a great way to relax. Not to mention all the love you give and receive on a daily basis.
- Dogs love you unconditionally: Even if you’ve snapped unnecessarily at your pup due to stress, or if you’ve gained a few pounds during the holidays and look a hot mess when you wake up, to your dog it’s all good. They love you all the time no matter what, which is pretty special.
Six games will be played each Bingo Night with a 15 minute intermission after game 3. Card sales are: 3 cards for $10, 6 cards for $15, and 12 cards for $20. Bingo daubers are available for sale at the event. All winners will recieve Cash prizes. Snacks will be for sale or bring your own. A 50/50 will also be happening during the event. Thank you to Rick and Debbie Thompson for sponsoring this event.
All proceeds from this event will benefit Valley River Humane Society Shelter. 501 (c) (3)
VRHS Adoption Events in November
Happy Camper Dog Bowls
Microchip Your Pet Today!
You and your pet belong together!
Your dog or cat’s microchip implant gives your pet the best chance of returning home to you if lost. How do microchips work? Each chip contains a unique ID number that can be read by a microchip scanner and matched with owner information in a comprehensive database. A microchip is effective in reuniting a lost pet with his owner only when the owner’s contact information in the microchip database is accurate. Therefore, it is crucial that you always update your contact information promptly when you move or get a new phone number.
After you adopt a new pet from the VRHS, please register your dog (or cat if chipped) immediately by calling Smart Tag at 1-866-603-6863 or go online at https://www.idtag.com. Pet owners have lifetime memberships included with the adoption of their pets from VRHS. The Smart Tag microchip is a permanent pet ID with a one-time lifetime registration, that also comes with a visible metal Smart Tag pet ID. Different style tags than the ones provided can be ordered online as well.
If you do not know the name of your pet’s microchip company, the 9, 10 or 15 digit microchip number can be input into the microchip registry lookup at the American Animal Hospital Association’s Universal Website: aaha.org. This lookup tool helps you find the registry where your pet’s microchip is listed. The name, phone number and website of your pet’s microchip company will provided, along with the last time the id tag was updated. Alternatively, your local veterinarian and the VRHS can scan your pet for the microchip number.
Any found pet without a tag can be scanned for a microchip. All local veterinarians and the Valley River Humane Society will scan a found pet to help locate its owner. Please help us keep you and your pet together.
Did you know 1 in 3 pets will go missing in their lifetime? We’re partnering with Petco Love Lost to help pets reunite with their families. Petco Love Lost is a free, easy-to-use national resource, using patented pet facial recognition technology to make it easier than ever to find possible matches for lost and found pets. Join us, let’s unite to reunite at petcolovelost.org.
We are thrilled to partner with Petco Love Lost, a central searchable resource helping lost pets reunite with their families. 1 in 3 pets will go missing in their lifetime and almost 10 million pets go missing every year, but, together, we can change the outlook for lost pets.
Petco Love Lost is a free, easy-to-use national resource, using patented pet facial recognition technology to make it easier than ever to find possible matches from community members and shelters like the Valley River Humane Society.
Help lost pets reunite with their families at petcolovelost.org.
You can order directly from Amazon and have it shipped to us!
Our cupboards are getting very bare...please consider donating to our animals, and helping us through these extraordinary times.
We appreciate all the support from our local community and beyond.
Become a Member!
In our community, hundreds of animals each year are abandoned, mistreated, or left to fend for themselves. The VRHS offers several different memberships. The fees are used to help keep the doors to our shelter open. Support for our organization comes mostly from private donations from people like you. Your membership fees will help a great deal!
Consider becoming a member…Your gift can provide neglected and abused animals with shelter, food, medical care, kindness, and a chance to find a forever home!
Ongoing Needs at the Shelter & Thrift Store
We need for the Thrift Store (Monday through Saturday, 10-5)
Back room sorters
We need for the Shelter (Monday through Sunday, never stops as the animals always need care)
Dog Walkers (must be strong)
Kennell Workers (must be strong)
Cat kennel workers
(Volunteers can name their shifts)
Drivers for Special Transports to Cleveland TN (cats - only five at a time). You can use your vehicle.
Back up drivers for Asheville Transports
Drivers for Transports to New York
(this is for Cats Only - much easier than transporting dogs)
We have lost some of our volunteers as they have or are going back to Florida. So the need is GREAT!
VRHS Thrift Store Needs
Volunteers needed! This is an easy and rewarding volunteer opportunity. Come by and talk to us.
Over 40% of all expenses for the Shelter are subsidized by the VRHS Thrift Shop! So, every time you donate to or buy something from the Thrift Shop it REALLY helps.
Anytime you clean out your closet, your basement, your attic, or any other area, please bring those things to us you no longer need or want. We can then turn around and resell those things and those proceeds go to helping the animals. Please visit the Thrift Store often. There are some GREAT bargains and it really helps!
Valley River Humane Society Thrift Store | 1161 U.S. 64, Murphy, NC 28906 | (828) 837-6137
10:00 AM -5:00 PM Monday thru Saturday
For Donations and Adoptions
SHELTER MAILING ADDRESS:
Valley River Humane Society
PO BOX 658
Murphy, NC 28906
Valley River Humane Society
7450 US 19
Marble, NC 28905
- Tuesday thru Saturday……11:00 am thru 4:00 pm
- Sunday and Monday……CLOSED
- Intakes……Tuesday thru Friday 11:00 am thru 3:00pm